Senior Software Engineer2021 - 2022CB Insights
Technologies: Python, Go, Docker, AWS, APIs, REST, Agile, TypeScript, Node.js, Elasticsearch, React
- Designed an advanced survey system to generate leads between companies and potential investors.
- Optimized a spreadsheet tool to make column and row management more user-friendly.
- Build a back-end endpoint to generate data for market profiles, resulting in an increased SEO presence for the company.
Ruby on Rails and React Developer2020 - 2021Brooklyn Wine Exchange
Technologies: React, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Heroku, PostgreSQL, Sidekiq, RSpec, Webpack, HTML, APIs, Scraping, REST, CSS, Ruby
- Worked on a major refactoring of the shopping cart, checkout, and payment code. This refactor improved the checkout experience and reduced many major bugs related to inventory errors, order totals, and credit card verification.
- Redesigned the product search UI, giving the user cascading search filters and sorting abilities.
- Worked on monthly subscriptions, including everything from the UI to managing subscription statuses on the back end.
- Created various new UIs for both the mobile and desktop experience.
- Built a gift card feature, which includes a page to purchase a gift card, the back-end logic to integrate with the financial software that powers the gift cards, and the code to redeem gift cards at checkout.
Database Engineer2019 - 2019UCSD | University of California San Diego
Technologies: PostgreSQL, Python, Elasticsearch, Docker, REST
- Designed and configured an Elasticsearch cluster. Decided how to analyze and index data to maximize search performance and usability. The performance was key due to the quantity of data.
- Deployed the Elasticsearch cluster with Docker and docker-compose using best security practices.
- Ensured that the cluster nodes were distributed on multiple university servers for redundancy and performance.
- Validated data and streamlined the ingestion of data using Python and PostgreSQL.
- Configured an interactive Python interface for university faculty to search and export scientific data using Docker and Python.
- Designed a Python-based data ingestion pipeline to import and index data from many different medical studies.
Software Engineer2018 - 2019Yoshi
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS, PostgreSQL, Angular, Ionic, TypeScript, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, Python, RSpec, HTML, Sidekiq, APIs, Scraping, REST, CSS, Agile, React, Web Scraping
- Wrote a scraper in Python, which collects gas station prices from across the US daily. Configured this scraper to use AWS Dynamo for data storage and to run as needed on AWS Lambda.
- Integrated a mobile app with the Toyota API to access users' vehicles remotely.
- Used the Google Maps API extensively and WebSockets to track and display vehicle locations in real time. This involved the use of custom Google Maps layovers and pop-ups.
- Worked on a large Ruby on Rails API server for our mobile app.
- Integrated with remote command vehicle APIs (Toyota, OnStar, and so on) using Ruby on Rails to give Yoshi remote access to users' vehicles.
- Wrote extensive unit and integration tests in RSpec; pushed this company to rely heavily on automated testing and increased testing coverage dramatically.
- Improved our Twilio integration to automatically purchase and enable new Twilio phone numbers, by area code, based on calculations of message delivery latency.
Software Developer2017 - 2018Element Group
- Built a token-sale platform (platform as a service) for companies to sell tokens based on smart contracts on the Ethereum network. This platform included a checkout flow for investors to purchase tokens with Bitcoin, Ether, or fiat currency.
- Developed the admin side of the token sale platform for companies to see the investment activity, manage email communications with investors, view analytics, set pricing rules for investor groups, distribute tokens, and more.
- Constructed an onboarding application for customers applying to use Element Group's brokerage services. This app verifies applicants' identities, collects required documents, and integrates with DocuSign for a pleasant user experience.
- Wrote smart contracts in the Solidity programming language, establishing specifications for the Ethereum-based tokens used in our token sales.
- Developed automated tests for these smart contracts using the Truffle framework.
- Worked within an agile team with continuous integration and high automated testing coverage.
Freelance Software Developer2017 - 2017BookClicker
Technologies: Stripe API, Amazon Web Services (AWS), NGINX, Redis, Webpack, React, ECMAScript (ES6), MySQL, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, HTML, Sidekiq, APIs, REST, CSS
- Created an online marketplace for Amazon authors to buy and sell email promotions. Two weeks after its launch the platform had already seen over $10,000 in gross volume of payments.
- Developed, configured, and deployed a Rails 5 application.
- Integrated various external APIs such as Stripe, Mailchimp, AWeber, and Amazon's Product Advertising API. This API work included OAuth and OAuth 2 specifications.
- Handled all of the DevOps work; configured a Passenger and Nginx server on an AWS Linux Ubuntu box. Redis and Sidekiq were used to manage background jobs. Assets were served through Amazon's CDN CloudFront, and site performance was considered heavily.
- Securely stored and encrypted sensitive user data. Followed best practices for web and data security.
Software Developer2014 - 2017BuildZoom
- Developed with Ruby on Rails and followed best practices to write readable, maintainable code.
- Managed MySQL and PostgreSQL databases—building out a data ingestion framework, data modeling, and developing a query optimization to increase the performance of our web application.
- Constructed APIs for our single-page applications and APIs to power our data partnerships.
- Built user interfaces that allowed BuildZoom contractors to manage their current projects, communicate with clients, visualize project histories, and manage photo galleries (with AngularJS and jQuery).
- Developed a matching algorithm involving data normalization, stemming, Levenshtein distances, and stop word filtering, which has been at the heart of nearly all of our data partnerships with third parties.
- Wrote performant data-processing scripts in Ruby and Python.
- Configured and debugged Elasticsearch (a full-text search engine) indices to improve user search on the site.
- Implemented Google's machine learning Python module (Scikit-learn) to train a classifier and classify building permit data.
- Worked on a large Python scraping app to intelligently scrape contractor and building permit data from all over the US on an ongoing basis. This also included a data pipeline to sanitize, normalize, and transfer data to our PostgreSQL databases.
Physics Teacher2012 - 2013Green Dot Public Schools
- Helped young minds gain an intuitive sense of the physics of the world around them through lab activities and hands-on learning.
- Taught physics with algebra, theory, and experiments.
- Managed behavioral expectations for 20+ adolescents.
Physics Teaching Assistant2010 - 2012Auburn University
Technologies: MATLAB, Fortran
- Instructed undergraduate engineering students in the subject of physics.
- Assisted undergraduate physics students with laboratory assignments.
- Taught as an assistant for four different physics courses.