Nathan is a web developer with 5+ years of experience as a senior front-end engineer at Motorola Solutions. While he specializes in TypeScript, Sass, and HTML, his full-stack experience includes React and Angular on the front end, Node.js and Express.js on the back end, MongoDB, AWS and Azure cloud hosting, and Nginx server configuration. Nathan's industry experience is backed by a bachelor's degree in computer science.
ExperienceFront-end - 8 yearsReact - 6 yearsTypeScript - 5 yearsDesign Systems - 5 yearsAngular - 5 yearsThree.js - 2 yearsComputer Vision - 2 yearsNon-fungible Tokens (NFT) - 1 year
Amazon Web Services (AWS), React, TypeScript, Node.js
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is an end-to-end design system, including an internal documentation site and a DevOps pipeline to deploy and maintain it.
Lead Design System Engineer
- Developed a design system used globally across Motorola software, including ports across Angular, React, Svelte, and native web components. Worked closely with UX designers to implement these components from scratch, from mockups to production code.
- Traveled to global company locations in Poland, India, and across the United States to present workshops on using and contributing to the design system.
- Handled ongoing maintenance and support of the design system, overseeing 100,000+ downloads over several years.
- Led bi-weekly Agile sprint meetings, standups, retrospectives, and backlog grooming sessions with the front-end team of three developers.
- Interviewed, onboarded, and mentored three new hires and two interns on the design system team.
- Created an Nginx gateway server acting as a reverse proxy to internal microservices for cybersecurity. The gateway instance protects entry to individual servers, so they don't need to be exposed to the public network.
- Monitored open-source contributions from developers across the company, including features, bug fixes, and pull requests.
- Moderated an internal discussion board of 350+ front-end developers using the library we built and sharing knowledge of the latest front-end techniques and best practices.
- Audited the Motorola design system for security vulnerabilities, achieving an npm audit report with zero critical or major vulnerabilities.
- Attended design reviews of new front-end components to be added to the library and helped translate UX requirements to code implementation by the development team.
Software Engineering Intern
- Designed the user interface and flow for an Android app to solve the problem of "role assignment" in public safety teams (police, firefighters, and EMS workers).
- Coded the Android app in Java, with full functionality.
- Implemented machine learning at the edge (running on a mobile phone, with no cloud server connectivity needed), using a Java Neural Network framework called Encog. The network predicted the "fit" of each team member to each different job.
- Using the resulting job fitness output from the neural network to solve a linear sum assignment problem. We used the Hungarian algorithm, also known as the Kuhn-Munkres algorithm, the fastest known solver which runs in O(n^3) time.
- Traveled from Schaumburg, IL to downtown Chicago to present the finished app to a team of executives at the company -- the success of this presentation resulted in a subsequent job offer at the end of the summer.
- Filed a patent application as the primary inventor for the method developed over the summer, entitled "A Method for Predictive Role Assignment to Maximize the Likelihood of Group Success." A patent is currently pending as of 2022.
University of Arizona
- Redesigned and created the newest version of the "Arizona Mobile" app—the official Android app for the University of Arizona campus, including services such as maps, news, and class schedules. The app is available for download in Google Play.
- Developed the app using Java and Android Studio and used Git branching for merging and version control.
- Collaborated with graphic designers to design app user interfaces.
Teaching Assistant | Assembly Language and Computer Architecture
University of Arizona
- Served as a teaching assistant for a course about x64 assembly programming and fundamental hardware architecture.
- Graded homework and exams, providing feedback to students about their mistakes.
- Held regular office hours and tutored students who needed extra help in the difficult course.
- Answered questions via email and moderated an online forum for the class.
Nft Game Startup -- React Frontend and Animations "Zeedz"https://zeedz.io/
The front end connected to the team's existing back end, including a custom GraphQL API, AWS Cognito, integration with the Flow blockchain via the Flow Client Library, distributed file hosting with Pinata, and a few other services.
Teamwork was fully remote over Google Hangouts, mostly with Germany and the UK collaborators.
Realtime Computer Vision for Twitch Livestreams, Rust App and React/Next.js Website "Hypetrigger"https://hypetrigger.io/
In addition to the core engine, I built a native Windows front-end in a relatively new framework called Tauri, similar to Electron, but integrates with Rust and uses the system WebView instead of bundling an instance of Chrome. The front-end is also built using Solid.js, a framework similar to React but focused more on high-performance and well-suited for this performance-heavy video processing and machine learning application.
Finally, I built a website to distribute and market this tool. It can be viewed at Hypetrigger.io. I built it using Next.js, and it is 100% statically generated. The content is created from JSON configuration files and a third-party REST API.
3D Game in The Browser with Three.Js and React: "Algernon"https://excalo.itch.io/algernon
Using Google Drive as A CMS -- Article Published on CSS Tricks, with A Github and NPM Packagehttps://css-tricks.com/using-google-drive-as-a-cms/
Deep Neural Network for Lux AI Game Programming Competition (Imitation Learning)https://www.kaggle.com/c/lux-ai-2021/leaderboard
Virtual Reality Terrain Mapping and GIS Data Vis in Unity
2D Physics Game with PixiJS and Canvas: "Gem Drop"https://www.kongregate.com/games/excalo/gem-drop
Websocket Networking for Multiplayer Strategy Game: "Nodescape"https://github.com/nathanbabcock/nodescape
Open Street Map Radio Coverage Simulator
Developed internally for Motorola Solutions – the specific algorithm and source code are proprietary.
Stock Market Technical Analysishttps://github.com/nathanbabcock/stockbot
React Router Tutorial: Redirect Like a Pro
SolidJS vs. React: The Go-to Guide
Angular, MUI (Material UI), Electron, Express.js, PixiJS, OAuth 2, Android SDK, Svelte, Angular Material, Unity, YARN, Next.js
Node.js, React, Three.js, WebRTC, Google Drive API, WebGL, REST APIs, TensorFlow, PyTorch, Stripe, Stripe API, Auth0 API, Twitch API, Rollup.js, DirectShow, Google Sheets API, FFmpeg
Git, GitHub, Open Broadcaster Studio (OBS), Angular CLI, NPM, NGINX, Figma, Sketch, Jira, Android Studio, Canvas, Google Analytics, Slack, Blender, Auth0, GitLab, Canvas 2D, GIS, Webpack, Rollup, Stencil.js, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Flow, Adobe Experience Design (XD), Notion, Create React App, Amazon Cognito
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Docker, Azure, Android, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Blockchain
Software Development, Web Components, Design Systems, Front-end, Agile Sprints, Full-stack, User Interface (UI), Private NPM Modules, WCAG 2, WebSockets, Google Drive, OAuth, HTTPS, Game Physics, Backlog Grooming, Mobile App UI, Server Architecture, Web App Development, Content Management Systems (CMS), 3D Games, 2D Games, Back-end, CI/CD Pipelines, Technical Writing, Architecture, Web Scraping, User Experience (UX), Linear Optimization, Patent Applications, Web Accessibility, Scrum Master, Slack App, Deep Neural Networks, Neural Networks, Patents, Business Patents, A11Y, i18n, Internationalization, Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA), Workday, Writing & Editing, OpenStreetMap, ES6 Promises, GeoJSON, Virtual Reality (VR), Twitch, APIs, ESLint, Lint, OCR, Tesseract, Non-fungible Tokens (NFT), Computer Vision, Object Recognition, SSG, Solid.js
Agile, UI Design, Web Architecture, DevOps, Mobile App Design, Scrum, REST, Microservices
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
University of Arizona - Tucson, AZ