Verified Expert in Engineering
Mikhail has worked as a software engineer for more than ten years, initially for startups, joining as an early employee and seeing those companies through years of growth and subsequent acquisition. As a member of small teams, Mikhail has acted as a full-stack engineer, but most of his experience is on the back end. At Google, Mikhail was the technical lead of a team of 15 engineers overseeing the infrastructure backing the service for the consumer home security camera product.
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud, Slack, IntelliJ, Git
The most amazing...
...tool I've designed and built was a system for dynamically allocating load (from cameras uploading streaming video data) to a set of healthy back-end servers.
Staff Software Engineer
- Acted as technical lead for around 18 developers and DevOps engineers. Oversaw the entire back-end stack of the Google Nest Cam (once Dropcam) ecosystem, receiving data from millions of devices and providing live and recorded video.
- Oversaw the delicate transition of huge camera cloud infrastructure (many thousands of VMs, and approximately distinct services) from the AWS platform to Google Cloud. Sequenced application and API updates to avoid downtime and managed the multi-step transition.
- Acted as primary release engineer for multiple components of the back-end camera cloud ecosystem. Allocated features and bugs to releases, triaged performance regressions, and managed release and hotfix procedures.
- Designed and implemented a dynamic load balancing system for assigning camera devices to back-end storage and API servers. System detected server health and reallocated as needed. Massively simplified the process of launching new VMs and made APIs more resilient.
- Redesigned and implemented the internal and client-facing administration and moderation dashboard to support a sophisticated authorization model.
- Enhanced the consumer-facing website to support easy configuration by marketing and business teams, e.g., choosing ads, updating copy, and enhancing analytics.
Game Bot for Slack
Slack, Git, IntelliJ, MATLAB, Mathematica, Jira
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Unix, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Docker, Dokku
Computer Science, Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Slackbot
Google Cloud, Google Cloud Spanner, Amazon DynamoDB
Spring, OAuth 2
Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering
Stanford University - Palo Alto, California, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering
California Institute of Technology - Pasadena, California, USA
Effective Programming in Scala