Verified Expert in Engineering
Mathematical Modeling Developer
Masooma has over nine years of experience applying data science to problems in domains like astronomy and theoretical physics. She has also worked with automated soft skills coaching and parenting coaching. She has built ML models using both structured and unstructured data and currently enjoys applying ML for natural language processing (NLP) and audio tasks. Masooma also has extensive experience developing software collaboratively and has delivered projects in industry and academia.
Unix, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Jupyter Notebook, Python 3
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is an active speaker recognition system which uses audio and video data to place a bounding box around the current speaker in a video.
Senior Data Scientist
- Translated product feature ideas into solvable ML problems for seven critical features in the company app.
- Researched, prototyped, and deployed models for sentiment recognition. Determined speech clarity and intelligibility, speaker recognition, jargon identification, NLP semantic similarity tasks, active speaker recognition, and content recommendation.
- Built low latency microservices using AWS infrastructure. Supported online prediction with latency under 100 ms.
- Constructed internal tools to surface model predictions for human testing and human, in-the-loop training. Customized tools for a variety of training tasks.
- Built a model to convert a blog post into a Twitter thread.
- Deployed the model on Amazon SageMaker as microservices.
- Setup the data models and relational database to manage user requests.
- Managed a junior engineer to develop the back end and front end for the app in React and Node.js.
- Developed a novel graph-based algorithm to determine the tracks and posture of people walking on tiles equipped with pressure sensors.
- Delivered a fully functional and tunable prototype for lab testing.
- Provided technical documentation for tuning and extending the model.
Brand Alignment Analyzer
Active Speaker Recognition
Topic Modeling on Forum Posts
Data Science, High-performance Computing
Jupyter Notebook, Unix, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) Algorithms, Librosa, Data Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Numerical Simulations, Machine Learning, Numerical Methods, Transformers, Data Visualization, Software Development, Data Modeling, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Data Mining, Web Scraping, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT)
PyTorch, TensorFlow, Scikit-learn, Pandas, Node.js, Natural Language Toolkit (NLTK), SpaCy, OpenCV, FFmpeg
MATLAB, Kaldi, Whisper
PhD Degree in Physics
University of New Brunswick - Fredericton, Canada
Master's Degree in Astrophysics
University of Bonn - Bonn, Germany
Bachelor's Degree in Physics
University of Delhi - New Delhi, India
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring