Verified Expert in Engineering
DevOps Engineer and Developer
Milind is a senior infrastructure and DevOps engineer with over seven years of experience architecting, automating, and optimizing mission-critical deployments over large infrastructures. Milind is keen on handling configuration management with Ansible, infrastructure as code with Terraform, virtualization with AWS and Microsoft Azure, containerization with Docker and Kubernetes, as well as CI/CD and DevOps processes.
Linux, Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Containers
The most amazing...
...accomplishment of mine was becoming a CivoCloud ambassador for my contributions to their community. CivoCloud is the first Kubernetes provider based on K3s.
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Designed and implemented several end-to-end solutions based on AWS and Azure cloud computing with automation, CI/CD, and full-stack observability.
- Became a subject matter expert advising multiple teams on virtualization cloud computing and containerization solutions.
- Evaluated different technologies by performing POCs, which helped teams design their systems.
- Guided and supported multiple teams of over 30 developers in their daily DevOps activities.
- Played a key role in establishing the entire cloud-based distributed computing infrastructure to build systems that consume and process vast amounts of data for generating maps.
- Managed over 100 Linux servers and components, provisioning and handling the configuration and deployment of infrastructure and services.
- Used Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) and Rancher AWS services to deploy containerized workloads on multiple systems.
- Built CI/CD deployment pipelines using a combination of Jenkins, Azure DevOps, GitHub Actions, and the Argo CD GitOps agent for deployment on multiple systems, reducing the time to take code changes from development to production.
- Employed AWS Elastic Load Balancing (ELB), Azure Load Balancer, NGINX Ingress Controller, Traefik Kubernetes Ingress, and Kong API Gateway tools for load balancing to handle a constantly increasing user base and ensure scalability and reliability.
- Became a cloud delegate leading cloud-cost optimization activities across the department, which saved thousands of dollars.
- Helped different teams to incorporate DevOps culture.
- Configured a highly available Elasticsearch cluster with X-Pack security enabled and RBAC configured on Kibana. This cluster ingests all the logs from different services running on different clusters.
- Evaluated different tools like Kubespray, AWS EKS, KOPS, etc., for configuring Kubernetes clusters and finally settled down on Rancher.
- Designed and implemented a microservice architecture using Kubernetes on AWS. Rancher was used to configure the cluster with monitoring and logging enabled.
- Configured highly available Elasticsearch stack (Elasticsearch and Kibana) on AWS with RAID 0 disks for faster reads/writes to store geospatial data.
- Designed and implemented the IAAS platform on AWS with automated deployment using Terraform, Ansible, and Jenkins.
- Implemented a highly available database using MongoDB cluster on AWS to store map data. Designed and implemented monitoring for the entire system, including the database using the Percona monitoring tool.
- Containerized Node.js and Java-based applications using Docker. Used Helm charts to deploy applications on Kubernetes.
- Installed and configured a highly available streaming cluster using Kafka with security features like encryption, authentication, and authorization enabled that can stream millions of leads (map sources) between different systems.
- Built a workflow engine using Camunda on top of Kubernetes that orchestrates millions of leads (maps sources) between different systems.
- Worked on a complex cloud infrastructure-based enterprise application.
- Built a fairly complex microservices-based IoT platform using Docker, Apache Mesos, Marathon, Apache ZooKeeper, Consul DNS discovery, HAProxy, Chronos, Artifactory, Terraform, Ansible, Packer, Vagrant, and Cloud-init.
- Contributed to the on-call team that constantly monitored the up-time of the infrastructure using the Statuspage, Pingdom, PagerDuty, and other operations tools.
- Leveraged different AWS services, including Amazon EC2, AWS RDS, Amazon S3, AWS Route 53, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), Amazon EBS, Amazon EFS, Amazon EC2 Spot Instances, and Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling group (ASG).
- Evaluated different tools for container security like Twistlock, CoreOS Clair, Docker Bench, and CIS-CAT.
- Handled system-level upgrades, including the operating system and kernel.
- Applied infosec changes for the operating system and container hardening. I also used patches for vulnerabilities like Dirty COW, Spectre, and Meltdown.
- Built pre-baked virtual machine images using Packer with infosec changes for operating system hardening, Linux vanilla kernels, and pre-configured software to reduce cluster provisioning time.
- Employed tools like Terraform and Ansible to deploy the Apache Mesos cluster.
- Made some open-source contributions to showcase our expertise to clients.
I was one of the very first users of their service under their KUBE100 program. I was elected as a Civo ambassador, due to my contribution to their community, in the form of blog posts, GitHub code, and general support in their community channel. Most of my blog posts are often published as guides on the CivoCloud platform—milindchawre.github.io/site/
Migration from AWS to Azure Cloud
Git, Terraform, Ansible, Grafana, Packer, Vagrant, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Azure App Service, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), AWS IAM, Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR), Helm, AWS ELB, Azure Key Vault, AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS), Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Azure Application Insights, GitHub, ELK (Elastic Stack), Kong, Fluentd, Jenkins, Apache ZooKeeper, Artifactory, Azure DevOps Services, Amazon EKS, Kibana, Logstash, Amazon ElastiCache, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), AWS Fargate, Amazon CloudWatch, SonarQube, Camunda BPM
DevOps, Azure DevOps
Linux, Azure, Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon EC2, Percona, Apache Kafka, AWS Lambda
RDBMS, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Amazon EFS, Azure Blobs, Databases, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, MongoDB
Containers, CI/CD Pipelines, Prometheus, GitHub Actions, Cloud, Amazon RDS, AWS Auto Scaling, Amazon Route 53, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Azure Files, Azure Storage, Azure Cache for Redis, Azure Virtual Networks, Azure Virtual Machines, Trusted Advisor, Azure Monitor, Content Delivery Networks (CDN), DNS, Cloud Security, Apache Mesos, GitOps, Shell Scripting, HAProxy, Consul
Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Computer Science
Maharashtra Institute of Technology - Pune, India
Microsoft Certified: DevOps Engineer Expert
Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator Associate
Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals
Certified Jenkins Engineer
Certified Calico Operator: Level 1
Certified Kubernetes Application Developer
Certified Kubernetes Administrator
Certified Rancher Operator: Level 1