Verified Expert in Engineering
Marty is a lifelong coder with tons of leadership experience. As a strong individual contributor, he loves writing code, solving challenges, and inventing new things. Marty is at his best when working with and mentoring other like-minded computer nerds.
IntelliJ, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), MacOS, Windows
The most amazing...
...thing I've done was teach myself machine learning and apply it to real-world problems within six months.
Senior Software Engineer
Free Market Inc.
- Designed and executed the technology strategy and architecture independently from the ground up, guaranteeing robust security, scalability, and accessibility to a diverse audience.
- Used Solidity for the on-chain EVM workflow engine, TypeScript for the SDK, and React for a drag-and-drop workflow development IDE.
- United a multifaceted team of in-house colleagues and industry partners to efficiently bring the platform to market, focusing on design, marketing, and customer support.
- Established coding standards and repeatable patterns to ensure development efforts scale as we onboard more developers. New developers have become productive in contributing to the platform in less than one day.
- Pioneered an on-chain protocol capable of interfacing with decentralized finance primitives, uniquely allowing asset 'bridging' and seamless continuation of workflows across diverse blockchains - a first in the industry.
Senior Back-end Engineer | Systems Architect
Play One Up
- Established effective architecture and implementation for a complete rewrite of the company's back-end system.
- Introduced project management best practices using Jira for planning and tracking.
- Introduced GraphQL to replace REST and provide efficient and flexible querying between the front and back ends.
- Provided mentorship to the company's recently promoted CTO.
Senior Software Engineer
- Led technical efforts to bring Noonean’s NLP-driven enterprise search platform to production and facilitated acquisition. Facilitated the acquisition of the platform successfully by demonstrating its value and innovation to key stakeholders.
- Adapted Noonean's NLP algorithm to build a chatbot platform, which evolved into a voice AI mobile app for the hospitality sector. Utilized React for UI, WASM for audio compression, and Google's voice-to-text for transcription.
- Actively participated in industry conferences and events, leading to Noonean being recognized as an emerging player in the NLP and AI space. This helped in building a network and attracting potential clients and partners.
- Introduced and enforced Agile development practices within the technical team, which significantly improved the efficiency of the development process and enabled the timely release of new features and products.
Director of Software Engineering
- Built and managed teams of 10-15 developers; wore many hats in this role, including architect, scrum master, project manager, coder, coach, and therapist.
- Improved developer throughput by instituting organization-wide CD/CD best practices to eliminate long-standing environment stability problems.
- Brought many high-profile projects from inception to production, including Visa Checkout, Apple Pay/Android Pay, and a white-label mobile banking solution that is published in the app stores by over 100 different banks.
- Worked closely with developers via architecture and code reviews as well as establishing engineering best practices. Technologies included Spring, Java, JPA, Kotlin, React, Android, and iOS.
Senior Staff Engineer
- Served as a technical contributor and team lead owning the responsibility for the development of the eCommerce messaging platform applications for the web.
- Made instrumental contributions to XOCL, a DSL for describing the interactions, states, functions, and transactions between eCommerce entities on “Fabric,” serving as a distributed environment for eCommerce.
- Developed a Page Objects end-to-end web testing framework to ensure the highest quality of the project's web UI front end.
Senior Staff Engineer
- Served as a critical technical contributor for new product development and maintenance of legacy products.
- Transitioned the legacy build system to a mainstream environment based on Maven 2 and Atlassian Bamboo.
- Helped transition the team toward an Agile approach by accelerating standards and protocols which proved instrumental in enhancing the overall test automation experience.
Senior Staff Engineer
- Collaborated directly with the senior director and vice president to build the development team that was responsible for creating a new suite of Java web applications.
- Developed deployment automation to help increase production deployment stability and predictability.
- Introduced the use of the Spring Framework to replace a legacy homegrown Java infrastructure.
Software Architect | Co-founder
- Spearheaded the design and development of a next-generation online banking app—enabling consumers to manage finances with advanced budgeting and reporting tools. It was acquired by a large financial institution and is still being used today.
- Facilitated the introduction of this application with an initial rollout for Amplify Credit Union.
Broadjump | Motive
- Was recruited to work at Broadjump because of my experience in online gaming and broadband.
- Made strong individual contributions, working as a key member of the engineering staff in C++ and Java.
- Gained a reputation as a very productive engineer with a low-bug rate.
Back-end System in Node.jshttps://playoneup.com/
I developed the algorithms to generate buy/sell signals and enabled real-time trades on crypto exchanges.
Spring Boot, Spring, Express.js, Next.js, .NET, Angular, React Native, Django, JPA, Redux, Tailwind CSS, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), Ruby on Rails (RoR), Truffle
React, Node.js, REST APIs, API Development, Web3.js, Vue, React Redux
IntelliJ IDEA, GitLab, GitHub, Celery, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Webpack, Pytest, RabbitMQ, Gradle, Apache Maven, LaunchDarkly, Figma
REST, Microservices, Microservices Architecture, Automated Testing, Agile, Agile Software Development, Event-driven Architecture, Requirements Analysis, Cross-platform, Mobile Development, DevOps, Serverless Architecture, Gamification
Docker, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Apache Kafka, Blockchain, Firebase, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), iOS, Mobile, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Oracle, Android
MongoDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Cloud Firestore, JSON, Database Architecture, NoSQL, Google Cloud, Database Migration, Elasticsearch, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Redis
Security, Web Design, Project Management, Cybersecurity
Software Engineering, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Leadership, Mentorship, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Web Development, Architecture, Cloud Infrastructure, Full-stack, Front-end, Styled-components, CI/CD Pipelines, APIs, Algorithms, Containerization, Distributed Systems, Back-end, Software Architecture, Solution Architecture, Integration, CSV, Data Scraping, Web Scraping, Technical Leadership, API Integration, Data Structures, Web Platforms, Online Payments, CTO, System Architecture, Messaging, Middleware, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Cross-platform App Development, SVG, Software Design, Cloud, Native Mobile Apps, Early-stage Startups, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Scalability, Scraping, Performance, Data Privacy, Crypto, Team Leadership, Troubleshooting, User Experience (UX), User Interface (UI), Web3, Front-end Development, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Chatbots, Finance, Payment APIs, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Serverless, Near-field Communication (NFC), Startups, ChatGPT, GPT, Ethers.js, Machine Learning, SaaS
Master's Degree in Computer Science
West Chester University - West Chester, PA, United States
Machine Learning for Big Data and Text Processing: Foundations
MIT | Professional Education