- PresidentElevencraft, Inc.2009 - PRESENT
- Used SaltStack to deploy groups of staging and production hosts.
- Set up a complete Windows/Linux/OS X compatible Django project development stack, using Packer to create base machine images for Vagrant and EC2, and using SSH and the PyCharm IDE to connect to a common environment.
- Designed, implemented, and deployed a cross-platform job execution and storage system plus two reference front-ends using an API for dynamically generating UI elements.
- Designed and implemented several user interface changes to a large body of existing front-end code using HTML5, SASS, and Backbone.js.
- Designed and created a transcription crowdsourcing system allowing volunteers to collaboratively turn podcast audio into text.
- Designed and created a vertical-market social network system using Django to integrate custom and third-party apps, providing a common set of tools to groups of volunteers operating in separate geographical regions.
- Django Full-stack DeveloperFunding Gates (via Toptal)2014 - 2015
Technologies: Django, Rails, Ember, React, HTML5, CSS3, AWS, PostgreSQL
- Performed data science tasks, bug fixes, feature additions, 2nd-tier technical support for flagship Ruby/Rails/Ember app.
- Assisted with DevOps tasks such as system monitoring, Ruby/Rails/Ember app deployment, finding and resolving root causes of errors and performance issues.
- Designed and created an internal sales, customer service, and analytics/data science tools using Django and RethinkDB on the back-end, and ReactJS on the front-end.
- Maintained and improved all aspects of Django and WordPress based marketing websites, including third-party service integrations, conversion of PSDs to HTML5+CSS+JS with animations, and integration with flagship Ruby/Rails/Ember app.
- Used open source libraries to implement scroll-triggered animations in marketing website pages.
- Django Back-end DeveloperToptal Client2014 - 2014
Technologies: Django, Redis, Python-RQ, Django-RQ, Django-FSM
- Compared Python-RQ with Celery, based on client needs and their current architecture.
- Designed and developed a mechanism using Python-RQ for long-running file conversion/export processes involving email notification, page refresh, download tracking, expired media purging, and recreation of expired media.
- Used a finite state machine architecture to control the export process.
- Used TDD (test-driven development) techniques to drive architecture design and implementation.
- Refactored existing export code embedded in a Django view to facilitate both short-term queueing architecture needs and long-term desire by client to support additional export formats.
- Completed all work in target 2-week time frame on a part time schedule.
- Core Developer, ConsultantOrbtech, LLC2004 - 2008
Technologies: Python, PyQt
- Developed software for non-networked workstations to analyze test results from automated electrical testing equipment, correlate it with information about items being tested, record failure and reasons for failed tests, and finally export data for further analysis.
- Created a reliable, pure-Python, ACID-compliant database engine designed for developer productivity and highly reliable complex schema migrations running on non-networked systems.
- Created data-bound widget kits for PyQt and PyGTK allowing UI layouts to react to changes in database schema.
- Helped to create four different system prototypes in six months.
- Created a new version of the Python database engine to improve performance, reduce memory usage, and accommodate more complex schemata needed by a new app.
- Founder/Lead Software DeveloperOMAjA Information Systems/Nexlink, Inc.2001 - 2004
Technologies: PHP, Python
- Worked with a business partner to provide Linux support, software and networking consultation, web and email hosting, and software development.
- Designed and managed software projects including to manage internal and customer-facing aspects for a reverse logistics company, and a web-based internal database to manage contacts and policies for a small insurance brokerage.
- Developed software to manage aspects of a terrestrial wireless ISP, including customer and subscription management, routing, DNS resolution, and bandwidth limiting.
- Used User Mode Linux to segregate ISP services into virtual machines for deployment into a single physical machine. (User Mode Linux is an early Linux virtualization technique also used by Linode in their early days.).
- Began work on the predecessor for an open source, pure-Python database engine that I would later help refine to create further commercial products.