Verified Expert in Engineering
DevOps Engineer and Developer
Mateusz is a team-oriented DevOps engineer, cloud architect, and FinOps expert with 8+ years of experience. He is passionate about improving cloud-based systems' resilience, reliability, and efficiency. He is an AWS expert with a proven track record of delivering successful DevOps transformations for enterprise clients. With strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail, Mateusz excels in optimizing cloud infrastructure for maximum performance and cost-effectiveness.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Containers, Kubernetes, DevSecOps, Continuous Integration (CI)
The most amazing...
...project I've led is a complex, multi-million dollar cloud migration for a large enterprise client, improving scalability, security, and cost-effectiveness.
Fortune 100 North American Construction Equipment Manufacturer
- Built a strategy to migrate over 7,000 engineers from Azure DevOps to GitHub.
- Established templates, good practices, and requirements for repositories and CI/CD on GitHub, using GitHub Advanced Security features.
- Built a self-service automation to provision GitHub resources using a Terraform infrastructure as code (IaC) solution.
- Created automation to migrate workloads from Azure DevOps to GitHub utilizing PowerShell and the GitHub Enterprise Importer CLI.
- Defined the DevSecOps catalog containing all recommended tools covering security, code quality, and testing automation. Set the recommended position within the software lifecycle and implementation details.
- Built a community around the container's technology and helped to introduce new container tools, including Nomad, Helm, and Docker Desktop.
AWS DevOps Engineer
- Contributed to containerizing and migrating infrastructure to AWS ECS.
- Built a robust IaC solution utilizing AWS CloudFormation.
- Created a pipeline on AWS CodePipeline to source, test, build, and deploy a new version of applications.
- Optimized Docker images, contributed to establishing good practices, and improved containers' security.
- Configured a process to simplify onboarding and testing applications in the local environment.
Fortune 100 North American Construction Equipment Manufacturer
- Devised a strategy to accelerate DevOps adoption for an enterprise client.
- Built a community around container technology. Educated and ran workshops, enabling teams to embrace this technology.
- Collaborated with third-party vendors and internal security, engineering, and DevOps teams to bring modern tools and methodologies to the software application lifecycle.
Lead DevOps Engineer
- Architected, deployed, and managed a highly scalable EC2-based infrastructure on AWS for one of the leading theater websites in the world.
- Configured a Postfix-based email cluster sending up to 5 million emails daily while keeping outstanding deliverability results.
- Introduced continuous integration and continuous delivery to the stack.
- Introduced a variety of updates to use systems more efficiently and reduce AWS bills, such as Reserved Instances, cold storage, and Auto Scaling.
- Provided off-hours support to work with reliability issues.
Business Services Company
- Took a leadership role in introducing an AWS Service Catalog provisioning system and built AWS CloudFormation templates for numerous services. Collaborated with colleagues and the AWS team on defining correct practices.
- Performed the migration of the critical tooling from OpenShift 3.11 to 4.6.
- Introduced a new high-availability HashiCorp Vault cluster to serve as a company-wide secrets store. Built policies and collaborated with engineering teams to ensure they had the knowledge and tools to use the cluster.
- Collaborated with the engineering teams to help them with application containerization—initial deployments, knowledge sharing, debugging, performance monitoring, and best practices.
- Introduced various proof of concept to validate ideas and possibilities to improve existing tooling.
- Contributed to cost optimization—license renegotiation, right-sizing of the existing resources, new cost monitoring dashboards, and provisioning systems amendments—to ensure more efficient choices.
- Used GitLab and GitLab CI/CD pipelines on new products and improved the existing ones.
Business Services Company
- Introduced savings plans and reduced the overhead and unused fees from reserved instances.
- Contributed to the reduction of the AWS annual bill by 30%.
- Introduced good practices for efficient resource provisioning.
- Participated in right-sizing across numerous AWS services, including EC2, RDS, S3, FSx, EFS, EBS, EMR, and Glue jobs.
- Collaborated with stakeholders on many levels, including engineering and finance teams and management, ensuring clear communication and realistic expectations.
- Worked extensively with cost and usage reports to create robust, detailed reports and forecasts.
- Introduced robust cost optimization QuickSight reports following the best practices from the AWS Well-Architected Framework.
- Collaborated closely with the AWS technical account manager (TAM) and cost experts on resolving immediate or upcoming cost issues with non-default solutions to the challenges I faced.
Technical Architect | Lead DevOps Engineer
- Architected, deployed, and managed a highly scalable AWS-based infrastructure for a custom-built multi-tier ERP platform.
- Worked closely with all stakeholders to define the roadmap and bottlenecks.
- Introduced robust monitoring and alerting systems and a robust, centralized log management system.
- Reviewed resources to optimize performance and AWS bills.
- Improved the resiliency and reliability of systems by introducing auto-scaling for EC2s, read-replicas on RDS, and a variety of other changes for other tiers.
Head of Platform | Lead DevOps Engineer
- Developed and delivered measurable outcomes on a clear public-facing and internal-facing product roadmap.
- Architected and deployed improvements around continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- Introduced a variety of improvements for the local working environment.
- Identified cost savings across all environments and tiers to utilize existing infrastructure more efficiently.
- Worked continuously on improving the resilience and reliability of AWS-based systems.
- Served as the principal contact with senior management for major platform incidents that were causing widespread business disruption, both internal and external.
- Collaborated closely with the commercial team to ensure product development aligned with business priorities.
Platform Technical Lead
- Orchestrated major technical decisions and overall technical strategy to reach the business objectives faster.
- Delivered major technical milestones (e.g., implementing new frameworks).
- Managed the team and optimized and maximized productivity.
- Evangelized the platform and nurtured a great working environment.
- Architected and deployed a variety of stack improvements.
- Improved DevOps practices and culture within the company.
- Designed, built, and deployed continuous integration tools to help empower the development team.
- Improved and maintained the working environment to improve the efficiency of development teams.
- Built, released, and configured production systems.
- Introduced an automation process across the company to target the bottlenecks on the software delivery.
- Troubleshot the systems and workflow to target the most disruptive bottlenecks.
- Contributed to the systems support roster to ensure the high availability of AWS systems.
- Maintained the local, staging, and production server infrastructure on AWS.
- Improved reliability, performance, and cost-efficiency of the infrastructure to ensure the best end user experience.
- Collaborated with management, support, and development teams.
- Fulfilled my duties on the off-hours support roster for AWS systems.
- Troubleshot bottlenecks across the production and development systems.
- Built, released, and configured production, staging, and development systems.
- Served as the lead architect and technical decision-maker in developing a big-data project—BOMcheck.net.
- Defined and built a cross-region AWS-based infrastructure utilizing EC2, RDS, Elasticsearch, SQS, SNS, and other technologies.
- Improved project performance, reliability, and scalability on both code and systems levels.
- Developed numerous payment, warehouse, and shipping integrations with the most well-known providers in the UK.
- Implemented new core platform improvements and maintained and refactored the code.
- Provided both internal and external technical support.
- Collaborated closely with other programmers, designers, and account managers.
- Founded a successful eCommerce business selling organic goods.
- Created a variety of PrestaShop extensions using web technologies.
- Built a company that became one of the most recognizable online organic stores in the local market.
High-traffic AWS Infrastructurehttp://broadwayworld.com
I handled the AWS architecture, deployment, and maintenance of the world's largest theater and live entertainment website serving several million visitors a month in multiple geographies and languages.
• Migrated the whole infrastructure from scattered VMs to AWS using AWS DataSync and Migration Service.
• Improved systems resilience by introducing a reliable autoscaling setup with Application Load Balancer, all supported by AWS Lambda functions.
• Introduced continuous integration and delivery (AWS CodePipeline, AWS CodeCommit, AWS CodeBuild, AWS CodeDeploy).
• Architected and deployed Postfix-base high-volume mail cluster to improve deliverability while keeping costs in mind.
Cost Optimization on the Multi-tenant eCommerce Platform
• Implemented AWS Trusted Advisor and cost management services to understand AWS costs better and CloudWatch to get more in-depth insights into utilized AWS services.
• Reviewed existing resources.
• Implemented saving plans or reserved instances where possible.
• Implemented spot instances as a part of auto-scaling groups.
• Monitored resource usage and types and made adjustments when necessary.
• Performed an S3 replacement with colder storage for less frequently used data types.
• Reviewed bandwidth.
• Made auto-scaling adjustments for MySQL and NoSQL databases for less overallocation and following traffic patterns.
Test Automation on an eCommerce Platform
Continuous Integration and Delivery Improvements
Sumo Logic Log Management
Multi-region AWS Infrastructure
AWS Service Catalog Provisioning System
AWS ELB, Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR), Git, GitHub, Shell, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), Amazon ElastiCache, Amazon EBS, AWS CloudFormation, AWS CodeCommit, AWS CodeDeploy, Amazon CloudWatch, AWS IAM, Terraform, AWS Deployment, Provisioning Tools, Docker Hub, AWS Systems Manager, GitLab, GitLab CI/CD, Jira, Apache, SonarQube, Sumo Logic, ELK (Elastic Stack), Jenkins, Sentry, Chef, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS), Bitbucket, AWS CLI, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), AWS CodeBuild, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Amazon EKS, AWS Fargate, Amazon Athena, Vagrant, VirtualBox, Docker Compose, Postfix, Artifactory, VPN, Logging, Solr, AWS SDK, Amazon QuickSight, Helm, Traefik, AWS OpsWorks, CircleCI, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Amazon Cognito, VMware, AWS Step Functions, Kibana, Logstash, Microsoft Power BI
Continuous Delivery (CD), Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Deployment, DevOps, Agile, Web Architecture, Azure DevOps, Microservices, Microservices Architecture, DevSecOps, Design Patterns
AWS Cloud Computing Services, Amazon EC2, Linux, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS ALB, OpenShift, AWS Lambda, PagerDuty, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Red Hat OpenShift, Nexus, Azure
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Datadog, Amazon Aurora, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, MySQL, NoSQL, Amazon DynamoDB, Memcached, Redis
Cost Management, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), AWS Managed Services, CI/CD Pipelines, Architecture, Containers, AWS CodePipeline, AWS Auto Scaling, AWS DevOps, Autoscaling, Trusted Advisor, AWS Certified DevOps Engineer, Docker Desktop, FinOps, Scaling, System Architecture, Scalability, AWS Cloud Architecture, Cloud Architecture, Cloud Infrastructure, Load Balancers, Amazon Route 53, Shell Scripting, Linux Servers, ECS, AWS Service Catalog, Serverless, Containerization, Amazon API Gateway, Cloud9, Code Architecture, People Management, Amazon Inspector, Source Code Review, Task Analysis, Technical Hiring, Interviewing, Web Security, Team Management, GitHub Actions, Cloud Security, Monitoring, Cost Analysis, Cost Estimation, Cost Modeling, Control & Cost Analysis, eCommerce, Relational Database Services (RDS), Bitbucket Pipelines, PCI DSS, Prometheus, Artificial Intelligence (AI), HashiCorp Vault, Amazon Elastic Transcoder, Bots, MVP Design, AWS SAM, Amazon RDS, Amazon Macie, Microsoft Power Automate, Cloud Migration, Cloud Services
Zend Framework, Windows PowerShell, Laravel 5, Codeception
MooTools, Vue 2, React, Node.js, Jenkins Pipeline
Bachelor's Degree in Systems Engineering
University of Information Technology and Management COPERNICUS - Wroclaw, Poland
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional
HashiCorp Certified: Terraform Associate (002)
AWS Certified DevOps Engineer Professional