Verified Expert in Engineering
Morgan spent 11 years developing, learning, and teaching technology tools for a major Australian university, applying all kinds of knowledge from database development to video production. He has also been writing iOS apps that whole time, including a ground-up rewrite of the official app for Great Australasian Beer SpecTAPular (GABS) in SwiftUI for the 2021 incarnation. Morgan always enjoys and is looking for exciting and challenging projects in the web or mobile space.
MacOS, iOS, Swift, Python, Django, Moodle, iOS SDK
The most amazing...
...experience I've had was seeing thousands of students get assessed in real-time, on stage, with the app I built and the live scoreboard behind them.
Full-stack iOS Developer
- Developed the official iOS app for the annual beer festival Great Australasian Beer SpecTAPular (GABS) from 2012 through to the present day, originally in UIKit and Objective-C and now entirely in Swift and SwiftUI.
- Managed and deployed the back end that powers GABS including both iOS and Android versions from 2016 onwards; has adapted to changing data sources, originally WordPress, then Google Sheets, and now Airtable.
- Designed, developed, and published Roadtrip, a universal iOS app for offline maps and turn-by-turn directions with multiple stops which is no longer on the App Store.
- Developed the official iOS app for the Great Australian Beer Festival in 2013, providing on-site support and data management on the day of the event, which is no longer available on the App Store.
- Developed UI components for the iOS app FROW Live, working in an MVVM-C architecture, including developing connections to the backend GraphQL API (and occasionally debugging said API when the backend dev was on holiday).
- Tracked issues and marked progress using ClickUp, using an agile development strategy.
- Integrated designs from Canva into full SwiftUI views, including custom animations and styling.
Educational Technology Developer
University of New South Wales
- Did team evaluation and an adaptation to group-based projects that allowed for recognition of individual achievement based on group consensus.
- Worked on a distributed grading system that allows teachers to mark students quickly and easily on an iPad, which removed around a thousand sheets of paper from one engineering assessment.
- Built a mixed-mode examination system allowing paper exams to be quickly scanned and graded in Moodle, with a turnaround time of hours, not days. A modified version was used for home learning during the COVID-19 pandemic when the campus was closed.
- Developed a system for educators to book in one-on-one sessions with educational support staff, à la Apple's Genius Bar; built on top of Microsoft Power platform and integrated with Outlook and Teams.
GABS App for iOS
My work focused primarily on modifying and expanding the capabilities of the platform for the Faculty of Engineering, including a full-scale workflow for team-based learning. I delivered several plugins, enhancements to existing tools, and integrations with other platforms within UNSW.
The app was written in SwiftUI with an MVVM-C pattern and backed by GraphQL and Apollo. I wrote much of the front-end code and also a fair amount of the connector code to the back-end services.
Hottest 100 Helperhttps://hottest100.gormster.me
I wrote this in about a week while I was self-isolating with COVID-19, primarily because it was a tool I wanted to exist, but also to teach myself React. If it seems a little shaky, that's because it was written in a week, with a framework that was brand new to me, while I was sick with COVID-19.
iOS SDK, UIKit, Django, SwiftUI, Flask
Moodle, Xcode, Microsoft Power Apps, Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro, Canva
iOS, MacOS, Docker
Django ORM, React, React Router
YouTube Livestreaming, Data, Airtable, APIs, ClickUp, Containers
REST, Model View Viewmodel (MVVM)