Matt has been a software engineer for a little over twelve years. He enjoys math, systems, and people. He has worked at early startups, more established small-medium teams, and large companies. He has worked as an individual contributor and as part of a team. He loves delving into interesting problems and building applications that people want to use. Matt has significant experience in back and front-end web development, as well as systems and application development in a broader setting.
The most amazing...
...project I've built and took to fruition in enterprise level environments are proofs of concept for Simon Data (more details in the portfolio section below).
Sole Back-end Engineer
Freelance Software Engineer via Toptal
- Implemented and extended the back end in multiple areas including building a scheduler, payment functionality, leaderboards, push and email notifications, site security, and DevOps functionality.
- Led communication and design process for all back end efforts.
- Built data ingestion pipelines for multiple data sources using AWS technologies.
- Developed safe automated deployment system and mirrored development environment.
Core Software Engineer
- Co-built the proof of concept of a real-time event processing system, and built significant pieces of the production system.
- Co-implemented ML prediction models over marketing data, training, and prediction.
- Designed and implemented infrastructure for ingesting and analyzing enterprise-scale data streams from multiple sources.
- Served as the tech lead for a stats visualization project, optimizing a visual stats analysis and its back end on Redshift.
- Built the back end for an autocomplete search overlaying keyword search.
- Assessed and optimized database usage and queries across the codebase.
- Contributed to in-house keyword search algorithms, recommendations engine, UI, and other miscellaneous projects.
Senior Software Engineer
- Served as a member of the “Scoring and Topology” group, which developed technologies to discover the topology of the internet. Promoted to Senior in 2013.
- Owned and had a significant role in the research and design of multiple components, including ping and trace systems, BGP route processing, work on our internal representation of IP space, load estimation, and more.
- Re-architected and implemented keyword search system using Lucene and Solr.
- Re-architected faceting and facet-like product browsing systems.
- Initiated and co-designed high volume clickstream analysis.
- Developed back-end admin tools, UI/front-end work, and large data query optimization. Results included ~40% CPU usage drop on database slaves.
Real-time Event Processing System
Rearchitected Search Using Lucene
BGP Route Processing
Node.js, React, Apache Lucene
Web Architecture, Functional Programming, Data Science
Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS Lambda, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Full-stack, Technical Leadership, Data Engineering, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, Algorithms, Software Development, Cloud, WebSockets, APIs, Amazon API Gateway, Machine Learning, Amazon Kinesis, Statistics, Deep Learning, BGP, Distributed Systems, Systems, State Machines, RSS Feeds
Hadoop, Django, Flask, ASP
Jupyter, Apache, Amazon Cognito, GDB, AWS Step Functions, Solr
MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redshift, Amazon DynamoDB, Netezza, Relational Databases, PostgreSQL, Google Cloud, RocksDB, MongoDB, Cassandra
Master of Arts Degree in Computer Science
Brandeis University - Waltham, MA
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Mathematics
Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA