Verified Expert in Engineering
Nick is a self-taught full-stack developer with years of experience in leading engineering teams and developing software for startups. His talents and passions have always aligned with the fast-paced do-it-yourself mindset of early startup culture. His most recent success includes onboarding as a founding engineer and eventually leading the company to an M&A exit as a director of engineering.
The most amazing...
...thing I've built from the ground up is a conversational intelligence platform, utilizing my financial background and engineering prowess.
Director of Engineering
- Directed architecture and development decisions for a team of engineers, which successfully met business needs for functionality, timeline, and performance.
- Orchestrated efficient large-scale software deployments, including machine learning models, a secured REST API, and a React-based client interface.
- Architected custom blue/green deployment resources that allowed for consistent availability to all users during deployments with zero downtime.
Senior Back-end Engineer
- Developed a production REST API using Django, which actively serviced three standalone applications with over 20,000 users and a growing number of third-party integrations.
- Led a team of five engineers as the architectural lead, directing design decisions and implementation strategies that enabled our services to scale successfully with user growth.
- Integrated DevOps resources to increase efficiency and deployment stability, including blue/green architecture and containerization.
- Architected a new strategy for web scraping that diversified the server workload, reducing server costs by up to 75% and increasing runtime efficiency by as much as 50% per scraper.
- Developed intelligent scraping tools for Amazon, Walmart, Macy's, and others capable of automatically and remotely gathering, cleansing, and uploading fresh data daily.
- Created the infrastructure and tools necessary for a lean startup to expand and grow easily into the future, including an established CI Git workflow and documentation of design protocols.
- Collaborated with product and design teams to develop rich software that enabled venture capitalists and corporations to manage their complex web of assets, leading to the growth and success of Carta as a software solution for asset management.
- Helped design and implement a first-of-its-kind scenario modeling service that accurately projected payouts to investors given a corporation’s pre-money valuation, total investment, and post-money option pool.
- Strategized with business development and engineering teams, from inception to execution, to provide the most valuable product to end consumers.
- Developed an app for Shopify stores to display real-time purchases by customers and anyone visiting the site, driving revenue growth.
- Implemented a NoSQL database and REST API to service the application, granting it real-time performance and the ability to scale easily.
- Designed and implemented sleek UI/UX that was enticing to both users and app admins.
I implemented the majority of systems, as well as led a team of engineers that were responsible for the entirety of the application. Systems included a Node.js back-end API, React front end with state management, and machine learning model deployment into AWS resources using Docker and Lambda.
I created a REST API to service all three mobile applications currently used by over 20,000 users. My role included leading a team of back-end engineers towards successfully implementing all of our integrations and implementing our multi-tenant architecture, which included complex permission schemes that protected end-user health data.
Hype App | Shopify Applicationhttps://apps.shopify.com/hype-1
I built out custom components and a unique admin interface that allows store owners to visually see our application's impact on sales for their store.
Django, Express.js, Redux, Next.js, Jest
React, Node.js, jQuery, REST APIs, API Development, Python API, Redux-Saga, Shopify API
Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Git
Back-end Architecture, REST, Application Architecture, Agile, DevOps
AWS Lambda, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon EC2, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Linux, Shopify, Azure
PostgreSQL, Databases, MySQL, MongoDB
Web Scraping, Web Development, Full-stack, Deployment, APIs, Amazon RDS, Back-end, CI/CD Pipelines, Team Leadership, Software Architecture, Architecture, Cloud Architecture, Front-end, Leadership, Estimations, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Full-stack Development, Authentication, Scraping, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Technical Leadership, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Machine Learning
Bachelor's Degree in Finance
University of Washington - Seattle, WA, USA
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring