Verified Expert in Engineering
Neil is an experienced data engineer focused on helping businesses make the most of their data by making informed decisions. He specializes in ETL processes, especially the transformation step that helps others focus on what matters in their work.
Apache Airflow, Python, SQL, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Linux
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is a custom data pipeline that transforms 50+ TB of data into analytics-first tables that drive company-wide reporting and analysis.
Data Engineering Manager
- Led the data pipeline and modeling team at Mailchimp, providing ETL services and integrations to teams across the organization.
- Led a team of 16 engineers, working across 10+ initiatives. Built 6-month and 1-year road maps to help plan near and mid-term technical strategy.
- Managed partnerships and relationships with business units across Mailchimp and parent company Intuit to ensure smooth and efficient work.
- Managed and governed our Looker instance with 1,400+ users.
Senior Data Software Engineer
- Designed and built in-house BI transformation pipelines in Airflow and Google Dataflow to surface analytics-focused tables in BigQuery for our analysts, data scientists, and strategy teams to derive insights from.
- Led and managed the implementation of Looker as our BI platform and continued to lead Looker engineering and modeling work, helping drive data-informed decision-making.
- Developed and implemented internal data security models and tools with Terraform, Google Workspace (formerly G Suite), Google Cloud Platform, and Looker APIs.
- Co-led data governance efforts to centralize analytics output and content creation for senior leadership.
- Architected dynamic Looker Studio (formerly Google Data Studio) dashboards to support multiple clients' engagement reporting.
- Developed BigQuery ETL pipelines to enable product reporting for new product launches.
- Built dashboards on top of transformed reporting data for executive consumption.
- Managed and executed short- and long-term, data-driven research projects that informed company direction and application development.
- Built and maintained data pipelines using Apache Airflow and Beam to consolidate structured and unstructured data from self-hosted SQL and Elasticsearch instances into BigQuery for analysis and warehousing, as well as data cleansing and curation.
- Used statistical algorithms such as linear and logistic regression and decision trees to extract correlations from large datasets and drive business strategy.
- Embedded multiple product teams to establish and maintain KPIs, forecast use of and perform A/B tests on new products, and prioritize work based on perceived impact.
- Designed, executed, and ran A/B content experiments that led to a 2% increase in site engagement and a 9% increase in campaign creation.
- Managed company-wide KPIs and reporting used to drive strategic direction using a custom-built website.
Senior Digital Analyst
- Led the development of big data analytics projects to provide clients with unique insights into operating efficiencies and delivered value.
- Manipulated and aggregated client data with tools like Hive and R to feed into big data analytics platforms and BI dashboards.
- Led offshore and onshore development teams to deliver visualization dashboards and mobile applications.
SQL Scheduler and Dependency Manager
BI Data Transformation Pipeline
SQL, Python, R, YAML
Looker, BigQuery, Google Sheets, Apache Airflow, Google Analytics, Tableau, Cloud Dataflow, Apache Beam, Microsoft Power BI
Business Intelligence (BI), Agile, ETL, MEAN Stack
Linux, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Google BigQuery, BI Reporting, Data Visualization, CSV, Google Data Studio, Linear Regression, Data Analysis, Reporting, Data Engineering, Web Analytics, Dataform, Machine Learning, Data Architecture, Paid Advertising, Business Services
PostgreSQL, MySQL, DB, Elasticsearch, Google Cloud
Post Baccalaureate Degree in Computer Science
University of Florida - Gainesville, FL
Bachelor's Degree in Biological Engineering
University of Florida - Gainesville, FL
MicroMasters in Statistics and Data Science
MITx on edX
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring