Sole Back-end Engineer2019 - 2020Freelance Software Engineer via Toptal
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), SQL, Flask, AWS, Python
- Implemented and extended the back end in multiple areas including building a scheduler, payment functionality, leaderboards, push and email notifications, site security, and DevOps functionality.
- Led communication and design process for all back end efforts.
- Built data ingestion pipelines for multiple data sources using AWS technologies.
- Developed safe automated deployment system and mirrored development environment.
Core Software Engineer2017 - 2018Simon Data
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Elasticsearch, Hadoop, Python, Relational Databases, Amazon DynamoDB, State Machines, AWS Lambda, Redshift, AWS
- Co-built the proof of concept of a real-time event processing system, and built significant pieces of the production system.
- Co-implemented ML prediction models over marketing data, training, and prediction.
- Designed and implemented infrastructure for ingesting and analyzing enterprise-scale data streams from multiple sources.
- Served as the tech lead for a stats visualization project, optimizing a visual stats analysis and its back end on Redshift.
Software Engineer2015 - 2017Bandcamp
- Built the back end for an autocomplete search overlaying keyword search.
- Assessed and optimized database usage and queries across the codebase.
- Contributed to in-house keyword search algorithms, recommendations engine, UI, and other miscellaneous projects.
Senior Software Engineer2011 - 2015Akamai Technologies
Technologies: Objective-C, Systems, Distributed Systems, BGP, SQL, C++
- Served as a member of the “Scoring and Topology” group, which developed technologies to discover the topology of the internet. Promoted to Senior in 2013.
- Owned and had a significant role in the research and design of multiple components, including ping and trace systems, BGP route processing, work on our internal representation of IP space, load estimation, and more.
Software Developer2009 - 2011Wayfair
Technologies: Netezza, Hadoop, SQL, PHP, ASP, Solr, Apache Lucene
- Re-architected and implemented keyword search system using Lucene and Solr.
- Re-architected faceting and facet-like product browsing systems.
- Initiated and co-designed high volume clickstream analysis.
- Developed back-end admin tools, UI/front-end work, and large data query optimization. Results included ~40% CPU usage drop on database slaves.