Verified Expert in Engineering
Software Engineer and Developer
Matthew is a die-hard Ruby on Rails full-stack developer who loves new and existing projects alike. Clean and readable code is his mission, and code coverage is his baseline. Matthew is passionate about programming, and he is eager to combine forces to build something beautiful!
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), iTerm2, GitHub, Jira, Slack, Heroku, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
The most amazing...
...experience I've had is with an existing organization. I was part of the engineering team that brought a mid-sized Series C company to a successful acquisition.
Senior Software Engineer
- Educated colleagues on Rails' best practices and mentored interns toward proficiency with new languages and frameworks, namely Ruby, Rails, React, and Redux.
- Designed low-level business-specific tooling to safely navigate from under technical debt and away from antipatterns entrenched in over a decade of code contributions.
- Collaborated with newer product partners to establish processes and scope new features.
Head of Engineerinrg
- Defined guiding principles for the engineering organization, emphasizing a product-first approach.
- Re-architected the outdated Ruby on Rails web application focused on simplifying data models, introducing full test coverage, and maximizing flexibility.
- Spearheaded recruitment of software engineers and product leadership.
- Introduced application monitoring, analytics tracking, and continuous deployment to the web app.
- Integrated CoBuy's core business services with the Salesforce CRM platform.
- Contributed as a full-stack engineer and member of three Agile product teams over 15 months, each comprising 2-4 engineers and operating within 1-2 week sprint cycles.
- Identified opportunities to refactor and improve in-house frameworks widely recognized as illegible or defunct and worked with engineering leads to prioritize the highest value of these initiatives.
- Led the sole consumer-facing full-stack engineering team of five engineers.
- Expanded engineering recruitment efforts to hire over 10 new engineers, requiring coordination with internal recruitment alongside engineering peers and leadership.
- Collaborated with engineering leaders weekly to ensure technical cohesion of architectural decisions between consumer-facing products and back-of-house requirements.
- Worked closely with product managers and designers to identify potential products, estimate technical effort, and schedule a backlog of engineering work to validate and build new features.
- Utilized behavior-driven development techniques to confidently integrate new features with the existing application before each incremental release.
- Addressed customer support requests for information and back-end maintenance via the Rails console using the ZenDesk platform.
- Completed multi-week sprints organized in the Jira Agile tracker by Atlassian.
- Assembled custom UIImagePickerController prototype in Xcode using Objective-C for asynchronous photography within the Imfuna mobile inspection application.
The Abalone project is a data tracking and analytics system that stores and measures data for population trends, mortality rates, and breeding programs.
Ruby Gem: Service Objects for Railshttps://github.com/mattwd7/service_objects_rails
Casa (Court Appointed Special Advocate)https://github.com/mattwd7/casa/tree/main
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Redux, Capybara, Bootstrap, Stimulus, Knockout (Knockout.js)
GitHub, Jira, Slack, RSpec, Facebook Pixel, Podio, CircleCI, Xcode, Fastly, Bugsnag, Google Analytics, Salesforce Sales Cloud, Webpack
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Heroku, Zendesk
JSON, PostgreSQL, MySQL
APIs, Back-end, Integration, Architecture, Leadership, iTerm2, Authentication, Authorization, Amplitude, Full-stack, Front-end, API Integration, Webhooks, Datasets, N8n, Citrix Podio, Critical Thinking, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Ruby Gems, Facebook Ads, Google Ads
React, jQuery, Stripe API, Segment.io
Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering
University of California in Los Angeles - Los Angeles, CA, USA