Founder2020 - PRESENTKurulum Cognitive Services
Technologies: Machine Learning
- Founded Kurulum Cognitive Services, a company that provides services that involve automatic ID card classification and face detection.
Senior Software Architect/Manager2012 - 2020Intertech AS (Istanbul, Turkey)
- Spearheaded the "AI Applications and R&D Projects" team in 2018.
- Hired and formed a team of 14 members for the new department.
- Designed and developed a general OCR framework for the bank's usage (all 18,000 of them).
- Worked on text analytics involving the automatic classification and entity extraction from documents.
- Implemented form and custom image processing and object detection using convolutional neural networks.
- Helped define the DevOps process for AI projects, Azure Cognitive Services.
- Deployed a Kafka application for CRM Campaign team that computes credit scores of customers (100k to a few million) and sends it to another Kafka topic for further reporting and analytics.
- Managed and architected the"BPM and WFM" team, in 2012-2018 and formed a new team of for developers for the workforce management suite. Architected and developed app from scratch. Designed and implemented a new customer order process.
- Designed and implemented the Inter-WFM suite and the digital transformation of a banking operation center and branch back office (4,000 users); Inter-WFM received the “Internal Process Innovation” international award from BAI, USA.
- Headed the "Retail Credits Processes" team and temporarily managed, designed, and implemented a new credit process for a consumer/vehicle/house loan.
- Led the "E-Government App" Team from 2015-2016 for E-Receipt, E-Ledger, E-Archive, E-Takbis apps.
University Instructor, Spring Semester2015 - 2015Sehir University (Istanbul,Turkey)
- Lectured and ran the class ENGR 211 (Introduction to Programming with Python) that involved a class of 54 students.
Software Manager | Team Lead2009 - 2012Ziraat Technology (Istanbul, Turkey)
Technologies: WinForms, Apache Lucene, Oracle, .NET
- Managed the software infrastructure team involving eight members.
- Designed and implemented a workflow engine (FlowArt).
- Created and developed the operation center's dashboard.
- Integrated a document management system.
- Designed and implemented a customer queue management system.
- Built an enterprise search system.
Software Development Engineer2006 - 2008Microsoft Corporation (Redmond, USA)
Technologies: Microsoft SQL Server, C++, .NET, Java
- Worked in the Business Online Services group; the OCS Division Microsoft Office Communicator (later called Lync).
- Designed and implemented the back-end features of the Office Communicator SharedView, Load Balancing, Session Management, Health Check of Services, and so on.
Researcher | Programmer II2002 - 2006SDSC Data & Knowledge Systems (UC San Diego, USA)
Technologies: XPath, XML, Perl, Oracle, Java
- Worked on Graph/XML indexing/processing, graph algebra, data mediation/sharing, workflows, and volume database which was used to assist research at UCSD and other institutions (BIRN at UCSD, SenseLab at Yale University, University of Zurich, and CNB Madrid).
- Wrote a research paper; Li Chen, A. Gupta M. Erdem Kurul: A Semantic-aware RDF Query Algebra. COMAD 2005b).
- Authored another research paper with others; Li Chen, Amarnath Gupta M. Erdem Kurul: Stack-based Algorithms for Pattern Matching on DAGs. VLDB 2005: 493-504.
- Published another research paper; Li Chen, Amarnath Gupta, M. Erdem Kurul: Efficient Algorithms for Pattern Matching on Directed Acyclic Graphs. ICDE 2005.
- Wrote a research paper; M. Chagoyen, M. Erdem Kurul, Pedro A. de Alarcon, José María Carazo, Amarnath Gupta: Designing and executing scientific workflows with a programmable integrator. Bioinformatics 20(13): 2092-2100 (2004).
Teaching/Research Assistant2000 - 2002University of California, San Diego
- Worked as a full-time research assistant.
- Researched the automatic contextualization of a local semantic net: natural language processing, topic maps using information retrieval, logic, natural language processing, and database concepts to retrieve useful information from unstructured PUBMED medical data.
- Worked as a teaching assistant on the topics of internet programming, computer architecture, and computer graphics.