Founder, Software Engineer2014 - PRESENTVirtual Light Software Inc.
Technologies: Direct3D, Oculus Rift, C++
- Developed a virtual reality data visualization and GIS project for the Oculus Rift.
- Contracted for Oculus Rift development with IMVU.
- Worked for EA on Star Wars: Battlefront development.
- Helped start SG14, a game development and low latency study group, as part of the C++ Standards Committee.
- Built reusable framework for Oculus Rift development with Direct3D 11.
Senior Manager of Engineering2011 - 2014EA
Technologies: Xbox One, Windows Phone, PS4, C++
- Ported existing core technologies to new platforms (Xbox One, Windows Phone, PS4, Wii U) and developed new cross platform shared technology for use throughout the company.
- Worked with teams across EA to gather technical requirements for fine grained concurrency and led teams in designing and implementing new features to meet those requirements.
- Represented EA on the OpenCL and OpenCL HLM committees and helped drive efforts to apply GPU compute to solve problems for our customers.
- Worked in technical recruitment to set standards, create common programmer tests, and interview candidates.
- Led the platform development for Xbox One during preparations for Xbox One launch.
- Managed a team and wrote code myself as an engineering manager.
Senior Programmer2009 - 2011Smoking Gun Interactive
Technologies: Microsoft Kinect, Unreal Engine 3, Xbox 360, C++
- Built an Unreal Engine 3 title on Xbox 360, 20,000 Leaks, as part of the "Kinect Adventures!" mini game collection that shipped as a pack for the launch of Kinect for Xbox 360.
- Worked as a graphics programmer on a variety of unannounced internal projects and demos for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.
- Recommended, set up, and maintained the continuous integration server using TeamCity.
- Developed computer vision algorithms for Kinect Me, an app for auto-generating a player Avatar using data captured by the Kinect camera.
- Participated in hiring processes by interviewing and evaluating programming candidates.
Senior Programmer2006 - 2009Relic Entertainment (a THQ studio)
Technologies: Direct3D 10, HLSL, Xbox 360, Direct3D 9, Win32, C++
- Worked as the rendering lead on Dawn of War II (85 Metacritic).
- Collaborated with Dawn of War II artists on tool, pipeline, and artist workflow improvements.
- Developed and optimized an HLSL shader for the Dawn of War II terrain system, HDR lighting, unit painting, and other rendering features.
- Added engine optimizations and feature additions to the Company of Heroes codebase for Dawn of War II.
- Assisted with optimization and bug fixing on Company of Heroes (93 Metacritic), as well as preparations for the D3D10 port of the graphics engine.
Software Engineer2003 - 2006EA
Technologies: Playstation 2, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, Direct3D 9, C++
- Became part of the RenderWare development team when EA purchased Criterion.
- Optimized RenderWare animation and math libraries for PS3 and Xbox 360 using VMX intrinsics and SPUs.
- Wrote a substantial document on optimizing C++ code for the PS3 and Xbox 360 which was widely distributed within EA.
- Played a key role in delivering the first version of RenderWare to support the final Xbox 360 hardware.
- Designed and implemented the runtime and pipeline back-end for the shader system used in two of EA’s Xbox 360 launch titles: FIFA 2006 and NBA Live 2006.
- Developed and supported EA's internal graphics library prior to the purchase of RenderWare.
- Fixed several challenging rendering bugs for FIFA 2005 and NHL 2005 on PC and was credited on FIFA 2005 PC in recognition of support efforts.
Senior Programmer2002 - 2003Nicely Crafted Entertainment
Technologies: Direct3D 9, C++
- Worked as a senior 3D programmer on Time of Defiance (73 Metacritic), a massively multiplayer online strategy game for PC.
- Wrote the majority of the DX8.1 3D engine and developed a new DX9 3D engine for use in the Time of Defiance boxed release and future products.
- Optimized the server physics code and implemented hierarchical object support on the client and server.
- Developed a new custom OOP GUI framework rendered using D3D for implementing game UI.
- Implemented a 3D sound support using DirectSound.
Programmer2000 - 2001Rebellion Developments
Technologies: Playstation, Direct3D 8, Xbox, C++
- Built the control system, weapons, and weapon effects for "Delta Force: Urban Warfare" (70 Metacritic) for PS1.
- Created the UI, controls, graphic effects, and game logic for the prototype of an unreleased Xbox action game.
- Used Direct3D 8 GUI framework for the prototype of an unreleased PC strategy title.
- Created particle effects, gameplay scripting, and bug fixing for a PC action and strategy title called Gunlok.
- Worked on special effects, AI, and game logic for the prototype of an unreleased PC strategy title.