Founder | Urban Technologist2015 - PRESENTPoe Public
- Implemented participatory budgeting maps for the city council of NYC. Thousands of ideas are submitted across 20+ participating council districts each year. Also worked on participatory budgeting projects with Long Beach, CA, Greensboro, NC, and Cambridge, MA.
- Developed idea collection maps for Miami Foundation's public space challenge. This included a rating/judging component through which they determined how to allocate $300,000+ each year.
- Worked with the NYC city council to vet and provide suggestions for improvements on their legislative management system (Legistar) API.
- Created a map-based survey to prepare the bicycle transit systems and the city of Los Angeles's bike-share rollout.
Data Engineer2019 - 2021Betterment
Technologies: Apache Airflow, PostgreSQL, Redshift, Data Building Tool (DBT), Project Leadership, Python
- Led the transition of the service provider used for syncing data from eight upstream financial application databases (PostgreSQL and MySQL) to the data warehouse (Redshift).
- Planned and led a thorough data validation process for testing the correctness of synced data and accounting for varying assumptions between different data syncing providers.
- Established patterns for modeling data transformations using DBT, replacing legacy, home-grown patterns.
Co-founder | CTO2017 - 2020Stepwise Analytics
- Oversaw the development of Stepwise's applications and guided the company's overall technology strategy.
- Created a system to generate detailed, data visualization-rich automated reports for every property across the cities the company supports.
- Built a vector tile server to dynamically render tiles based on queries across hundreds of thousands of properties.
- Constructed data exploration tools to help company developers understand the historical accuracy of their machine learning models at any point.
- Decreased the number of errors in the company's property valuation models by 50%.
Digital Services Architect2015 - 2017City of Philadelphia, Open Data & Digital Transformation (ODDT)
- Researched, designed, and developed processes and tools to help city departments collect, use, and release data.
- Developed an interim homeless management information system for the Office of Supportive Housing to help them avoid regressing to a paper-based data collection system which would have jeopardized their ability to deliver HUD reports required for a significant portion of their funding.
- Implemented an interactive data visualization of occurrences of “bullet voting”—when voters choose only one of five allowed candidates for at-large council positions—during the 2015 city council primary election. The visualization allowed the city controller’s office to communicate a confusing phenomenon to the general public.
- Researched and began designing processes to centralize deployment, management, and reporting around the City’s ETL pipelines. Based on the challenges that ODDT faced around ETL, identified, and began implementing an instance of Airflow. Also began documenting recommendations on how ODDT should be building ETL scripts, using petl as a data transformation and validation library.
Software Developer2012 - 2015OpenPlans
- Worked on a small team with amazing people on projects that empower people to get involved in planning for the future of their communities and cities.
- Helped to develop Shareabouts, a flexible tool for gathering geography-specific public input. Primarily responsible for developing the Django REST framework-based Shareabouts data server, reporting tools, and core parts of the mapping interface.
- Built a product called OpenPlans, an outgrowth of our experience building tools and websites for urban planning projects. Worked on many parts of this project: server-side data management, external service integration, APIs, browser-side interface development, and testing.