Staff Software Engineer2012 - 2019
Technologies: Scala, Java, Python, SQL, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud, Google Cloud Spanner, Amazon DynamoDB, OAuth 2, Jira, Git
- Acted as technical lead for around 18 developers and DevOps engineers. Oversaw the entire back-end stack of the Google Nest Cam (once Dropcam) ecosystem, receiving data from millions of devices and providing live and recorded video.
- Oversaw the delicate transition of huge camera cloud infrastructure (many thousands of VMs, and approximately distinct services) from the AWS platform to Google Cloud. Sequenced application and API updates to avoid downtime and managed the multi-step transition.
- Acted as primary release engineer for multiple components of the back-end camera cloud ecosystem. Allocated features and bugs to releases, triaged performance regressions, and managed release and hotfix procedures.
- Designed and implemented a dynamic load balancing system for assigning camera devices to back-end storage and API servers. System detected server health and reallocated as needed. Massively simplified the process of launching new VMs and made APIs more resilient.
Software Engineer2008 - 2012Power Reviews
- Redesigned and implemented the internal and client-facing administration and moderation dashboard to support a sophisticated authorization model.
- Enhanced the consumer-facing website to support easy configuration by marketing and business teams, e.g., choosing ads, updating copy, and enhancing analytics.