Contract Technical Director2017 - 2020Comparison Expert
Technologies: Apache, PHP, NPM, Webpack, TypeScript, Redux-saga, React
- Built a single-page web application with React/Redux-saga that allows users to compare the quality of insurance policies.
- Implemented a bespoke Webpack installation that compiles SCSS to CSS, React/ES6 to ES5 JS—minified all to CSS and TypeScript.
- Supported the back-end team with API assistance when required.
- Worked with the designer to ensure pixel-perfect front-end build was achieved.
- Discussed tasks with all members of the team and came up with technical solutions that were both practical and scalable.
- Served as the first point-of-contact for all technical issues, and used my command-line experience to set up various environments.
- Integrated Buddy Works continuous integration tool to allow for simple code deployment.
- Implemented GitFlow to make for more readable branch names and eliminate errors with testing, debugging, and releasing.
Contract Lead Developer2015 - 2017River Island
- Built, as part of the MVT (multi-variance testing) team, a number of MVT/A&B testing features. We used Maxymiser to correlate and measure the success/conversion of new features into additional sign-ups and sales. Winning variations were then built into the core website.
- Worked through tasks using Jira as well as communicating directly with project managers, designers, back-end developers and stakeholders to that ensure all work is done correctly and within scope.
- Helped to delegate workflow to junior and mid-level developers as well as to provide support and advice where needed.
Contract Lead Developer2014 - 2015Gumtree (eBay Classifieds Group UK)
- Rebuilt the entire front-end from scratch. This meant dropping the entire front-end code-base and researching the technologies required for the new build. The website was to be 100% responsive which meant that each feature had multiple considerations. The device it was being viewed on would have a huge bearing on how the feature would operate and behave.
- Worked with the Java back-end developers to ensure that specified data was displayed in the correct format.
- Wrote unit tests with Jasmine to ensure the validity of the front-end code.
- Ensured that all code was version-controlled using Git and uploaded to Gumtree's private repository. New features were developed in stand-alone feature branches until fully tested and bug-fixed. At this point, the code is then merged into the master branch for additional testing before release.
- Used Jenkins as our continuous integration tool for the code that is built on the server, as well as ensuring that all the back-end and front-end unit tests ran so that the full functionality of the website was maintained.
- Kept the documentation up-to-date to allow other developers to work on any of the components.
Senior PHP and Front-end Developer2011 - 2013Living Group
- Managed servers for multiple websites for hedge funds. All servers used Plesk and the version control at the time was SVN. Towards the end of my placement there, the company was beginning to transition projects over to Git.
- Used Photoshop to cut and slice PSDs from the designers for the purpose of building them into HTML5.
- Used the terminal for command lines for SSH into the servers.
PHP and Front-end Developer2010 - 2011Precedent
Technologies: Git, CSS3, HTML5, PHP
- Worked with graphic and digital designers to convert Photoshop PSDs into fully functional websites.
- Worked with MySQL Workbench to configure relational databases for the PHP back end.
- Tracked bugs using Jira.
PHP Developer2008 - 2010Propeller Communications
- Developed and maintained a PHP codebase for multiple eCommerce websites. Wrote PHP classes for basket and checkout. Implemented SagePay payment API, as well as tested thoroughly to ensure that all applications go through successfully or correctly fallback to user-friendly error-messaging.
- Worked directly with the front-end team to establish requirements and ensured that the correct data was retrieved from the database and passed on in the correct format.
- Maintained and configured websites using MySQL Workbench. Designed and created the relationships between tables in the database as well as writing and maintaining PHP classes to communicate with the database.
- Worked directly with account managers and clients to ensure that all functionality worked as expected and that all requirements were fulfilled.
- Discussed with other developers about new and innovative methods for improving our code and workflow; as well as providing feedback to management on potential new technology.