Murali Krishnan M
Verified Expert in Engineering
Unix Shell Scripting Developer
Murali is an expert database and Unix developer who's spent over the last 12 years developing, designing, and executing various IT projects. He uses a wide range of technologies, including the front-end and RDBMS. He has worked in the legal and financial domains and with various multinational companies. Murali joined Toptal to see what is out there and work on exciting projects with talented people.
MySQL, Microsoft Access, PL/SQL, Unix Shell Scripting, Unix
The most amazing...
...thing I've automated is a prototype payroll system for a manufacturing company. I deployed various reports, data extracts, and apps for the finance team.
- Designed and developed PL/SQL programs, SAP BI reports, Unix shell scripting, Unix scripting, create and edit jobs features, and AutoSys monitoring for the new project. Worked in the development of primos, alias, and CP2A projects.
- Involved in performance tuning, SQL tuning, and the overall application response. Gained experience in writing complex SQL, packages, and AWR software.
- Maintained the day-to-day development, staging, UAT, and production job failures. Gained expertise in identifying and resolving Unix shell job failures, Unix commands, and scripting.
- Designed, developed, and updated Unix shell scripting jobs. Gained experience in using Unix/Linux commands for file handling and debugging. Became familiar with grep, find, vi, and the file admin commands.
- Have expertise in CI/CD, DevOps using Deployment Automation [Serena], Jenkins, Relman & BitBucket.
- Independently migrated the CP2A application from an AIX Unix system to a Linux server for an entire site.
- Developed a type of software for logistics mid-range customers.
- Deployed stored programs, procedures, and triggers in a MySQL database.
- Worked in the XAMPP framework for the development IDE.
- Developed a point-of-sale system with C#.NET on the front end and SQLite as the database.
Freelance Excel VBA/Macro Developer
ExxonMobil (via Toptal)
- Analyzed, modified, designed, and developed macros, Events, pivots, add-ins, Userforms, and VBA programs in an existing EMPNG spreadsheet.
- Debugged existing macros/VBA and new logic into EMPNG spreadsheets.
- Debugged the conditional formatting and formula issues present in the spreadsheet.
- Collaborated with the customers to purge all of the spreadsheet's inappropriate data to improve the performance/response time.
- Analyzed the workflow of the EMPNG spreadsheet and trained the customers on the best practices to prevent any future data issues with the spreadsheet.
- Created new template spreadsheets for new businesses.
- Trained the customers in Excel and the spreadsheet functions for better performance and any further data issues.
- Worked on complex Excel features like pivot tables, HLookup, VLookup, formula, formatting, and more.
- Created a read and write module to and from the web, using Access.
Freelance Front-end and Database Developer
Sitka Technology Group (via Toptal)
- Migrated the SQL Server 2016 database objects to MS Access.
- Transferred all ASP.NET Web Forms to MS Access Forms.
- Moved all of the ASP.NET reports to MS Access reports.
- Wrote all of the macros and VBA programs to handle all the logic for the applications.
- Performed comprehensive end-to-end testing of all the forms and reports for the deployment.
- Worked on the Oracle 10g/PostgreSQL to MS SQL Server 2012 migration project.
- Converted all of the Oracle PL/SQL stored procedures, stored functions, packages, tables, and indexes into a Microsoft SQL Server (T-SQL) objects by using MS SQL Server Migration Agent and line to line conversion.
- Translated all of the Unix shell scripts scheduled in Cron to Batch scripts and PowerShell and scheduled Windows Scheduler.
- Migrated a central workforce database for 65,000 employees without any post-release issues successfully.
- Worked on SQL tuning and database tuning post-release, specifically on databases, Oracle, and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Designed and developed procedures, applications, and reports in SSMS, SSRS, SSIS, Crystal Reports, and SSMA tools.
- Performed all administrative tasks of MS SQL DBA like backup, restore, indexing, and mirroring using the MS SQL Server Management Studio.
- Designed, delivered, maintained, and supported scalable and highly available database solutions.
Cognizant Technology Solutions
- Worked on a supply chain data integration project. Developed PL/SQL programs, Unix Shell Scripts, and scheduled jobs in Cron for generation and transmission of Oracle Apps data to an EDW Server.
- Developed code using the utl_file package to create files in the Unix directories for the apps table data.
- Created scripts in Unix shell scripts to enable data transmission from the Oracle server to an enterprise data warehousing server using SFTP and ConnectDirect.
- Scheduled the file creation and transmission (to EDW) in Cron scheduler for a daily transmission.
- Worked on a Java to Oracle PL/SQL migration project for a legal customer.
- Implemented all the business logic in Oracle PL/SQL from the Java scripts.
- Implemented best practices on incident, problem, and change management.
- Led the project independently with minimal guidance.
- Designed and developed complex SQL, views, tables, materialized views, indexes, collections, stored procedures, stored functions, packages, triggers, backups, and restorations.
- Worked on analytical functions, AWR Reports, TKPROF, plan table, Statspack, and hints.
Larsen & Toubro InfoTech Limited
- Maintained and supported a payroll and provident fund (PF) system of a manufacturing customer.
- Built custom applications using Oracle Developer/2000 Forms for complex requirements of the payroll, PF, HR, and bonus processes.
- Designed custom reports using Oracle Developer/2000 Reports for complex reports like payroll, income tax, PF, bonus, and HR reports.
- Conducted administrative (DBA) tasks like export backup and reinstatement of old backups during maintenance work.
- Worked as an offshore developer for an electrical component manufacturing customer.
- Developed and supported applications in Oracle Forms 9i, Reports 9i, Unix Shell Scripts, and PowerShell.
- Implemented database backup, recovery strategies, etc.
- Worked closely with the vendors, external consultants, application support teams, technical support teams, and team members.
- Designed and developed complex SQL, views, tables, materialized views, indexes, collections, stored procedures, stored functions, packages, triggers, backups, and restores.
- Worked on analytical functions, AWR reports, TKPROF, plan tables, Statspack, and hints.
- Maintained and provided application support for a student loan consolidation project.
- Created and supported calling agent applications for dialing and dispatching calls using Windows programming.
- Wrote scripts to upload customer data to the dialer to dial calls to the fetched customers and direct them to the calling agents available.
- Developed end-of-day sales, week sales, and monthly sales reports for the clients.
- Customized VBA, SQL Server, macros, and Excel applications.
EMPNG Spreadsheet Application | Exxon Mobil (via Toptal)
• Debugged existing macros/VBA and new logic into EMPNG spreadsheets.
• Debugged the conditional formatting and formula issues present in the spreadsheet.
• Worked closely with the customers to purge all of the inappropriate data from the spreadsheet to improvise the performance/response time.
• Analyzed the workflow of the EMPNG spreadsheet and trained the customers on the best practices to prevent any future data issues with the spreadsheet.
• Created new template spreadsheets for new businesses.
• Trained the customers in both Excel and the spreadsheet functions for better performance and any further data issues.
• Worked on sophisticated Excel features like pivot tables, HLookups, VLookups, formula, formatting, and more.
Technologies: Office 365, MS Excel, VBA, Macros
Oracle/MySQL to MS SQL Server Migration (via IGATE)
• Converted the Oracle/MySQL program blocks to SQL Server programs using MS SQL Server Migration Assistant 2012.
• Worked on a line-by-line conversion of Oracle program blocks to MS SQL programs when the SSMA fails to convert.
• Trained a team of developers on SQL Server and PL/SQL.
Designed WIM interfaces for various applications in Kronos WFC.
• Designed and developed batch scripts for all the existing shell scripts and scheduled the new jobs in Windows Scheduler.
• Performed unit testing, integration testing, and performance testing on the MS SQL programs.
• Completed the Oracle/MySQL to MS SQL migration for 65,000 employees without any delays and any post-release issues.
• Created new batch scripts to create files and schedule pay file creation in the MS SQL Server.
• Designed applications using SSIS and SSRS.
