Verified Expert in Engineering
Executive Management Developer
Martin is a cross-functional executive with expertise in risk management and process improvement, data privacy laws, cyber security products, security program leadership, IT Ops, cloud computing and migration, digital transformation, product, service, innovation management, mobility, big data analytics, DevSecOps, ITILv4, SOC, fraud, APT, forensic, malware, IIoT, CoT and contract and vendor negotiations. Martin has also experience in achieving compliance with multiple risk management frameworks.
NIST, PCI DSS, SOC 2, SOX, GDPR, California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Financial Services, DevSecOps
The most amazing...
...experiences I've held comprise 20+ years of experience building and managing enterprise security risk management across the board rooms of multiple businesses.
- Established an enterprise security risk management program within one year across the global multi-national technology and manufacturing organization.
- Rolled out ISO 27001 and ISO 27701 certifications for R&D and Manufacturing organizations within 1.5 years, five years ahead of schedule.
- Launched a third-party risk management program as part of the product procurement and vendor management program.
CEO | CIO, CISO, CRO, CCO Consultant
Analytic Risk Intelligence Management
- Founded an IT ops, security, and risk management consulting company through which I built consulting teams for HP, GDIT, and KPMG to perform DevSecOps, audits, and risk assessments.
- Expanded the service portfolio offering to include 25 services in global risk and compliance, information assurance, and IT operations and executed eight contract engagements through teaming agreements with KPMG, HP, IBM, and GDIT.
- Transformed John Deere's SDLC process to a Scrum-at-Scale lifecycle, reducing the release cycle from 6 months to 4 weeks. Led its international security RA process adding security standards and best practices that reduced security code faults by 76%.
- Achieved FISMA certification for GDIT-Health organization cloud deployment and HITRUST certification of WorkTerra at CareerBuilder. Awarded a $2 billion contract transforming the IT DevSecOp at Wolter Kluwer.
- Reduced $80 million in IT ERM exposure by implementing data loss protection, IdAM, IoT management, and Blockchain for supply chain management and increased risk awareness with ERM processes documenting $50 million in risk at Smithfield Foods.
- Produced RA reports that identified $100 million in privacy and data exposure risk for funding justification for the California Department of Technology (CDT).
- Reduced the third-party risk management process cost by $1 million and operational risk of $20 million for non-compliance to PCI-DSS at the Navy Federal Credit Union.
- Implemented risk scoring and reporting capability to reduce $20 million in operational risk and improve response time by 60% at Verisk Analytics and DLP tools at Alison Transmission, which also completed SOC-2 certification.
- Owned customer voice in deploying managed security services offerings at GDIT and HP. At HHS, I reduced risk by $20 million and IT operational costs by $10 million by implementing SaaS GRC integration.
- Rolled out VISA's big data platform reducing fraud detection time by 300%, and Capital One's big data analytic platform, improving the operational efficiency of creditworthiness by 400%.
CISO | CRO | Senior Cyber-intel Managing Director
- Spearheaded 120 people and four programs at the Department of Defense (DoD), Intelligence Community, Department of Homeland Security, and Security and Exchange Commission.
- Grew BAE Systems' cyber operations business to a $300 million business with 40 contracts.
- Built partnerships with vendors and the supply chain for a unified partnering ecosystem that provided the best value proposition for commercial and government contract awards.
- Took responsibility for building and running security programs for five agencies.
- Owned the voice of the customer for cyber reveal and net reveal development.
- Took accountability for the voice of the customer for ESRI flight planning and mapping for the intelligence drone program.
- Transformed Security Operations Center (SOC) processes by integrating threat intelligence from Information Sharing and Analysis Centers (ISAC) into the incident response processes.
- Developed and implemented programs for information warfare, computer network defense, computer network exfiltration, and computer network attacks.
CIO | CISO | Program Managing Director
- Managed 65 people and reported directly to the CIO at the DoD.
- Developed and implemented a security strategy for the GiG bandwidth to the Edge (BE) program for the warfighter.
- Reduced the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) GiG-BE program operating costs by 6% by implementing stronger encryption and more efficient hardware.
