Verified Expert in Engineering
Michael is a full-stack developer, indie maker, and former CTO. With over ten years of experience in startups and innovation projects, he has advanced expertise with complex software systems and the implementation of processes in fast, uncertain environments. He can transform developmental needs into intuitive, practical, and user-friendly digital experiences.
The most amazing...
...product I've developed is Storyliner, a creative platform for copywriters and content teams. It was awarded the German Excellence Award.
Full-stack React Developer
- Built a cross-platform portal for internal communications for a 900-employee solid and global solution provider in the industrial mobility sector.
- Built a real-time collaborative editing environment in React, like Google Docs or Notion.
- Created a React component library with Storybook, Parcel, and TypeScript as an npm package.
- Launched a web content clipper as a Chrome extension created with Create React App.
- Bootstrapped Storyline, the AI-enhanced collaborative creative platform for corporate communications since 2020.
- Received the German Excellence Award for my indie project Storyline.
Founder and Chief Technology Officer
- Designed and built a chatbot to automate marketing tasks for 2,500+ users.
- Set the product roadmap and translated the vision into technical reality.
- Led a six-person product team with designers and engineers.
- Conducted more than 200 interviews with content creatives, content managers, and publishers to improve our product.
- Awarded as Content Startup of the year 2018 at the Frankfort book fair.
Agency Owner and Creative Technologist
Gravitales GmbH (self-employed)
- Designed and developed digital products with design sprints. The 4-day process is a way to compress months of work into a few days.
- Managed the conception of products or features and the technical implementation simultaneously as a creative technologist.
- Participated in projects that ranged from marketing platforms, editorial systems, web portals, and campaigns to brand websites.
Digital Consultant and Web Developer
mii ventures GmbH (self-employed)
- Advised brands on their content strategy, information architecture, and online marketing strategy focused on SEO as the digital consultant.
- Implemented mobile-optimized and responsive websites for more than 30 small and medium-sized companies.
- Received the EXIST Business Start-up Grant for an indie project. This grant supports graduates and scientists in preparing innovative technology projects.
- Developed a prototype MVP for a startup that later became a unicorn.
Research Associate and Project Manager
- Designed, developed, and led innovation projects of different sizes and acquired funding.
- Developed an innovation project that led to a patented application.
- Led work that was awarded the REHAU Prize for Technology.
Storyliner – The AI-enhanced Creative Platformhttps://storyliner.app/
Working on innovation projects, I realized the tools for creating product and marketing copy just didn't cut it. In 2020, I started Storyliner, a creative platform designed specifically for creatives and content teams. The SaaS platform empowers you to create compelling content with the creative support of artificial intelligence. You can compose concepts faster and collaborate more effectively.
The project is bootstrapped with a Next.js app and built as a progressive web app. One highlight from a developer's perspective is the real-time multiplayer editing experience built on top of Slate.js, with Redis and Yjs as CRDT implementation giving users a collaborative experience like Google Docs or Notion.
my.Felss – Flexible Portal for Internal Commshttps://www.michaelschmitt.io/portfolio/myfelss/
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the need for internal communication increased rapidly at the machine builder. As a freelance creative technologist, the Felss marketing team and I decided on a multistep approach to development.
First, we designed and deployed a blog to provide employees with essential information about the ongoing crisis within weeks. Later, the blog was expanded into an information portal with mobile apps and authentication. The portal provided internal news and relevant documents to moderate the ongoing transformation process.
I knew right from the beginning that there are more features on the roadmap than just a blogging function, so we decided to use a headless CMS to manage the content. This allowed us to use the CMS as a single content source and develop different user interfaces like a Next.js web portal and blog and React native-based iOS and Android apps.
my.Felss is now the mobile-first intranet that connects everyone.
SIGMUND TALKS – Your Personal Marketing Assistanthttps://www.michaelschmitt.io/portfolio/sigmund-talks/
As chief technology officer, I managed the chatbot's product development and technology integration.
Chatbots were one of the hype topics in 2018. There were isolated projects, frameworks, and platforms but little empirical data on which technologies ran stably or were particularly well suited for the chosen use case.
The user interface was developed with React, styled-components, and Apollo Client and deployed via Firebase. The user input was processed using the Natural Language Understanding platform Google Dialogflow.
All server-side tasks were packaged into individual modules or microservices and bundled in a GraphQL API. To further process the briefings and the generated concepts, users could download the content or export it directly to any service of their choice via the Zapier web service.
Echogramm – The Social News App for Businesseshttps://www.michaelschmitt.io/portfolio/echogramm/
I built the Echogramm as an indie project with the production framework Next.js. The app was developed as a progressive web app (PWA) for mobile, tablets, and desktop clients. This way, it provides a native app-like experience without high costs for maintaining different apps for different platforms.
The React front-end retrieves data from a GraphQL API based on an Apollo server connected to several microservices and a web scraper.
Foconn – The Marketing Platform for Opticianshttps://www.michaelschmitt.io/portfolio/foconn/
React Native, Next.js, Tailwind CSS, Redux, MJML, Materialize, Express.js, Jest, MUI (formerly Material UI)
React, Node.js, Social Media APIs, AWS Amplify, React Redux, REST APIs
React Apollo, Google Analytics, Dialogflow, Create React App, Figma, Git, GitHub, Hotjar, Zapier, Expo.io, Sketch, PostCSS, NPM, CAD, Microsoft Excel, AWS AppSync
UX Design, Web UX Design, Web UI Design, Microservices Architecture, Agile Software Development, Microservices, Testing, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), REST
Mobile, Vercel, Firebase, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), WordPress, Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS Lambda, Meteor, Mixpanel, Contentful
Web Design, Project Management
Responsive UI, Lean Startups, Digital Innovation, Online Marketing, Business Development, Design Sprints, Agile Practices, Digital Strategy, Technology Trends, Apollo Server, User Authentication, User Management, Gatsby, Google Tag Manager, Headless Software, APIs, Product Development, Startups, Concepting, Prototyping, Wireframing, Mockups, Web Development, Architecture, Full-stack, Full-stack Development, Front-end, Technical Leadership, Styled-components, Web Scraping, Prismic, Push Notifications, Progressive Web Applications (PWA), Slate.js, OpenAI, Data Aggregation, Engineering Informatics, Chatbots, Conversational UI, Conversational Interfaces, CTO, Portals, Conversational UX, ESLint, Storybook, Team Management, Analytics, Team Leadership, Software Architecture, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Natural Language Processing (NLP), CRDT, Statistics, Startup Funding, Fundraising, Chrome Extensions, Private NPM Modules, React Testing Library, User Experience (UX), Responsive Web Apps, Product Ownership, Containers, People Management, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT)
MongoDB, Redis, Cloud Firestore, PostgreSQL
Master's Degree in Marketing and Innovation
Steinbeis School of Management and Innovation - Berlin, Germany
Postgraduate Degree in Engineering
University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt - Würzburg, Germany
Artificial Intelligence: Implications for Business Strategy
MIT Sloan School of Management