Verified Expert in Engineering
Mike has designed and implemented high-performance systems his entire career. Working at the intersection of data ingestion, processing, storage, and retrieval, he is an expert in building products fueled by big data. His work has powered life-saving tools and been awarded multiple patents.
Racket, Go, Lua, Elixir, Scala, Python, Ruby, Java
The most amazing...
...system I've developed could ingest, normalize, process, and annotate any type of text, image, video, or audio data, to detect emergencies in real-time.
Software Engineer, Project Lead, and Platform Architect
- Helped lead migration away from a monolithic Ruby on Rails application to a service-oriented architecture using Kubernetes for orchestration and Kafka for a message bus.
- Led efforts to ingest public social media into a system composed of a dozen services that processed up to 5,000 messages per second.
- Helped design the next generation data ingestion system capable of ingesting and normalizing private signals from any partner, and enforcing authorization rules.
- Helped design and implement a data API capable of providing filtered streams of events to thousands of customers with under 200 milliseconds of latency and 99.9% availability.
- Led design and implementation of a rules engine to process complex rules about streams of events and send notifications to customers in real-time.
- Developed ad conversion rate prediction systems using Java microservices that made thousands of predictions per second and updated models online.
- Worked on a Ruby on Rails app that rendered ads with under 100 milliseconds of latency to end users and displayed dashboards to customers and internal users.
- Added modules to an iOS SDK to support mediating third-party ads and tracking internal metrics.
Banjo Live-time Platform
Elixir Kafka Clienthttps://github.com/mikeurbach/kafkex
RabbitMQ, Flink, NGINX
Apache Kafka, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS), iOS, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Memcached, Redis, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Redshift
Prometheus, Geospatial Data, Stream Processing
Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Computer Engineering
Dartmouth College - Hanover, New Hampshire, USA