Senior DevOps Engineer2017 - 2020Omnyway
Technologies: AWS, Terraform, Amazon ECS, AWS Fargate, Serverless, Lambda
- Designed and implemented Omnyway's next-generation infrastructure—deployed in redundant multiple active-active AWS regions and built on modern technologies like API Gateway, Lambda, Docker, and ECS/Fargate.
- Built infrastructure as code (IaC) using Terraform and following best practices for agile teams. Automated the process of bringing up entire AWS accounts and environments.
- Implemented security solutions for a highly secure PCI environment, using cloud-based tools such as AWS Lamba, GuardDuty, and Dome9.
AWS Consultant2016 - 2018Zillow
Technologies: AWS, Terraform, Cloud Custodian, Hadoop, Kafka, EMR, Cost Optimization
- Advised and assisted various teams during Trulia's migration from a datacenter to AWS. Trulia is a subsidiary of Zillow.
- Implemented Terraform-based workflows, designing and creating most base modules (e.g., VPC, ALB, Kafka, Hadoop, EMR) that enabled multiple teams to reuse and share Terraform code, which sped up internal onboarding and management of Terraform code.
- Led cost-saving initiatives across all Trulia teams such as using open source tools like Cloud Custodian to take advantage of cloud-based elasticity and on-demand, automated shutting down of unused resources during off-hours to save costs.
Site Reliability Engineer2015 - 2017Thumbtack
Technologies: AWS, Puppet, Security, ELK, Automation, Chaos Engineering
- Provided AWS expertise and cloud-based automation during Thumbtack's migration to AWS. Designed and implemented AWS account separation for a secure and reliable environment.
- Optimized system security with proactive changes such as automated Linux system upgrades that were staged and controlled in various environments.
- Tuned system performance to optimize the efficacy of new and existing ELK clusters. Automated ELK cluster deployment with Terraform.
- Enhanced availability of the infrastructure through planning, thorough testing, automated implementation, and chaos engineering.
Founder, Principal Consultant2013 - 2016Opscale, LLC
Technologies: AWS, GPC, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, Docker
- Founded Opscale to help startups in the Bay Area with their infrastructure automation challenges. Grew the firm to six-person consultancy focused on bringing value to our clients and being very involved in the local DevOps community.
- Consulted to clients such as eBay/Paypal, Deutsche Telekom HBS, Electric Cloud, Balanced, and Continuuity, helping them manage and automate infrastructures using configuration management tools like Chef and Ansible on cloud solutions like AWS or GCP.
- Implemented Docker-based solutions to help clients take advantage of cutting-edge technologies to achieve speed and portability for their businesses.
- Spearheaded DevOps community involvement: co-organized DevOpsDays Silicon Valley, organized the Bay Area Chef Meetup group, founded the Infracoders Bay Area Meetup group, and presented topics like configuration management and monitoring to Meetups.