Verified Expert in Engineering
Nathan has over a decade of experience in varying engineering roles. He started at Microsoft and continued as a full-stack developer for several years before transitioning to iOS. Nathan has recently been a freelance iOS developer focused on developing augmented reality (AR) apps for various startups. Previously, he led an iOS team in building AR apps that integrated with physical toys for kids, promoted problem-solving, and developed digital literacy via 2D games and AR activities.
Slack, Git, Xcode, MacOS
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is an iOS app that pairs with a physical teddy bear, bringing it to life in augmented reality to help kids role-play as a doctor.
Freelance iOS Engineer
- Worked with multiple clients spanning various industries, primarily focused on augmented reality projects involving prototyping, research, development, and App Store launches.
- Focused on developing apps in Swift and building custom features and functionality using ARKit, SceneKit, SpriteKit, and other core Apple libraries.
- Provided high-level technical guidance and product direction for early-stage and experimental projects, particularly in the augmented reality space.
Lead iOS Engineer
- Owned multiple iOS apps developed for kids that merged physical toys and digital experiences using augmented reality. The flagship product was an AR teddy bear sold in many retail stores.
- Worked initially as the sole iOS developer, built out a small team of mobile developers, and fostered a positive engineering culture to deliver quality user experiences across a suite of apps.
- Acquired by BEGiN, whose mission was to provide children with the best educational start possible, the seedling team was brought in to enhance their subscription offering with a physical product paired with a digital AR experience.
- Launched an iOS app for BEGiN that utilized AR and machine learning to encourage kids to learn through play while interacting with the real world.
Senior Software Engineer
- Owned the core functions of SurveyMonkey Audience, a marketplace business bringing together market researchers looking for insights and survey-takers incentivized by donating to charity.
- Led multiple cross-organization initiatives, including API implementation and UX integration projects to launch survey-taking functionality in the SurveyMonkey iOS and Android apps.
- Made key contributions to an entire site redesign, with a focus on responsive design for mobile and tablet, A/B rollout plans and key metrics reporting.
- Led a rewrite of the entire customer-facing checkout flow using React and Redux.
Software Development Engineer in Test
- Played a core role in the feature design and testability of the data migration process of SharePoint Online customers to the data-center infrastructure.
- Authored automation for the migration process which saved hundreds of developer hours for the core engineering team.
- Drove and ensured the high availability of the entire SharePoint Online service to meet a 99.9% uptime SLA, while working closely with an operations team.
- Authored several monitoring-and-debugging tools to increase efficiency and reduce on-call engineer investigation time by several magnitudes.
- Helped shepherd the team’s growth from seven engineers to over 200.
AR Shoe Fitting iOS App
The initiative of this project was to improve the user foot-scanning experience, which captured photos of each foot and fed them into a back-end computer-vision model for 3D reconstruction for shoe fitting. We successfully launched a working prototype using various ARKit features, including plane detection, vision libraries for shape detection, and SceneKit to create a spray-painting experience. The prototype accurately captured and uploaded photos with corresponding camera and geometric data to reconstruct a 3D model of each foot, bundled in a user-friendly app experience.
Parker: Your Augmented Reality Bear iOS Apphttps://www.macworld.com/article/230674/parker-your-augmented-reality-bear.html
I was the lead iOS engineer on the project, managing a small team of engineers to develop and launch numerous innovative features.
The app was almost entirely built in Swift, using the latest Apple SDKs.
HOMER Play: Mail Adventure iOS Apphttps://appadvice.com/app/homer-play-mail-adventure/1453079842
I was the sole engineer on the project, working closely with designers and product managers to develop innovative experiences to get kids off the couch.
The app was built entirely in Swift, using the latest Apple SDKs, including ARKit and Core ML.
ARKit, iOS SceneKit, Core ML, Windows PowerShell
Git, Xcode, Jira, Slack
iOS, Firebase, MacOS, WatchOS
Augmented Reality (AR)
Firebase iOS SDK, SpriteKit, React
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
University of Toronto - Toronto, Canada