PHP Developer in Vancouver, BC, Canada
Owner2008 - PRESENTCodefocus Web Development
- Developed successful Facebook apps for seasonal, product, and movie promotions.
- Used microdata ("structured data") as well as website speed and code improvements to increase organic traffic for online retailers.
- Managed clients' online advertising campaigns through AdWords, Bing, and Facebook ads.
- Built a domain name management tool that allows me to register, park, edit, or point any of my domains to predetermined hosting platforms.
- Developed sentiment analysis software that categorizes sentences in "positive" or "negative". This same code is used to detect foul language, without the use of a known word-list.
- Architected a high traffic REST API for a mobile investment application, and used Agile to lead its development.
- Architected and led development of an SSO (single sign-on) system, serving over 50,000 realtors and employees of a client in the real estate sector.
- Developed an inventory management application in Laravel, providing forecasts that automate wholesale purchases and reduce warehousing costs.
- Developed an MS SQL-backed Laravel application for a group of nursing homes, allowing staff to manage patients and care plans.
Senior Web Developer2008 - 2009Reinvent, Inc.
- Supported a growing domain portfolio of over 300,000 names on existing hardware by optimizing database queries and indices.
- Built a real-time recommendation engine in PHP that would recommend new movies based on how users rated other movies.
- Rapidly prototyped several web applications in an Agile development setting.
- Developed jQuery components interfacing with back-end functionality, such as an image cropping tool, a multi-person address bar with auto-complete, and dynamic graphs.
- Designed data models for several high-traffic websites.
Owner2001 - 2008PAW Projects
- Developed a flexible survey platform from scratch, with detailed reporting options.
- Optimized clients' websites for better search engine positioning.
- Built a niche contextual advertising platform.
- Worked together with local and remote designers to deliver beautiful company websites to clients in the Netherlands.
- Developed an English language skill assessment tool.
Software Developer2001 - 2003Mavim
Technologies: Visual Basic, C, Perl, PHP, MySQL
- Worked as part of the core team on all parts of the workflow application, Mavim.
- Reverse engineered a proprietary binary file format, to extract images, documents, and meta information.
- Designed various database models for internal websites and the desktop application.
- Developed a WYSIWYG website builder that generated a flat file website from the workflow components in the database.
- Built a pop-up image editor with full undo/redo functionality.
Software Developer1999 - 2001Unisys
Technologies: Visual Basic, C++, Oracle
- Developed custom call center software on-site at telecom companies throughout Europe, such as KPN, Belgacom, Mobistar, Blu Telecom, and Swisscom.
- Created touchpad, caller ID, and other components reusable on other projects.
- Worked with Genesys and Lucent phone APIs.
- Interfaced with BSCS billing systems.
- Created a thin client for call center agents, based on ActiveX components.
- Best Buy "Pass the present" Facebook App (Development)
In 2011, Best Buy's big Christmas prize giveaway had Facebook users unwrap virtual presents and pass them along to a friend. The lucky winners are those who remove the last layer of wrapping paper from a present.
This Facebook app took Silver in the Community Engagement/Retail category of the CMA awards.
- Taseko Mines corporate website (Development)http://www.tasekomines.com/
The new corporate website for Taseko Mines (a Canadian mining corporation employing more than 450 people) shows off Taseko's four mining properties and provides investors with up-to-date information.
Key for this project was to implement beautiful HTM-based animations, pixel-perfection on mobile devices while still supporting Internet Explorer 6.
- Where do New Zealanders Eat Pray Love? (Development)
Visitors can show where they eat, pray, and love by dragging one of each pin onto the map. These locations are saved for future visitors to discover.
- Donotlink.com (Development)
This is a service that allows people to link to questionable sites without giving these sites the search engine boost that their link would otherwise give.
Search engine bots are passively and actively blocked from discovering the real target URL. When linking to dubious sites, using donotlink.com ensures that the target site does not get any search engine benefit.
FrameworksLaravel 5, Laravel, Electron.js, Bootstrap, Zend Framework, Yii
Libraries/APIsAPI Development, jQuery, OpenCV, Node.js, Google Maps, Facebook Open Graph API, Twitter API, Twilio API, Vue.js, TensorFlow, Apiary API, Stripe
ToolsGit, Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, Coda 2, Gulp.js, GitHub, Atom, Composer, Nginx, Apache, Subversion (SVN), Adobe Photoshop
ParadigmsREST, Back-end Architecture, Database Design, Clean Code, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Agile Software Development, Responsive Web Design (RWD), Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
StorageDatabase Performance, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Memcached
OtherQuery Optimization, Architecture, Database Optimization, Data Architecture, Data Modeling, Site Speed Optimization, API Design, Ajax, DNS, Data Analysis, DNS Servers, Machine Learning, Bayesian Statistics, SOAP
PlatformsGoogle App Engine, Linux, iOS, Visual Studio Code