Lead Software Engineer2019 - 2019Emerlyn
Technologies: Clojure, Java, Go, Terraform
- Led teams of up to seven developers and operational personnel, moving from a traditional NOC model to DevOps. Brought all teams into incident response procedures and processes.
- Instrumented then migrated from on-prem to AWS using EKS.
- Moved teams from cowboy project management into an XP agile system, defining software development lifecycle and related activities. Served as the project manager for several teams and supported others working as a project manager.
Senior Site Reliability Engineer2018 - 2019Virta Health
Technologies: New Relic, PostgreSQL, Python, Node.js, Terraform
- Designed and implemented a centralized computational platform based on Kubernetes, bringing in service maintained by the organization under the platform. Initially targeted AWS EKS, however, moved to GCP.
- Led the socializing and implementation of service level objectives across the entire company's software inventory, including finding teams responsible for each service.
- Designed and implemented a system to monitor and alert based on service level objectives and indicators against New Relic in Node.js.
- Built and delivered the incident management process, including in the moment, post mortem, monthly, quarterly, and yearly reviews. Supported teams at the time of incidents, identified trends, and improved processes based on feedback.
Software Engineer2016 - 2018Rhumbix
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Firebase, PostgreSQL, Terraform, Heroku, AWS, iOS, Android, React, Ruby, Node.js, Python
- Instilled a culture of IaC plus a 24x7 system monitoring and incident response as the DevOps lead. Migrated systems from Heroku to AWS, becoming technically DoD CC SRG Level 2 compliant. Built on AWS ECS (Docker) providing zero-downtime deployments.
- Designed and built continuous integration (CI) and continuous delivery (CD) pipelines from Git through the entire app lifecycle.
- Brought in as a remote engineer to supplement application development efforts in Android, iOS, Django, and Node.js; backed by PostgreSQL. Converted an iOS application from Objective-C to Swift.
Senior Software Engineer2015 - 2015SkySlope
Technologies: Cordova, Java, Android, Objective-C, iOS, AngularJS, Microsoft SQL Server, C#
- Built out a secure digital signing platform's authentication and authorization system, including integration into the larger system.
- Brought in and instilled a culture of continuous integration, including implementing pipelines. Developed several gated deploys.
- Took over as lead for the mobile vertical, building out CI/CD pipelines.
Senior Data System Developer2013 - 2014CoreLogic
Technologies: Subversion (SVN), Docker, Linux, SSH, RMI, Spring MVC, Spring, C++, Java
- Built ETL tools allowing analysts to verify large datasets (30+ GB) using programmable distributed computation before being loaded into data warehouses.
- Optimized computational complexity (speed + time) and development time in the business logic engine applied against incoming data sets. Reduced the total execution time by 20%, while reducing time to implement new rulesets by 80%.
- Improved the developer experience by introducing (new to them) tools like Git and Docker.
Software Engineer2012 - 2013StreamSend
Technologies: Ruby on Rails (RoR), PostgreSQL, Akka, Scala, Java, Ruby
- Built an analytics system for tracking e-mail marketing performance across organizations, written in Ruby on Rails.
- Optimized an existing feature flagging system to greatly reduce computational and space complexity. Gained a 6% improvement across the entire system.
- Developed a prototype system in Scala + Akka backed by Cassandra to replace a Ruby on Rails legacy.
Software Engineer IV2011 - 2012LexisNexis
Technologies: REST, RMI, Apache Wicket, Spring MVC, Spring, Java
- Converted a build system from Ant to Maven. Helped to improve CI practices across the organization.
- Implemented a set of Ajax/SPA-like components in Wicket to meet a Web2.0 feel, including building custom bridges into JSP and JSF legacy code.
- Built a business logic engine based on Drools to be applied to the business domain, able to run at multiple stages and lifecycles of the application.
Java Developer2011 - 2011Eyefinity
Technologies: jQuery, Backbone.js, Spring MVC, Spring, Java
- Built a production system from a proof of concept for a small team.
- Advocated best practices for building systems resulting in a reduction of build times to one third.
- Reduced QA man-hour efforts by 20% with automated acceptance tests.