Vice President of Software Engineering2020 - PRESENTNoonean, Inc.
Technologies: Firebase, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Spring Boot, React, TypeScript
- Co-founded an early-stage startup focused on the application of natural language processing for enterprise search and chatbots.
- Built a chatbot's front end as a hybrid mobile app using Cordova, React, TypeScript, WebAssembly, Firebase, and WebSockets.
- Developed a chatbot's back-end platform using Spring Boot, NLP, Google Voice Services, and Solr.
Director of Software Engineering2013 - 2020Visa, Inc.
Technologies: iOS, Android, Oracle, JPA, Spring, Mentorship, Leadership
- Built and managed teams of 10-15 developers; wore many hats in this role, including architect, scrum master, project manager, coder, coach, and therapist.
- Improved developer throughput by instituting organization-wide CD/CD best practices to eliminate long-standing environment stability problems.
- Brought many high-profile projects from inception to production, including Visa Checkout, Apple Pay/Android Pay, and a white-label mobile banking solution that is published in the app stores by over 100 different banks.
- Worked closely with developers via architecture and code reviews as well as establishing engineering best practices. Technologies included Spring, Java, JPA, Kotlin, React, Android, and iOS.
Senior Staff Engineer2011 - 2015X.commerce (eBay)
Technologies: RabbitMQ, MongoDB, JPA, Spring Boot, Spring, Java
- Served as a technical contributor and team lead owning the responsibility for the development of the eCommerce messaging platform applications for the web.
- Made instrumental contributions to XOCL, a DSL for describing the interactions, states, functions, and transactions between eCommerce entities on “Fabric,” serving as a distributed environment for eCommerce.
- Developed a Page Objects end-to-end web testing framework to ensure the highest quality of the project's web UI front end.
Senior Staff Engineer2008 - 2011Alcatel Lucent
Technologies: Maven, JSP, Gradle, Spring, Java
- Served as a critical technical contributor for new product development and maintenance of legacy products.
- Transitioned the legacy build system to a mainstream environment based on Maven 2 and Atlassian Bamboo.
- Helped transition the team toward an Agile approach by accelerating standards and protocols which proved instrumental in enhancing the overall test automation experience.
Senior Staff Engineer2007 - 2008TwoWire, Inc.
Technologies: Spring, Java
- Collaborated directly with the senior director and vice president to build the development team that was responsible for creating a new suite of Java web applications.
- Developed deployment automation to help increase production deployment stability and predictability.
- Introduced the use of the Spring Framework to replace a legacy homegrown Java infrastructure.
Software Architect | Co-founder2006 - 2007Jwaala
Technologies: Ruby on Rails (RoR), Spring, Java
- Spearheaded the design and development of a next-generation online banking app—enabling consumers to manage finances with advanced budgeting and reporting tools. It was acquired by a large financial institution and is still being used today.
- Facilitated the introduction of this application with an initial rollout for Amplify Credit Union.
Senior Engineer1999 - 2006Broadjump | Motive
Technologies: Java, C++
- Was recruited to work at Broadjump because of my experience in online gaming and broadband.
- Made strong individual contributions, working as a key member of the engineering staff in C++ and Java.
- Gained a reputation as a very productive engineer with a low-bug rate.