Data Scientist2020 - PRESENTBoutique Health Consultancy (Contract)
Technologies: Bayesian Statistics, Causal Inference, Data Analysis, Statistical Methods, Windows, Microsoft Excel, Pandas, Scrum, Agile, Python, Machine Learning, Tableau, Test-driven Development (TDD), Excel VBA, Parquet
- Developed scalable analytics tools on a healthcare data project for a boutique healthcare consultancy’s analytics team. Led on software engineering and ETL intensive tasks.
- Moved Python code away from notebooks, with some refactoring, into a more robust system; I have introduced best practices in software engineering, e.g., logging, unit testing, or modularization of code.
- Developed ETL pipelines with Parquet files and analytics tools to reduce the team’s time spent on ad-hoc requests, with a long-term view of making the analytics more self-serve for the client.
- Automated the generation and sending of data outputs, e.g., with Microsoft Teams Flows or BAT scheduling.
- Automated advanced Excel outputs, with a mix of Python libraries such as Xlwings or Openpyxl.
Data Scientist2018 - 2020Triptease
Technologies: Bayesian Statistics, Causal Inference, Data Analysis, Google BigQuery, Statistical Methods, Microsoft Excel, Pandas, Git, Agile, Machine Learning, SaaS, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), BigQuery, SQL, Looker, Python
- Developed logic for systematically managing hotels' online presence on metasearch advertising channels, harnessing their unique characteristics and multiple data sources. Helped to launch the MVP and iterate logic once we had more customers.
- Built dashboards and tooling to help our cross-functional squad monitor the health of the metasearch product; e.g., anomaly detection system, integration health, or model and product performance.
- Developed internal Python libraries to analyze our data more robustly and systematically. Automated dozens of my common analytics tasks and modeling workflow.
- Delivered a talk at PyData London 2019 conference on the applications of causal inference to hotel websites.
- Undertook research that influenced the sales process (e.g., new "guard rails"), budget optimization, and models tailored to hoteliers' different objectives (e.g., whether to optimize acquisition or the return on ad spend).
- Upskilled and onboarded new colleagues, such as data analysts, on parts of our tech stack.
- Undertook the largest A/B test of on-site messaging across thousands of hotel websites. Wrote up the white paper on the test results and discussed the test in a webinar with customers.
Data Analyst2018 - 2018Triptease
Technologies: Bayesian Statistics, Causal Inference, Data Analysis, Google BigQuery, Statistical Methods, Microsoft Excel, Pandas, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Git, Agile, Machine Learning, SaaS, Python, BigQuery, SQL, Looker
- Ran multiple A/B tests to demonstrate the value of Triptease’s products to the largest hotel groups. The rigorous process and outputs contributed to reducing client churn in Q1 2018.
- Increased the efficiency and effectiveness of the original A/B testing process via, e.g., reporting templates, automation of tasks, or dashboard and tool development.
- Undertook analysis and research that led to development of new product and platform features.
- Analyzed conversational data with NLP to refine the front desk chatbot product, which led to higher accuracy.
- Assisted in the hiring of new data scientists in H2 2018 (and eventually moved into a data science role in a new squad).
Analyst/Consultant2017 - 2017Self-employed
Technologies: Data Analysis, Statistical Methods, Economics, Windows, Microsoft Excel, BigQuery, SQL, Looker
- Contracted at Triptease as a data analyst for one month before moving into a permanent role.
- Developed strategy and evidence bases for supporting the startup of new universities internationally (consultancy for Susan Jackson Associates).
- Undertook quantitative and qualitative analysis on international higher education policy.
Consultant2015 - 2017Public and Corporate Economic Consultants (PACEC)
Technologies: Data Analysis, Statistical Methods, Economics, Windows, STATA, Tableau, Microsoft Excel
- Authored a publication on England's knowledge exchange (KE) policy and developed a database tool for monitoring universities' KE strategies as part of one of our largest consultancy projects (£100,000+). I wrote the proposal.
- Wrote the baseline evaluation report for the Newton Fund, a £735 million fund to develop UK research partnerships in 15 countries. Developed the quantitative analysis methodology and became an SME on international research partnerships.
- Authored dozens of pieces of research on economic policy and higher education policy for clients at different levels of government, e.g., UK central government, local authorities, local enterprise partnerships, public-private consortia, etc.
- Introduced and applied new technology to our analytics, e.g., use of Tableau.