Verified Expert in Engineering
Matt has been a professional for over 25 years, focusing on data modeling and SQL coding supporting enterprise data warehouse development and analytics. His roles have included developer, consultant, trainer, support tech, and manager/leader. Currently, he is freelancing to broaden his horizons and gain exposure to diverse experiences. Matt is seeking data-focused projects which support application development, analytics, and data pipelines.
Tableau, Netezza, Teradata, Alteryx, SQL Server 2016
The most amazing...
...data model and ETL process I've built is one to support mid-tier retailer merchandising, leading to better product mixes and higher margins.
Manager, Business Intelligence
Wellstar Health System
- Led a team of nine BI analysts that deployed over 60 analytic solutions, primarily using Alteryx, SQL, and Tableau, for an audience of over 3,000 users.
- Managed all phases of analytics projects, including requirements gathering and visualization design with stakeholders, data engineering, visualization development, rollout and training to end users, and post-deployment support.
- Trained and guided the team in upskilling in SQL and data visualization best practices and adopting Agile-based project management and solution delivery.
- Started a Tableau center of excellence to support the hub and spoke model of analytics across the enterprise.
- Partnered with the clinical data warehouse team to enhance the enterprise data warehouse.
- Tracked and fixed bugs using ServiceNow as a reporting tool.
Senior Manager, Professional Services
- Served as project manager and the main point of contact with clients during large implementation projects involving multiple resources, being accountable for delivering projects on time and within budget.
- Designed and optimized data model and ETL processes for a retail-focused data warehouse implemented on platforms, including Netezza, Teradata, SQL Server, and Redshift, and used them as a foundation for the MicroStrategy reporting environment.
- Managed all post-implementation client support using Jira as a reporting system, ensuring the timely resolution of operational issues and product defects.
- Designed and developed the MicroStrategy schema for new modules and the expansion of existing modules, including the warehouse catalog, aggregate-aware logical tables, facts, and attributes.
- Managed all senior implementation consultants directly and was liable for their performance and career growth, as well as the hiring and onboarding of new consultants.
- Engineered large datasets using SQL to pull data from Teradata EDW for use by the predictive modeling team to predict propensity to buy, likelihood to churn, customer segmentation, and lifetime customer value.
- Built the marketing data mart using SQL to build attributes. Engineered features sourced from Teradata enterprise data warehouse (EDW).
- Automated direct marketing campaigns across multiple channels and for various products using IBM Unica software combined with SQL.
- Provided ad-hoc query support for the consumer marketing department to provide timely insights from Teradata EDW.
Consultant and Trainer
- Provided consulting services to clients and end users, building data models and creating reports using IQ Software, one of the earliest reporting software products on the market.
- Conducted onsite and in-house training sessions for end users on how to utilize IQ Software for reporting solutions.
- Provided technical support for clients when we encountered issues with the software.
American Business Products
- Wrote SQL scripts to convert nightly data processing jobs from mainframe COBOL to Sybase SQL Server.
- Developed SQL scripts to ingest and convert data for newly acquired printing companies.
- Provided support for nightly batch data processing jobs.
Data Model for Retail BI
COVID-19 Data Analysis
SQL, Python 3, R
Databases, SQL Server 2016, Netezza, Teradata
ETL, Data Science
MicroStrategy, Data Engineering, Data Analysis, IBM Unica, Machine Learning
Bachelor's Degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology - Atlanta, Georgia
Data Science Micromaster
Georgia Institute of Technology
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring