Verified Expert in Engineering
Distributed Systems Developer
Nicholas worked in fintech for the past three years at a quant trading firm where he built full-stack applications related to headline/news trading, signal generation, and data analysis. He works on things like a large scale web scraper and low-latency data feeds. He routinely builds server apps, APIs, web UIs, and everything in between (databases, messaging, etc.).
Git, Jupyter, CODE, Visual Studio, MacOS
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is a mobile jukebox app that lets users play music on a jukebox I built running on Raspberry Pi connected to a university's PA system.
- Developed a full-stack application for luxury/private chef services including a front end where customers can browse and book chef experiences (like Airbnb) along with a dashboard for admins and chefs to manage their bookings and current offerings.
- Developed a full-stack application for a large soccer academy for managing their programs/camps and tracking player statistics, including an admin dashboard and a customer portal for parents to view their child's progress and register for new camps.
- Developed a curated book search engine built on Elasticsearch along with a UI where users can search for new book recommendations.
- Developed a tipping platform for restaurants to distribute tips among their back-of-house staff.
Maybe Finance, Inc
- Designed and developed backend API and database schema for wealth management application that connects to users' banks and syncs their account balance / transaction history.
- Implemented a background job system responsible for continuously syncing and aggregating users' financial data via webhooks from third-party services like Plaid.
- Designed queries to compute various financial insights and generate time-series data sets to provide the UI with necessary data for rendering graphs/charts.
- Designed and developed multiple iterations of an iOS health and fitness app.
- Developed and deployed various APIs on AWS Lambda, supporting an API subscription key system for different access tiers.
- Created a custom back-end API for mobile apps using ASP.NET running on AWS EC2 instances backed by DynamoDB.
- Built a custom login/registration web app using the IdentityServer framework that integrated with Stripe payments to allow users to enroll in a subscription-based mobile app.
- Created a cross-platform health and fitness mobile app using the Flutter framework integrating with Firebase.
Susquehanna International Group
- Contributed as part of the strategic options trading tech team focused on news-related trading software. Worked on numerous full-stack applications used by research analysts and traders as well as low-latency “headless” trading-related apps.
- Served as the lead developer/designer of a distributed real-time web scraper performing over 2 million scrapes/day. Developed a front-end admin UI (website) for managing and monitoring thousands of scrapes.
- Designed and developed next-gen low-latency software used to parse news and produce trading signals.
- Developed software for research analysts and traders to create custom trading signals based on breaking news stories. Allowed users to discover new signals (using Elasticsearch), backtest potential signals, and view/edit live signals.
- Developed a real-time monitoring/alerting system using data analysis tools to detect abnormalities in automated trading activity.
- Developed web UI for viewing, managing, and testing Microsoft Service Bus message queues.
- Built an Excel add-in (C#) used for generating various business reports.
- Prototyped a business reporting dashboard using Kendo UI.
The jukebox was a custom music streaming server I built running on Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi would be connected to a sound system (since that's where the music plays from), and users would just have to be on the same WiFi network in order to see/connect to the jukebox (like Chromecast). The jukebox server was connected to Spotify's API, allowing full access to their catalog of music.
I ended up testing a pilot for my university's student center.
I designed and developed the entire app using Flutter, Firebase, and AWS Lambda with API Gateway. Currently, there are around 500 users on the platform.
DFS Data Scraper
In order to collect and aggregate data for the model, I developed a web scraper using Puppeteer (a headless browser) to scrape numerous historical datasets from popular sports data sources. Most sites do not have APIs, so I had to write custom Puppeteer scripts that could deal with things like logging in, filling out forms, and clicking buttons. I was able to successfully scrape data for 4 major sports across 3 different sites.
Next.js, .NET Core, ASP.NET Core, ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Web API, .NET, MUI (Material UI), Flask, Express.js, Flutter, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Laravel, Tailwind CSS, CODE, Kendo UI
Stripe, React, Puppeteer, Node.js, REST APIs, Pandas, NumPy
JSX, Git, Prisma, React Apollo, Auth0, Visual Studio, Jupyter, NGINX, AWS Fargate
Back-end Architecture, Agile Software Development, Clean Architecture, Database Design
Back-end, Web Scraping, Data Scraping, Back-end Development, Front-end, User Experience (UX), User Interface (UI), Serverless, Distributed Systems, Data Analysis, Trading Applications, Low-latency Software, APIs, Apollo, Apollo Server, Material Design, SaaS, Fintech, Oracle Service Bus (OSB), Amazon API Gateway, Options Trading, TradingView
iOS, Linux, Docker, Firebase, Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS Lambda, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Azure, MacOS, Android, Apache Kafka, Kubernetes, Heroku, Amazon EC2, Raspberry Pi
Elasticsearch, MongoDB, SQLite, PostgreSQL, NoSQL, Amazon DynamoDB, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Redis
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
Villanova University - Pennsylvania