Verified Expert in Engineering
Mal has extensive experience building and maintaining both front- & back-end systems in Go, Ruby on Rails, Node.js, and PHP in traditional hosting environments, Amazon's AWS platform, and Heroku. He has worked in teams of all sizes, and prides himself on his communication skills and ability to get the job done.
Git, Sublime Text, Vim Text Editor, Docker, Linux, MacOS
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is a reporting system for retailers to deep dive into their sales data across millions of items sold in real time.
- Technical lead for the next-generation reporting feature for retailers to better understand their business data.
- Implemented Docker containers for continuous integration.
- Implemented seamless migration strategy to a BCrypt password hashing algorithm.
- Contributed to the Java API service that reduced API response times for large calls from multiple tens of seconds to tens of milliseconds.
- Architected an Elasticsearch cluster for real-time bucketing and aggregation of sales and payment data.
- Responsible for the entire product from development and operations to support and business management.
- Implemented a highly scalable queue-based system for receiving, processing, and delivering emails to delivery providers that has handled tens of millions of emails.
- Implement best practice API, with OAuth Bearer Tokens, for consumption by the Angular Front-end and third-party integrators.
- Implemented an Angular Front-end for management of email templates, delivery analytics, email insights, and account management.
- Created a small decoupled "microservice" architecture for important features to avoid high maintenance costs and/or decreased performance of the main application.
- Implemented payments with Stripe.
- Created tooling for application-level replication of Postgres for zero downtime migration from a "locked in" Postgres provider.
Senior Web Developer
- Member of the team that built learnable.com, I was responsible for the Course Builder component that allowed instructors to generate their own courses (comprising of video, articles, and file downloads).
- Built the reporting infrastructure for author royalties from both traditional eCommerce sales and subscription-based revenue apportioning.
- Built a metrics system responsible for targeted advertisements on landing pages based on page content, referrer queries (Google etc.) and custom weightings.
- Maintained legacy eCommerce and email campaign tools.
- Built a screenshot API that returns screenshots of webpages from various devices utilizing Selenium Grid, EC2, and a custom Ruby on Rails application.
Book: Level up Your Web Apps with Go
Learnable: Become a better developerhttps://learnable.com/
AngularJS, Ruby on Rails (RoR), JSON Web Tokens (JWT), OAuth 2, Symfony 2
Redis Queue, Node.js, GitHub API, Twitter API
MacOS, Amazon EC2, WordPress, Linux, iOS, Docker, Heroku
MySQL, JSON, Elasticsearch, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), PostgreSQL, Redis
Front-end, APIs, Multitenancy
Git, GitHub, Vim Text Editor, NGINX, Sublime Text
Distributed Programming, Concurrent Programming