• Migrated large datasets using Pentaho ETL. Created APIs using Pentaho.
• Trained in Dell Boomi iPaaS Integration.
New Horizons Release 2 | New Horizons Release 4 | Lexis Nexis Migration Project (via Cognizant)
• Extensively used an Oracle-supplied package UTL_FILE to generate data files in the Unix Server.
• Created directories in databases and used Unix to write data files.
• Wrote shell scripts to run the Oracle programs to create files and transfer to EDW servers.
• Extensively used ConnectDirect feature to establish communication to EDW servers for file transfers.
• Scheduled the entire process in AppWorx scheduler.
• Performed unit, integration, and system testing.
• Prepared MD70 (technical design), did a walkthrough of MD70 and implemented a code review for the RICE components.
• Worked on post-release support activities and change requests.
• Gathered the requirements from clients to implement all the Java code to Oracle packages of the existing system and also designed new features.
• Extensively used types, tab-types, and collection features in Oracle for better performance.
• Led a team of four developers.
• Conducted requirements gathering, status reporting, creating various metrics, and project deliverables.
• Worked on day-to-day customer web-team tickets.
• Computed the statistics features.
• Extensively worked on the performance tuning, query optimization, explanation plan, TKProf, the automatic workload repository (AWR), indexes, and Dynamic SQL.
L&T Valves Payroll, HR Project
• Developed new interfaces for payroll, income tax, provident fund, and bonus.
• Improvised and tuned the performance of the existing database system.
• Designed new forms for human resources, payroll, and bonus modules.
• Designed new reports (RDF) for Form-B, Form-C, Form-16, Form-3, annual returns, and PF/EPS reports.
• Worked directly with the customer on requirements gathering and tickets.
• Coordinated all end-user meetings and training sessions.
• Performed unit, integration, and system testing.
• Supported the third-party tool Skorydov for annual returns filing.
• Gained extensive experience in relational database administration, design, development, and implementation using Oracle Developer/2000, PL/SQL, ASP, ASP.NET, and other Oracle tools and utilities.
Global Shared Data Application of Delphi Packard Electric System.
• Created new forms and reports applications based on customer requests.
• Developed extensively on request for change (RFC) for change management meetings.
• Worked on the day-to-day resolution of customer tickets and questions.
• Implemented change initiations and change approvals and delivered products to staging and production systems.
• Prepared change review documents for the change review meetings with the change manager/coordinator.
• Followed GAD QMS (global application delivery and quality management system) quality procedures.
• Designed and developed applications in Oracle Developer Forms 9i, Oracle Developer Reports 9i, Oracle 10g database, Unix Shell Scripting, and Cron scheduling.
Confluence Application | Sitka Technology Group (via Toptal)
• Transferred all of the ASP.NET web forms to MS Access Forms.
• Handled the migration from ASP.NET Reports to MS Access Reports.
• Wrote all of the macros and VBA programs to handle all the logic for the applications.
• Performed comprehensive end-to-end testing of all the forms and reports for the deployment.
Oracle, Unix, Visual Studio 2017, Linux
Oracle PL/SQL, PL/SQL Developer, PL/SQL, SQL Server 2016, Oracle RDS, Oracle SQL, Oracle SQL Developer, Oracle RDBMS, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, SQL Server DBA, Oracle DBA, PostgreSQL, Dell Boomi, SQL Server 2000, Oracle Rdb, SQL Server 2012, SQLite
PL/SQL Tuning, Oracle Forms & Reports, Unix Shell Scripting, Batch Scripting, Applications, Forms, Reports, Macros, Office 365, SAP Business Intelligence (BI), SAP Business Warehouse (BW), Shell Scripting, Computer Science, UNIX Utilities, Ajax
ASP.NET, ASP.NET Core MVC, Windows PowerShell, Angular
Excel 2016, Microsoft Access, Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle), Cron, Kronos, Visual Studio, Microsoft Excel, Autosys
Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Computer Science
Anna University - Chennai, India
Oracle PL/SQL Certified Associate OCA