Verified Expert in Engineering
DevOps Engineer and AWS Developer
Marius is an accomplished DevOps engineer with 10+ years of experience designing and implementing automated, secure, and reliable systems for companies such as AdMob, Thumbtack, and Zillow. He specializes in DevOps culture building through build, package, and release automation; infrastructure coding on AWS; Kubernetes; Terraform; and configuration management, monitoring, and instrumentation.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, Terraform, Vim Text Editor, Git, MacOS, Python, GitHub
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is AdMob—from the first server deployed to the end—when we had thousands of servers before the Google acquisition.
VP of DevOps Practice
- Developed new services and capabilities for the DevOps practice related to Graviton2 migrations and chaos engineering solutions (based on AWS FIS).
- Helped position nClouds as a thought leader in the DevOps space and supported related activities, such as webinars, blog posts, and podcasts.
- Participated in nurturing a critical partnership relationship with AWS.
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Planned and implemented application modernizations and migrations to container-based workloads on Amazon EKS or self-managed Kubernetes clusters, in a well-architected, self-healing, and scalable way for nClouds customers.
- Improved 20 custom Terraform modules, including EKS, ECS, ECR, VPC, SQS, RDS, OpenVPN, and Elasticsearch, by setting up a CI/CD pipeline based on GitHub Actions to validate and test the modules when new changes were submitted.
- Set up a CI/CD pipeline for a Terraform-based IaC deployment to automatically test and push changes in AWS environments. The production environment required manual approval.
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Designed and implemented Omnyway's next-generation infrastructure—deployed in redundant, multiple active-active AWS regions and built on modern technologies like API Gateway, Lambda, Docker, and ECS/Fargate.
- Built infrastructure as code (IaC), using Terraform and following best practices for Agile teams. Automated the process of bringing up entire AWS accounts and environments.
- Implemented security solutions for a highly secure PCI environment, using cloud-based tools such as AWS Lamba, GuardDuty, and Dome9.
- Advised and assisted various teams during Trulia's migration from a data center to AWS. Trulia is a subsidiary of Zillow.
- Implemented Terraform-based workflows, designing and creating most base modules (e.g., VPC, ALB, Kafka, Hadoop, EMR) that enabled multiple teams to reuse and share Terraform code, which sped up internal onboarding and management of Terraform code.
- Led cost-saving initiatives across all Trulia teams, such as using open-source tools, like Cloud Custodian, to take advantage of cloud-based elasticity and on-demand, automated shutting down of unused resources during off-hours to save costs.
Site Reliability Engineer
- Provided AWS expertise and cloud-based automation during Thumbtack's migration to AWS. Designed and implemented AWS account separation for a secure and reliable environment.
- Optimized system security with proactive changes, such as automated Linux system upgrades that were staged and controlled in various environments.
- Tuned system performance to optimize the efficacy of new and existing ELK clusters. Automated ELK cluster deployment with Terraform.
- Increased the availability of the infrastructure through planning, thorough testing, automated implementation, and chaos engineering.
Founder, Principal Consultant
- Founded Opscale to help startups in the Bay Area with their infrastructure automation challenges. Grew the firm to a six-person consultancy focused on bringing value to our clients and being very involved in the local DevOps community.
- Consulted to clients such as eBay/Paypal, Deutsche Telekom HBS, Electric Cloud, Balanced, and Continuuity, helping them manage and automate infrastructures using configuration management tools like Chef and Ansible on cloud solutions like AWS or GCP.
- Implemented Docker-based solutions that helped clients take advantage of cutting-edge technologies to achieve speed and portability for their businesses.
- Spearheaded DevOps community involvement: co-organized DevOpsDays Silicon Valley, organized the Bay Area Chef Meetup group, founded the Infracoders Bay Area Meetup group, and presented topics like configuration management and monitoring to Meetups.
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Assisted clients in managing and automating their infrastructures: AdMob and Episodic (both acquired by Google), Card.io (acquired by eBay), Demandforce (Intuit), ChooChee (Deutsche Telekom), and Zuberance.
- Assisted in building scalable solutions by using cloud infrastructures, such as AWS or Rackspace, for most projects.
- Performed configuration management, using tools like Opscode, Chef, and Puppet.
- Built a solution for a scalable private cloud based on OpenStack and automated the cluster setup and high-availability deployment.
Linux System Administrator
- Managed high-traffic sites for various clients, configuring high-availability solutions, load balancing, and various clustering solutions, using open-source implementations.
- Ensured application scalability and conducted performance tuning on various systems, using Apache and PHP; Lighttpd; Nginx; and MySQL clustering, replication, and proxy.
- Managed security and monitoring for Linux servers and Cisco firewalls and routers.
- Worked on various flavors of Linux distributions, including Debian and Ubuntu; Red Hat, CentOS, and Fedora; SUSE; Slackware; and Gentoo.
Python, Bash Script, Ruby, Bash, SQL
Terraform, Chef, GitHub, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), Git, Vim Text Editor, AWS Fargate, AWS CloudFormation, AWS CLI, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Amazon EKS, Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR), Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS), Boto, Shell, Packer, Amazon CloudWatch, Puppet, Ansible, Jenkins, ELK (Elastic Stack), GitLab, GitLab CI/CD, Grafana, Helm
DevOps, Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Integration (CI), DevSecOps
Linux, Kubernetes, Docker, Debian, Red Hat Linux, Ubuntu, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Unix, MacOS, Amazon EC2, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), AWS Lambda, ARM Linux, Apache Kafka
MongoDB, Datadog, Databases, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, Ingres
Security, Open Source, Serverless, Networking, AWS DevOps, System Administration, Linux Administration, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Cost Reduction & Optimization, CI/CD Pipelines, Cloud Security, Linux Server Administration, Monitoring, AWS Certified DevOps Engineer, Amazon RDS, HAProxy, Shell Scripting, AWS Certified Solution Architect, Chaos Engineering, DevOps Engineer, ECS, GitOps, Pulumi, Prometheus, ARM, AWS Graviton2, AWS Fault Injection Simulator (FIS), AWS Cloud Development Kit (CDK), EMR
AWS Certified DevOps Engineer Professional
AWS Certified Security – Specialty
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional
Amazon Web Services (AWS)