Verified Expert in Engineering
Michael is a UI-focused software engineer with over eight years of experience across various organizations, most recently at global investment banks. At Citibank, he's working on a cross-asset risk system to service the markets and security services business. Michael has worked across the stack with various technologies and is particularly interested in TypeScript, React, and GraphQL.
MacOS, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Slack, Zoom, GitHub, Git
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is a data governance portal software in Barclays that replaced a third-party tool and saved over one million in membership fees per year.
- Led an agile engineering team of five UI developers to provide platform and software solutions focused on cross-asset risk management.
- Led engineering-only and cross-team design sessions.
- Implemented and architected a high-quality React UI for a cross-asset risk system to service the market and security services business.
- Performed scrum master duties, leading daily meetings, sprint planning, resource management, and budgeting.
- Collaborated with global partners (stakeholders) to drive the implementation of the next-gen risk system.
- Improved development processes by instilling an inclusive team culture that includes code reviews, standardized testing, and release processes.
- Developed the user interface (UI) screens for a healthcare desktop application for medical note-taking. These UI screens, including Login, Register, Profile, and Library, were developed using React, TypeScript, and Electron.
- Monitored and oversaw problem resolution through Jira issues tracking and management.
- Collaborated closely with the UI team to influence the overarching front-end architecture and address intricate UI challenges in Electron and React technologies.
- Engaged in routine pair programming sessions with fellow UI engineers within the team to tackle technical issues.
Senior Software Engineer
- Contributed to a market-leading B2B multi-tenanted SaaS platform disrupting the recruitment industry using the latest front-end technologies.
- Reviewed software documentation to ensure technical accuracy, compliance, or completeness to mitigate risks.
- Conducted regular code reviews, pair programming, and design sessions to ensure code quality, reusability, and maintainability.
- Contributed to architecture and technology choices within the team.
Lead Front-end Engineer
- Led an agile team of ten front-end, back-end, and full-stack engineers.
- Contributed to all phases of agile, including requirement analysis, architecture design, development, testing, deployment, and ongoing support for Barclays' internal applications.
- Owned, designed, and developed a React Graph Visualisation Explorer for Barclays' extensive internal data to cut the £1.3 million annual membership cost of third-party software.
- Collaborated with designers to create clean interfaces and simple, intuitive interactions and experiences.
- Provided technical expertise and peer code reviews to other team members.
- Translated the design team's UX wireframes and mockups into responsive web applications.
- Developed interactive infographics for BHF and Deutsche Bank.
- Used the AngularJS framework for building web apps and worked on the Bootstrap CSS framework for responsive web design.
- Fixed bugs from existing websites and implemented enhancements that significantly improved web functionality and speed.
- Developed, maintained, and deployed website solutions for HBO, Fox, and Warner Bros.
- Worked on multiple projects simultaneously to a high standard.
I played a pivotal role in shaping the front-end architecture by collaborating closely with the UI team. We collectively tackled complex UI challenges within the Electron and React frameworks.
Furthermore, I fostered a culture of collaboration by engaging in frequent pair programming sessions with fellow UI engineers, facilitating the resolution of technical issues. Throughout this project, my efforts contributed to enhancing the overall quality and functionality of the application.
Risk Platform for Citibank
I'm currently the technical lead and the core engineer of this project. My primary responsibilities include making architectural decisions, feature developments, hosting sprint ceremonies, and stakeholder/project management.
Data Governance Portal for Barclays
The team has grown from one engineer (myself) to around ten engineers within a year. Apart from the technical contributions, I was heavily involved with hiring (reviewing resumes and conducting interviews) and building a solid team.
Talent Portal for Beamery
Next.js, Jest, Cypress, Redux, Tailwind CSS, MUI (formerly Material UI), Electron, Bootstrap, AngularJS, Express.js, Laravel
React, REST APIs, React Router, Node.js, Emotion Library, AG Grid, jQuery, D3.js
Functional Programming, Pair Programming, Agile, Responsive Web Design (RWD), Agile Software Development, Web UI Design, UI Design, Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Mobile, Firebase, Contentful, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Docker, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Blockchain
Storybook, Styled-components, Code Review, Enzyme, React Testing Library, Code Splitting, Responsive UI, Front-end, Apollo, Single-page Applications (SPA), Full-stack, UI Development, Chakra UI, Responsive Design, Front-end Development, Axios, DOM, Web UI, Recoil, Web Accessibility, APIs, User Interface (UI), Finance, Fintech, Serverless, WebSockets, Web UX, User Experience (UX), Redux Toolkit, Microfrontends, Team Management, Software Development, Web Development, Networking, Source Code Review, CI/CD Pipelines, Apollo Server, Cloudflare, Cryptocurrency
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Lancaster University - Lancaster, United Kingdom