Verified Expert in Engineering
Nathan has built web and mobile applications that over 1,200 businesses rely on daily. He's capable, a quick learner, and gets it done. Nathan's worked in both legacy and new application development environments for business and consumer markets. Nathan enjoys the challenge of creating, building, and fixing unique applications that make a difference.
MUI (Material UI), React Native, React, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, C#.NET, Go, Linux, MacOS
The most amazing...
...project I've developed was an insurance claim management system that processes ~1,500 claims per day.
Senior Full-stack Developer
- Designed and developed an automated quoting system for a railing manufacturer. Users draw the outline of their deck and the quoting system computes which parts are required and how to cut specific parts to fit.
- Developed a claims management system for an insurance company that handles over 1,500 claims per day.
- Built a schedule management and project data collection system for a trucking company. This included a real-time web interface and an offline-enabled mobile app. Performed client interviews to refine the product.
- Maintained a desktop application that managed a water sensor device. This included adding new device support for a series of serial-based devices.
Ladder Software, Inc.
- Built features and fixed bugs for a daycare-management and parent-communication application.
- Created Stripe and Vantiv payment integration to allow our customers to accept payments through our software. Vantiv was an especially difficult provider to integrate with.
- Worked with a team to build a Cordova-based mobile app that could do basic management functions.
- Managed DevOps for the company, served as the only on-call person for the years I worked there, and setup CloudWatch and DataDog monitoring.
- Solved performance bottlenecks caused by customer growth by tuning SQL queries and indexes and introducing Redis caching.
Junior Full-stack Developer
PF Software Services
- Developed a web-based freight management application based on an existing Access database.
- Collaborated with the manager to update applications so that they met the changing customer requirements.
- Created and validated data migrations to allow the application switchover to happen over a weekend.
Insurance Claim Management Application
I managed three developers working in several time zones while collaborating with a business partner who did the requirements gathering. Midway through development, the system was handling ~1,500 claims per day. I spent about 75% of my time working on database performance and implementing new features. I spent about 25% of my time managing requirements, timelines, the team, and interacting with my business counterparts.
We released features weekly and dealt with requirements that changed very frequently.
Trucking Business Management Tool
First, I created a project roadmap based on the business requirements and collaborated with business counterparts to ensure all business level requirements would be met. Later, I developed a mobile app that displayed schedule information and collected project details from the truck drivers. The app also had to be effective during offline mode for several days.
After our initial "beta" version was rolled out, I performed more detailed user interviews to refine the product. Now I'm maintaining the application, which includes fixing small bugs and building minor features.
C#.NET, Go, Assembly
jQuery, REST APIs, React
Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis
Legacy Software, Software Design, Code Architecture, Algorithms, Networking, Hardware Drivers, Embedded Systems, Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI), Business Requirements, Customer Research
React Native, MUI (Material UI), ASP.NET MVC, Bootstrap, AngularJS
Amazon CloudWatch, Git, GitHub
Linux, Amazon EC2, Kubernetes
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Systems Engineering
Carleton University - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada