Verified Expert in Engineering
Big Data Developer
Nicholas is an efficient machine learning engineer and data scientist with experience in data curation, classical machine learning algorithms, and statistical modeling. Starting an engagement, he searches for data and works with the customer on what to build. Once an algorithm and intuition show the most crucial areas, Nicholas shifts gears to get the "juice" out of that data before testing and deploying models in a client's infrastructure, delivering exceptional and detail-oriented work.
Vim Text Editor, Jupyter, Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Pandas, NumPy, PyTorch, TensorFlow
The most amazing...
...project I've designed and built is a system for the startup Node.io that trains deep learning models for non-technical customers.
Software Engineer | Machine Learning
- Performed relevant work in a horizontal machine-learning team.
- Collaborated with various stakeholders in different organizations from my own.
- Built software which resulted essential to the company.
Senior Machine Learning Engineer
KUNGFU.AI Advanced Data Science Services
- Characterized behavior of an unsupervised learning model meant for government use and implemented code and tests for its deployment.
- Developed project plan and tracked using Asana with agile principles.
- Delivered regular status updates to clients and facilitated requirements discussions.
Deep Learning Engineer (Hybrid Data Scientist and Data Engineer)
- Gave Node.io its first real AI capabilities--built a predictive modeling and analytics stack from the ground up with scalable AWS (ECS, EC2, Docker) and ML (feature engineering, RNNs, DNNs, and classifiers using PyTorch, XGBoost, Pandas) tools.
- Improved Node's capabilities with new models and new features (e.g., LSTM/GRU sequence models, denoising autoencoder models for data enhancement and neural embeddings).
- Consulted on coworker projects and acted as resident research-paper-reader.
Research Assistant/Research Engineer
- Expanded the market for Oracle's big data analytics offering by providing cutting-edge fraud detection capabilities.
- Expanded Oracle PGX's analytics market share by building a linearly-scalable asynchronous query engine for its distributed execution mode (see GRADES17 paper).
- Introduced Oracle PGX graph analytics to the big data market by building its first large-scale distributed execution mode in C++ and Node.js.
- Gave fine-grained performance optimization capabilities to the Oracle Database team by writing a custom Linux kernel.
- Provided the option to run Oracle Database in a safe Java-like environment with on-demand profile-guided optimization using a dynamic C/C++ LLVM runtime.
- Demonstrated and designed a new research product for selling big-data tools; a graphical system for creating dataflow graphs.
- Demonstrated Oracle Coherence to customers for writing message-oriented middleware by building a highly scalable Java application server.
- Showcased Oracle Labs' new Truffle/GraalVM compiler technology for optimized, scalable big data operations in legacy languages by writing an HTML5 programmer's notebook in Node.js.
Embeddings for Musichttp://ambii.io
C++, Python, C, Python 3, SQL
PyTorch, NumPy, Pandas, TensorFlow
Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Big Data, Algorithms, Natural Language Processing (NLP), GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Linux Kernel, Hyperparameters
Data Science, Automation
Linux, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Amazon, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Jupyter, Vim Text Editor