CIO | CISO | Program Engineering Director
- Led 40 people and reported directly to the CIO of the FAA.
- Developed and implemented a security strategy for securing weather radars and navigation beacons across the US.
- Provided presentation style, hands-on technical training, and knowledge transfer for enterprise security offerings.
I reviewed the identity access management products and facilitated a team consensus. We selected SailPoint's cloud-based identity-as-a-service (IDaaS) as their service can scale to meet the company's one million international users. It also provided identity governance to meet international compliance requirements and reduced pricing by recapturing the investment in on-premise SailPoint servers. Additionally, SailPoint-as-a-service integrates with the current privilege access management system (CyberArk).
Further, I reviewed the IT investment in data loss protection (DLP) and cloud access security broker (CASB) technology. I also built data loss protection use-case and business requirements that required forwarding proxy, reverse proxy, and API proxy capabilities.
The second key gap was the lack of an information security architecture and the use of standards in the service design phase of the service delivery lifecycle (SDLC). To help mature the SDLC, I facilitated the introduction of DevSecOps tools as outlined in the Verisk Analytics tools stack. Jira was implemented along with a formal requirement tracking module from Deviniti.
As an implementation example, I introduce the mobile device security reference architecture, additionally with BYOD and IoT functional architecture review and mapping to compliance standards.
The governance allows deployment if the risk score is below an agreed-upon level. The risk score is calculated from input from multiple sources, such as DevSecOps tools, requirements, system architecture, development team skill level, and more.
VISA Card Processing
General Dynamic Health Solutions
• Asset management: ServiceNow, BMC, ManageEngine, MMSoft, Opsgenie, Asset Panda, SysAid
• Vulnerability management: Rapid7, Qualys, Beyond Trust, Tenable, Symantec, Tripwire, Retina
• Endpoint Protection: Symantec, CrowdStride, Sophos, Trend Micro, Carbon Black, Trend Micro
• Patch management – SCCM, Intune, BigFix, Ivanti, SysAid, ITarian, Cld Mgn St, MngEgn, SolarWinds
• Risk management – MetricStream, RSA, IBM, ServiceNow, LogicManager, RiskConnect, RSAM
HP's Hadoop, Anatomy, Vertica, Enterprise ArcSight, and N-applications platform (HAVeN) was deployed for complex strategic big data applications. The reference architectures below were used for HP's anti-money laundering (AML), SOC, and insider threat detection products which were applications built to run on the HAVeN platform.
DevSecOps, Agile, HIPAA Compliance
AWS IoT, Blockchain
IT Security, Security, Cybersecurity, Banking & Finance, Telecommunications
NIST, PCI DSS, SOC 2, SOX, GDPR, California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Executive Management, Certified Information Systems Security Professional, Risk Models, Enterprise Risk Management (ERM), Cloud, Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), Manufacturing, Research, Contract Negotiations, Program Management, Portfolio Management, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Procurement, Strategic Planning & Execution, Technical Program Management, Strategic Partnerships, Execution, Global Project Management, Information Security, Identity & Access Management (IAM), Data Protection, Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB), Privileged Access Management (PAM), IT Management, Policy Development, Security Policies & Procedures, Financial Services, Fintech, Fintech Consultant, Policies & Procedures Compliance, Risk Management, IT, Security Architecture, Vulnerability Assessment, Architecture, PCI, Acquisitions, Business Services, IT Systems Architecture, Business Process Automation, Business Process Modeling, GRC, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Neural Networks, Deep Neural Networks, Optical Networks, IPsec, Signal Encryption, Operational Data Store (ODS), Transactions, Analytics, Big Data, Security Operations Centers (SOC), System Integration, Global Risk, Compliance, Fraud Prevention, ISO 27001, ISO 31000
Ruby on Rails API
Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering
University of Virginia - Charlottesville, VA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
North Carolina State University - Raleigh, NC, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
North Carolina State University - Raleigh, NC, USA
Cloudera Certified Hadoop Developer (CCHD)
Certified Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
Program Management Professional (PgMP)
Project Management Institute (PMI)
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute (PMI)
Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)