Senior Software Developer2021 - 2022Shopify
Technologies: Ruby, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Apache Kafka, React, MySQL, Scaling, Performance, Cargo & Shipping, Technical Design, Technical Leadership, Hiring, Interviewing, GraphQL, Software Architecture, eCommerce, Shopify, Technical Architecture, Leadership, Full-stack, Project Management, GitHub, Web Scraping, Python, HTML, API Integration, RSpec, ActiveAdmin, REST
- Scaled a centralized package tracking system to process 160 million shipments and 2+ billion status updates per month.
- Collaborated with external partners, such as UPS, DHL, and Parcel Perform, designing and building state-of-the-art integrations. This work led to much higher throughput, lower latencies, and cost savings of $500,000 per year.
- Mentored junior engineers through pair programming and code reviews, involving them in higher-level technical design work and department-wide show and tells. Helped build promotion case from an intern to the developer, skipping the junior level.
Senior Software Engineer2019 - 2020Fortune 500 Manufacturing Company
- Created a library of reusable React components, including documented use cases in Storybooks and tests in Jest/Enzyme.
- Implemented ARIA landmark 1 accessibility requirements.
- Upgraded an existing data API service from Rails 4 to Rails 6.
- Implemented new data API endpoints, focusing on speed, caching, and data structure tailored for the presentation layer.
- Migrated legacy local websites into a single multilingual site.
- Lowered the cost of feature development, improved delivery times, largely removed QA issues on new pages, and improved site performance.
Senior Software Engineer2018 - 2019Prodigy Finance
- Prepared architectural outline and led implementation of an OAuth OpenID Connect provider, enabling single-sign-on (SSO) to all Prodigy services.
- Migrated existing services from EC2 to ECS Fargate, enabling autoscaling, blue-green deploys, and improving security.
- Reimplemented existing Excel cash flow models as a Ruby on Rails and React application, lowering turnaround time for new models from days to minutes.
Project Leader2018 - 2018Market Research Company
- Gathered business requirements and provided timeline and technical architecture of the project.
- Built a distributed, queue-based, horizontally scaling scraper in Node.js, deployed to ECS.
- Integrated residential IP address proxy and CAPTCHA solving service.
- Implemented the ETL process, ingesting data from Alibaba, AliExpress, Taobao, and Tmall.
- Built the React front end, allowing data filtering, data export, and scraping progress monitoring.
CTO2014 - 2017Stagelink
- Developed a tool indexing more than 30 million unique YouTube channels weekly, using a mix of API access and scraping.
- Rebuilt a legacy jQuery front end in React from scratch for both Stagelink customer-facing products; moved away from a monolithic Rails app towards API-based services.
- Implemented and optimized a show-attendance prediction algorithm designed by the company's CEO. Deployed the new code to production—increasing prediction accuracy by 15% and increasing the calculation speed three-fold.
- Hired and led a team of six developers—performing code reviews and training sessions, having one-on-one meetings every two weeks, and mentoring junior developers.
- Designed a voting fraud detection system that analyzed tens of thousands of votes per day to identify fake users, multiple votes by the same person, and other abuses.
- Implemented an extensible payment back end, interfacing with multiple payment providers, including PAYMILL, Stripe, PayPal, SOFORT, and Wirecard.
Software Engineer2012 - 2013Digital Polsat
- Developed a search engine for a music-streaming platform consisting of more than 15 million songs. The search engine was based on Elasticsearch and MongoDB and was deployed to a cluster of EC2 servers.
- Finetuned a search engine configuration based on artist popularity and measurements of hit/miss ratio for presented results.
- Exposed the search engine to mobile, web, and desktop applications by building a JSON-based API service in Rails.
- Implemented a recommendation service based on user preferences, content team picks, etc.
- Developed a caching-layer based on Memcached (for in-app caching) and Varnish (for page and endpoint-level caching).
Full-stack Developer2010 - 2011LiveChat
- Integrated LiveChat with various third-party applications including Zendesk, Salesforce, Highrise, and Zoho to pull customer data into a chat window.
- Built an outside-facing REST API, wrote docs and sample code, helped outside developers integrate with it, and troubleshot issues.
- Created chat plugins for popular eCommerce solutions (Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce, and the like).
- Developed a wizard allowing LiveChat clients to customize their chat experiences for their users by changing the color scheme for the chat window, adding pre-chat questions, and a post-chat survey.
- Built an API for an internal dashboard showing sales and usage statistics.
Software Developer2009 - 2010CCIG
- Designed and implemented a quality assurance application—including a dynamic survey generator and HTML5 audio player. I also developed a back-end service that selected a random sample from a pool of all sales calls recorded on a previous day.
- Wrote, specified, designed, and developed an applicant-tracking system according to HR department requirements.
- Migrated the internal apps from a legacy homegrown PHP framework to Symfony.