Python Developer in Córdoba, Cordoba, Argentina
Python Developer2013 - 2016Stayful (via Toptal)
Technologies: Python, Underscore.js, jQuery, MongoDB, Jenkins CI
- Worked on a highly responsive website by using jQuery, Underscore.js, and some other nifty tools in the Front-End.
- Connected the back-end application to MongoDB for improved performance.
- Created several website crawlers to get data points needed for the site.
- Developed unit tests to maintain a stable codebase, connected to Jenkins CI for continuous integration and regression testing.
- Came up with an extranet for easier communication with hoteliers to enter their rooms information.
Python Developer2012 - 2012Storytree.me (via toptal)
Technologies: Python, RabbitMQ, AWS
- Reworked the signup process to include new web pages, tracking of users, conversion to paid users, and other metrics.
- Implemented A/B testing to capture the conversion rate and other metrics.
- Utilized Celery and other underlying technologies connected with RabbitMQ, Memcached, and MySQL running on top of RDS (AWS).
- Created a RESTful API to interact with the mobile version of the application (iOS) in an easy manner.
- Connected the back-end to Zencoder service to handle media conversion for the final user.
- Improved the response time of the website and the iOS application by adding cached objects and an asynchronous tasks queue.
Python Developer2012 - 2012Santex America
- Developed web features in Python using Django and Django non-rel on Google App Engine, Web app framework, and HRD (High Replication Datastore).
- Used Django non-rel and Web app back-end along with a jQuery, HTML, and CSS3 front-end.
- Developed a document library for SEC reporting that allowed users to upload sensitive documents for sharing with in-house teams.
- Developed a project management tool that allowed a user to manage relevant human resources (e.g., hours worked by certain individuals) in a project, along with the user's own assignments.
Developer2011 - 2012wAirHouse (via toptal)
Technologies: PyQt4, CouchDB, JSON, Tornado, CouchDB
- Developed social networking application using PyQt4, CouchDB, JSON, and Tornado (async web server) that lets user add contacts and distribute content across a torrent-like network.
- Included a rich file previewer to open PDF and image (JPG/GIF/PNG) files in same application.
- Embedded a commenting system in same application to enable user comments for content; contents were then fed into a "newsfeed".
- Implemented a filesystem watcher to detect content changes and update parts of the UI correspondingly.
- Connected CouchDB with the UI via using a simple interface with Tornado, map/reduce to massage the data and retrieve documents appropriately.
Developer, System Administration2010 - 2012IBM
Technologies: PHP, Python, Bash, Ksh, PyQt4
- Developed several internal tools using PHP, Python (PyQt4 libraries, among others), bash, and ksh.
- Built a PHP web application consisting of a SRM (Server Resources Manager) statistics analyzer that, given an input obtained from the SRM Portal, collected and outputted all statistics using tables.
- Created a Python application that used PyQt4 on the front-end. Through calls to an API, communicated with a ServiceNow.com instance to retrieve tickets assigned to a team. Automatic dispatch based on specific rules was configurable.
Scripts Developer2009 - 2010Hewlett Packard
Technologies: Perl, PNR, EDW
- Developed a Perl scripting for processing PNR (Passenger Name Records) for American Airlines's EDW (Enterprise Datawarehouse) department.
- Tied together several scripts to process in-transit PNRs, collect statistics for flights and passengers.
- Created several scripts that interacted with C programs for heavy computation. All output was then stored in a centralized data warehouse for later use in statistical analysis and reporting.
Developer, System Administration2007 - 2009Communication Partner SRL
Technologies: Gentoo, Debian, Asterisk, OpenSER, PHP, MySQL, Perl, Bash, Tcl, Python
- Developed, as well as locally and remotely administrated telecommunication equipment. Specific focus on internet, telephony (VoIP, analog telephony), and television. Additionally, administrated Linux servers (Gentoo, Debian).
- Used Asterisk, OpenSER and several other VoIP applications to deploy cheap VoIP networks throughout Argentina.
- Developed ISP management tool using PHP/MySQL, as well as Perl, bash, Tcl/Tk, and Python. Tool allowed user to interact with ISP regular equipment such as DSLAMs (for xDSL customers), CMTS (cable modem termination system), and others.
- Designed all value-added services (e.g., email (with anti-spam feature), DNS, web page hosting) so as to allow administrator to create, modify and delete several aspects of said services (e.g., create virtual hosts, DNS records, email aliases).
- Stayful (Development)
Boutique hotels are a business worth about $30bn a year. Stayful brings the possibility to connect avid travelers with the emerging market of boutique hotels by a really intuitive yet complex interface behind while including an innovating bidding algorithm to ensure the best price every time.
- Cuevana Links (Development)https://bitbucket.org/tin_nqn/cuevanalinks/src/079843334332
PyQt desktop front-end to the CuevanaLinks API which was used to gather media from Cuevana.tv. It includes progress bars for downloading stuff, queuing of downloads, titles description (along with thumbnails retrieval), downloading of associated subtitles (Spanish, Portuguese, English), video playing of (buffered) contents, and many things more.
- VoIP/ISP management tool (Development)http://ispmanager.cescom.net.ar/
Tool allows VoIP providers to comprehensively manage various services.
- wAirHouse (Development)http://embed.vidyard.com/landingpage/GbRSZKigM-49rKO6PRNgKw
Social networking application using PyQt4, CouchDB, JSON, and Tornado. This application included a wide range of features, such as: content management across torrent-like network, file sharing, PDF and image previews, and an embedded commenting system.
- StoryTree (Development)http://storytree.me/
Social networking app that makes relatives be in touch with their loved ones in an easy way.
Django web application which includes a complete website plus the backend of a mobile based application. Thorough use of a RESTful API (django-piston) for implementing a CRUD interface to the many models the application has. Strong usage of Celeryd for async tasks queue, Django South for database schema/data migrations, and many more.
- Buggy Python Code: The 10 Most Common Mistakes That Python Developers Make (Publication)Python's simple, easy-to-learn syntax can mislead Python developers -- especially those who are newer to the language -- into missing some of its subtleties and underestimating the power of the language. In this article, Toptal's Martin Chikilian presents a "top 10" list of somewhat subtle, harder-to-catch mistakes that can trip up even the most advanced Python developer.
- Control Your Laptop with an Android Phone using Python, Twisted, and Django (Publication)It’s always fun to put your programming skills on display. A while back, I figured it’d be cool to try and control my laptop via my Android mobile device. Think about it: being able to play and pause music, start and stop programming jobs or downloads, etc., all by sending messages from your phone. Neat, huh?
- Martin is a mentor in the Toptal Global Mentor’s Program. This program is a partnership between Toptal and General Assembly to provide high quality mentorship for students from minority and low income backgrounds who are looking to begin their careers as professional software engineers. Martin shows commitment to diversity in tech by mentoring a General Assembly student every week for a year, covering everything from coding tips and tricks to advice on making it in the industry.
Libraries/APIsPyQt, jQuery, jQuery UI, Underscore.js
ToolsGitHub, Git, Subversion (SVN), Celery, RabbitMQ
ParadigmsObject-oriented Programming (OOP), Agile Software Development, Scrum, Test-driven Development (TDD)
PlatformsLinux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Windows, Google App Engine, MacOS
StorageMySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, CouchDB, NoSQL
FrameworksBottle, Django, GAE, WebApp
- Partially completed bachelor’s degree in Electronics Engineering2003 - 2006Universidad Nacional de Córdoba - Córdoba, Argentina