Mevlut Erdem Kurul
Machine Learning Developer
Erdem is a senior software manager/engineer with a demonstrated history of working in research, IT, and fintech industry and holds a master's degree in computer science from the University of California, San Diego, USA. He's skilled in Java, the .NET Framework, C#, and Python with extensive international software design experience (Microsoft, SDSC, and more). Erdem also loves challenging projects as he's currently working on AI-related apps.
ExperienceMachine Learning - 10 yearsPython - 10 yearsAgile - 10 yearsC# - 10 yearsREST APIs - 5 yearsAzure - 3 yearsNode.js - 2 yearsAmazon S3 (AWS S3) - 2 years
Git, Python, .NET, Windows, Visual Studio
The most amazing...
...thing I’ve done was to manage the software development of the digitization of Turkey's biggest bank involving a few hundred thousand transactions per day.
Kurulum Cognitive Services
- Founded Kurulum Cognitive Services, a company that provides services that involve automatic ID card classification and face detection.
Senior Software Architect/Manager
Intertech AS (Istanbul, Turkey)
- Spearheaded the "AI Applications and R&D Projects" team in 2018.
- Hired and formed a team of 14 members for the new department.
- Designed and developed a general OCR framework for the bank's usage (all 18,000 of them).
- Worked on text analytics involving the automatic classification and entity extraction from documents.
- Implemented form and custom image processing and object detection using convolutional neural networks.
- Helped define the DevOps process for AI projects, Azure Cognitive Services.
- Deployed a Kafka application for CRM Campaign team that computes credit scores of customers (100k to a few million) and sends it to another Kafka topic for further reporting and analytics.
- Managed and architected the"BPM and WFM" team, in 2012-2018 and formed a new team of for developers for the workforce management suite. Architected and developed app from scratch. Designed and implemented a new customer order process.
- Designed and implemented the Inter-WFM suite and the digital transformation of a banking operation center and branch back office (4,000 users); Inter-WFM received the “Internal Process Innovation” international award from BAI, USA.
- Headed the "Retail Credits Processes" team and temporarily managed, designed, and implemented a new credit process for a consumer/vehicle/house loan.
- Led the "E-Government App" Team from 2015-2016 for E-Receipt, E-Ledger, E-Archive, E-Takbis apps.
University Instructor, Spring Semester
Sehir University (Istanbul,Turkey)
- Lectured and ran the class ENGR 211 (Introduction to Programming with Python) that involved a class of 54 students.
Software Manager | Team Lead
Ziraat Technology (Istanbul, Turkey)
- Managed the software infrastructure team involving eight members.
- Designed and implemented a workflow engine (FlowArt).
- Created and developed the operation center's dashboard.
- Integrated a document management system.
- Designed and implemented a customer queue management system.
- Built an enterprise search system.
Software Development Engineer
Microsoft Corporation (Redmond, USA)
- Worked in the Business Online Services group; the OCS Division Microsoft Office Communicator (later called Lync).
- Designed and implemented the back-end features of the Office Communicator SharedView, Load Balancing, Session Management, Health Check of Services, and so on.
Researcher | Programmer II
SDSC Data & Knowledge Systems (UC San Diego, USA)
- Worked on Graph/XML indexing/processing, graph algebra, data mediation/sharing, workflows, and volume database which was used to assist research at UCSD and other institutions (BIRN at UCSD, SenseLab at Yale University, University of Zurich, and CNB Madrid).
- Wrote a research paper; Li Chen, A. Gupta M. Erdem Kurul: A Semantic-aware RDF Query Algebra. COMAD 2005b).
- Authored another research paper with others; Li Chen, Amarnath Gupta M. Erdem Kurul: Stack-based Algorithms for Pattern Matching on DAGs. VLDB 2005: 493-504.
- Published another research paper; Li Chen, Amarnath Gupta, M. Erdem Kurul: Efficient Algorithms for Pattern Matching on Directed Acyclic Graphs. ICDE 2005.
- Wrote a research paper; M. Chagoyen, M. Erdem Kurul, Pedro A. de Alarcon, José María Carazo, Amarnath Gupta: Designing and executing scientific workflows with a programmable integrator. Bioinformatics 20(13): 2092-2100 (2004).
University of California, San Diego
- Worked as a full-time research assistant.
- Researched the automatic contextualization of a local semantic net: natural language processing, topic maps using information retrieval, logic, natural language processing, and database concepts to retrieve useful information from unstructured PUBMED medical data.
- Worked as a teaching assistant on the topics of internet programming, computer architecture, and computer graphics.
I achieved a fulfillment of 25% more tasks with a 20% smaller workforce (six months after production) and an SLA improvement of 50% to 85-90%. I also improved the internal fraud scenarios since workers can work mostly on system assigned tasks. Later on, this included part-time remote workers for some operations for managing peak-time effectively. Inter-WFM received the “Internal Process Innovation” international award from BAI, USA.
Microsoft SharedView (Redmond, US)
Inter-Rota+ (BPM Suite)
Customer Queue System
.NET, Django, ASP.NET MVC, MVC Razor, Apache Spark, Serverless Framework
REST APIs, Apache Lucene, Node.js, Windows Forms (WinForms), MPI, Spark ML
Git, TFS, Xcode, Visual Studio .NET, Amazon SageMaker, Jupyter, Visual Studio, Mongoose
Agile, Unit Testing, REST, Concurrent Programming, DevOps
Visual Studio 2017, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Eclipse, Azure, Windows, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Apache Kafka, Jupyter Notebook, Oracle, Visual Studio 2016, Unix, AWS Lambda
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MongoDB, SQL Server Management Studio, Amazon DynamoDB, JSON, Oracle RDBMS, Graph Databases, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Neo4j
Data Engineering, Version Control, AWS Certified Solution Architect, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Master's Degree in Computer Science
University of California, San Diego - San Diego, CA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering and Information Science
Bilkent University - Ankara, Turkey
AWS Certified Machine Learning Specialty
AWS Certified Solutions Architect — Associate