General Manager, Lead Software Engineer2006 - PRESENTAzuResults, LLC
- Created a business to support my efforts at finding work as an independent software developer.
- Completed two projects for TauMetrix, a startup in the semiconductor test equipment industry.
- Replaced TauMetrix' custom computer vision system for wafer alignment with a more industry-standard one using Cognex technologies.
- Created a simple oscilloscope-like front-end for a custom testing tool for TauMetrix.
- Worked with TauMetrix to assure proper bug-free operation and prompt fixes to any discovered issues. The client showed their satisfaction by hiring me back for the second project after the first was properly completed.
- Completed three projects for a private software contract with an individual in London working on market trading software using unique concepts and algorithms involving applications of astronomy to modern market trading.
- Developed custom tooling for a private WAMP stack server for London client, including some unusual security features.
- Won an award co-coding a project at the iOS Dev Camp 2015 hackathon. (See project in the portfolio section.).
Software Developer2018 - 2018ECS Video Systems
Technologies: Visual C++ 2010, Windows, PubNub
- Developed a remote-control feature using PubNub IoT platform to replace the obsolete GoogleTalk implementation while maintaining minimum latency.
- Researched various alternatives to provide real-time text/graphics scrolling performance across the internet.
- Developed a basic file transfer protocol for the PubNub platform (none currently provided). Latency issues were particularly challenging. Legacy code (2010-level) required certain compromises, which I was able to code around, to varying success.
- Worked with client to get code on a Git repo and better build system.
- Added runtime features to system, including event logging to Windows Event Tracing subsystem.
Senior Sofrware Engineer1997 - 2005KLA-Tencor Corporation
Technologies: Visual C++, Windows, Cognex CVL, Matrox Video
- Continued work from Prometrix and Tencor (as the company continued growth and mergers).
- Developed wafer alignment software subsystems for the Summit software platform, evolving it to adapt to new product lines.
- Programmed primarily on the wafer alignment vision systems, based on Cognex vision technology.
- Helped lead the team to adopt CMM level 3 quality standards, passing audit successfully.
- Set up systems for regular integration (CI) using best technologies available at the time.
Software Engineer1987 - 1997Tencor Instruments, Prometrix Corp.
Technologies: C/C++, Windows, Embedded, Cognex CVL, Matrox video
- Developed a Windows-based embedded machine control system (hardware and software).
- Built the application for the Cognex vision system technologies to a camera-based fully automated user-trainable wafer alignment mechanism on several tools.
- Evolved all developed technologies through their product life cycles from inception through production and maintenance.
- Set up automated build systems for continuous integration under Windows SCCS and related VCS systems.
- Worked with Tech Support, QA, and Sales teams to directly support customers in solving issues that came up. This included trips to customer clean rooms to observe and analyze tools in their production environment.
- Awarded several appreciation awards by the company for extra efforts to keep customers satisfied.
Founder, Software Technical Lead1984 - 1986VoiceWare
Technologies: C, Windows, Embedded Systems, Votan Speech Recognition
- Co-founded the company with some friends to provide innovative solutions to business and consumer problems using voice technologies.
- Led the technical team (initially three engineers, up to six at the largest) to set up software as a toolkit for writing different products.
- Implemented the first of five planned products (the voice mail system) using the developed SDK. Two systems were eventually sold.
- Learned a lot about startups and voice technology, perhaps many years ahead of its time.
Electrical Engineer and Software Engineer1978 - 1984Tencor Instruments
Technologies: Z80 Assembler, Forth, C, STD-Z80 Bus
- Hired as the first software engineer at Tencor (employee #25). Initial work was hardware-based (Alpha-Step Digital Interface project, SonoGage sorting system).
- Developed the first computer-based embedded system around a Z80 processor on 8-bit STD bus computer cards. Programmed the machine control system to move the wafers from cassettes to the measurement subsystem and back.
- Evolved the system to use Forth language (for more compact memory footprint). Included language training at Forth, Inc.
- Moved system design onto embedded computer platform using IBM-compatible PC from Victor Corp.
- Moved software design to a team-based approach with the hiring of another software engineer in 1982. Switched the language to C for better team communication, design standard practices, and better alignment with corporate goals.
- Performed as a key member of the team, the only person on staff who knew how to write firmware to control the embedded test systems for the company.