Engineering Consultant2020 - 2021Deepblocks
Technologies: GIS, AWS, Docker, React, Redux, TypeScript, Node.js
- Delivered several critical GIS and mapping capabilities to the Deepblocks platform.
- Trained junior developers in latest React and Redux development.
- Provided guidance and expertise on cloud infrastructure strategy.
Lead Engineer2018 - 2019Deepblocks
Technologies: GIS, Mapbox, Firebase, Redux, React, TypeScript, Node.js
- Owned the design and architecture of the entire software stack (React, Redux, TypeScript, Node.js).
- Managed daily engineering operations, including project planning, software design, code review and approval, integration and acceptance testing, deployments, training, and mentorship.
- Collaborated with the engineering team to quickly break down complicated problems, explore the available solutions, and develop action plans.
- Communicated technical risk to the CEO in order to reach a consensus on engineering strategy decisions.
- Wrote and maintained comprehensive engineering guidelines and technical documentation.
- Maintained a lean engineering operation with low-cost tools and services.
Chief Technical Officer (CTO)2017 - 2018Deepblocks
- Took over responsibility for all engineering from outgoing technical leadership.
- Built an MVP that garnered a 50% boost in seed funding from investors.
- Led screening, interviewing, and hiring decisions to build a small, elite engineering team.
- Established a culture of high technical standards and security-first thinking throughout the company.
- Sought and identified a qualified successor for the executive role to focus on operations and coding.
Lead Engineer2016 - 2017Kinspire
Technologies: PostgreSQL, Bootstrap, Ruby on Rails 5
- Partnered on a startup, leading engineering for a platform serving immigrants to the US.
- Delivered a job-matching platform that matched users across six dimensions.
- Built and managed the promotional website.
Technical Editor2014 - 2016Toptal
Technologies: Google Docs, Skype
- Authored popular articles about fundamentals of machine learning and mobile robotics control theory.
- Took over all content responsibilities from the outgoing editor, including author sourcing, topic brainstorming and curation, draft reviews and guidance, copy editing, technical illustration direction, SEO configuration, and publication.
- Published dozens of lucid, technically precise, and evergreen articles on a wide range of topics, including fluid dynamics simulation, Linux namespace isolation, video game physics, and advanced programming design patterns.
- Identified talented authors to join the editing team.
- Increased publication output by four times and website traffic by ten times.
Software Engineer2011 - 2013PVPower
- Built and shipped a home solar power modeling and optimization tool using Ruby on Rails.
- Corresponded with Argonne National Laboratory scientists to develop a high-fidelity solar insolation model.
- Contributed to business and technical strategy decisions.
- Followed strict test-driven development techniques using RSpec and Cucumber to build a comprehensive test suite.
- Participated in complex design and architecture decisions daily.
Software Development Intern2010 - 2011Pathfinder Software
Technologies: Agile Software Development, Test-driven Development (TDD), Haml, CSS, HTML, RSpec, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
- Implemented finished design mockups in HTML/CSS, including slicing and coding.
- Learned the ins and outs of Ruby on Rails.
- Practiced state-of-the-art lean web development, including small teams, development sprints, test-driven development, and other agile development methods.
Software Tester2010 - 2010TZ, Inc.
Technologies: Networks, Embedded Systems
- Implemented scientific testing of control software for remotely-controlled storage locks.
- Encountered some common challenges of embedded systems, such as correctly sensing and controlling the physical state of large banks of electromechanical locks via software.