Verified Expert in Engineering
Mark is an experienced software developer, and the thing he loves most about it is learning new skills and building new things. He's comfortable getting his hands dirty anywhere in the stack and has expertise from as low-level as microcontroller programming up to front-end web development. Mark's professional experience at Palantir, Google, and Loon taught him to deliver polished, high-quality software, and he is excited to apply those skills to whatever his clients' teams need.
Linux, Bazel, NPM, PlatformIO, Vim Text Editor, Git
The most amazing...
...SSH session I've had is logging into an LTE system floating somewhere over Kenya under a huge helium balloon to run diagnostics. Console lag never felt so cool.
Senior Full-stack Software Engineer
Azimuth Industries Inc.
- Built a time series data visualization app consisting of REST and GraphQL back-end APIs and an interactive front end using TypeScript, React, Tailwind CSS, and Visx, enabling an early-stage startup to go from zero to MVP on schedule.
- Designed a data model and plugin engine that enables the product to easily integrate with any customer data set.
- Provided code reviews and design feedback to newer engineers as the team grew.
- Designed and implemented a variety of diagnostics for the long-term evolution (LTE) subsystem using C++ and gRPC, which enabled the lab and hardware teams to automatically detect and address hardware issues and optimize LTE performance.
- Collaborated with the lab, hardware, and production teams to deploy the above diagnostics to all payloads in the international fleet of balloons.
- Maintained and enhanced a custom fleet of Raspberry Pi-based LTE probes deployed abroad in service regions.
- Implemented gRPC service fakes in Go and hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) tests in C++ for the LTE subsystem, which caught a number of software bugs before they were able to affect production.
- Developed data analysis pipelines in C++ and SQL-based dashboards to monitor and diagnose test failures.
- Implemented, maintained, and debugged HIL tests using Python and OpenHTF that exercised a payload composed of many interconnected embedded Linux subsystems.
- Designed and implemented a variety of gRPC test infrastructure services in Go that interfaced with embedded Linux, U-Boot, and RTOS subsystems.
- Designed and delivered a HIL test framework and supporting disk security Python libraries used by all hard disk drive (HDD) HIL tests at Google.
- Implemented a variety of black box HIL tests in Python for HDD devices.
- Implemented solid state drives (SSD) erase verification tool using C++ and a vendor-custom extension of the SATA protocol.
- Enhanced Flume and MapReduce data pipelines and SQL-based dashboards monitoring Google's fleet of millions of storage devices.
- Mentored an Engineering Resident program—a new-grad rotational program—for four months while they implemented HDD fuzz testing.
Center for Architecture Science and Ecology
- Designed and delivered a portable air quality sensor node based on the Cypress PSoC 5.
- Interfaced with various sensors and I/O devices via digital, analog, I2C, and SPI interfaces.
- Implemented data offload via XBee into a PostgreSQL database and live web-based visualizations using D3.js.
Forward Deployed Engineer Intern
- Designed, developed, and deployed a web-based dashboard for monitoring server health using MySQL, Dropwizard, and Angular.
- Integrated enhanced email alerts into an internal monitoring system.
- Devised a database replication method for syncing monitoring data across multiple deployments.
Active Modular Phytoremediation System Building-integrated Testbedhttps://www.case.rpi.edu/research/psacii
I designed and implemented a PSoC 5-based sensor node capable of monitoring gas and VOC levels in the air and offloading the data wirelessly to a central database, where it could be visualized using D3.js.
Campervan Smart Homehttps://github.com/markbradley27/henrietta
Python API, Node.js, React, D3.js
Express.js, Angular, gRPC, Django, Dropwizard, Gin-Gonic, Tailwind CSS
Bazel, NPM, Vim Text Editor, Git, MQTT, Digi XBee
Linux, Embedded Linux, Raspberry Pi, Docker
Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) Testing, Microcontroller Programming, PlatformIO, Long-term Evolution (LTE), Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) Protocol, PSoC 5, APIs, Visx
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - Troy, NY, USA