Senior Software Engineer2019 - PRESENTClickFunnels
Technologies: Ruby, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby on Rails API, APIs, Back-end, Communication, RSpec, CI, Docker
- Developed a brand new Ruby on Rails API built with Grape and a series of custom gems for authentication, throttling, and logging.
- Managed and mentored small teams of junior developers. I could teach a tree how to debug a parsing exception.
- Fixed a high volume of bugs in Rails, Doorkeeper, RSpec tests, and poorly documented third-party APIs.
Co-founder2015 - PRESENT7in7 Co.
- Co-founded 7in7, a conference for experienced digital nomads.
- Built the entire tech stack, including an iOS app, web app, and Rails API. The apps provide a rich conference experience for attendees, including an activity feed and the ability to host and join meetups with other attendees.
- Created the back-end API using Ruby on Rails with serialized and gzipped JSON response data. It relies on token authentication and shared secrets for security.
Indie App Developer2011 - 2021Apps & Iced Lattes
Technologies: Dropbox, Bitbucket, Git, Swift, Objective-C, iOS
- Built apps as an indie developer for the better part of a decade. Current apps in development include a voice recorder, a Pomodoro timer, and something to mitigate anxiety.
- Focused on productivity and utility apps, including time management, text editing, and travel tipping.
- Integrated with third-party APIs like Facebook and Dropbox for account login and enhanced functionality.
- Handled all of the coding and graphic design for my apps as well. Sketch mockups are essential.
iOS Developer2018 - 2018Vouch Tutoring
Technologies: Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, Objective-C, iOS
- Built an iOS app to implement the Vouch Tutoring intro questionnaire for parents seeking prospective tutors. Vouch uses recommendations from a user's community, FB friends, and school networks to show a curated list of verified and qualified tutors.
- Ensured the app supports a variety of form inputs and performs data validation when capturing all user input.
- Submitted all questionnaire responses to Vouch's back-end API using JSON.
- Specifically designed the app for iPhone, and the iPhones X, XR, XS, and XS in particular.
Full-stack Developer2018 - 2018Rearden Metals
Technologies: Bitcoin, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, Objective-C, iOS
- Built an iOS app and a Rails back-end to track and manage cryptocurrency stored in cold storage coins. The app allows users to create accounts and add their cold storage coins. They can then track the value of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
- Integrated the app with public APIs from CoinDesk and Blockonomics to track current and historical BTC data.
- Designed the app to be paired with one or more physical cold storage coins.
- Built a coin validating web app that scans QR codes and verifies the data on new cold storage coins.
Full-stack Developer2017 - 2017Paparazz-me
Technologies: Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, Objective-C, iOS
- Built an iOS app and Rails back-end to create the equivalent of Uber for travel photography. The app pairs amateur photographers with people who want a photo taken within proximity of where they're standing.
- Used geofences to pair photographers with user requests without revealing anyone's exact location.
- Integrated with Facebook, so end users don't have to create a new account to get started. Just one tap, and users can request or take a photo.
- Ensured credits are given to photographers for taking photos and spent by users when requesting them.
Full-stack Developer2013 - 2016Mixbook
Technologies: OAuth, GitHub, Facebook, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, ActionScript 3, Flex, Adobe Flash
- Worked with Mixbook's development team to build new features, troubleshoot bugs, and upgrade the back-end of their photo album service.
- Updated logos and upgraded API integrations for services like Facebook and Google Photos.
- Troubleshot bugs and provided consistent browser support.
- Worked through the rise and fall of skeuomorphic design, participating in the UI/UX design of faux leather photo album covers.
Web Developer2015 - 2015ViralGains
- Worked with an internal team to create a VPAID ad unit capable of playing YouTube videos with custom annotations and time-based CTAs.
- Designed the ad unit to be responsive and work seamlessly between mobile and desktop views. The ad unit is a white label and fully customizable with different fonts, colors, and social sharing options.
- Implemented custom analytics to track views, clicks, and social shares. The code had to be extremely lightweight and able to load quickly in any web context.
Web Developer2014 - 2014FamilyBridge
- Created a web app to connect users in a shared video chat. Like a baby version of Zoom without the complicated bits. The purpose of FamilyBridge was to provide a persistent video chat for family members to stay connected with older relatives.
- Built the prototype on TokBox. It automatically started a session when users visited the same web page. Family members could save memories of ailing relatives who couldn't do things like start a FaceTime chat.
- Gained a deeper understanding of the state of healthcare technology and the persistent difficulties of aging in the United States.
iOS and Web Developer2014 - 2014StockUp Commerce
- Worked on StockUp's iOS app and built a corresponding web portal and search engine to access their back-end API of brands and products. StockUp is a comparison service to find the best prices for your favorite brands at nearby stores.
- Built the iOS app using Objective-C, with the views defined using storyboards.
- Spent a lot of my time fixing bugs in the iOS app, from segues to table views to handling API calls. All issues were tracked in Jira.
- Built a prototype of the web portal in PHP and then two variants of the final version using Django.
Front-end Developer2013 - 2014Cortina Productions
Technologies: ActionScript 3, Adobe Flash
- Worked on a series of interactive museum displays in fields ranging from politics to animation. The digital displays were designed to be informative, optimize accessibility, and provide a rich visual experience.
- Built a panoramic walkthrough of several rooms in the White House, providing historical context and allowing users to "discover" objects and artifacts.
- Built a visual explainer for how the artist Chuck Jones drew character animations and established comedic timing to bring characters to life.
- Incorporated a mix of custom UX design, embedded photos and videos, and hand-crafted animations into the designs.
Front-end Developer2012 - 2013Science Inc.
- Built a series of interactive video players to enable users to shop for daily deals. Think QVC plus YouTube—the first was for Gumhouse, an online social shopping network, and the second was for TopFloor, an online retailer.
- Ensured the players were highly configurable and could be embedded on websites or Facebook. When posted on Facebook, users could interact directly with the players.
- Created and used several open source libraries, all hosted publicly on GitHub, to provide UI toolkits and define MVC architectures for the players.
Front-end Developer2011 - 2012PRIMA Cinema
- Built a high-performance front-end UI for the PRIMA Cinema home media experience. PRIMA Cinema is a set-top box and service that aims to provide a movie theater experience at home.
- Used my experience with Disney to build a 3D menu of movie posters as a means of highly visual navigation. The transitions and animations I designed were high quality yet avoided being too CPU intensive.
- Learned a lot about the entertainment industry, cinema, movie theaters, and the pipeline from a film being made to being distributed.
Senior Software Engineer2011 - 2011Opera Solutions
Technologies: ActionScript 3, Flex, Adobe Flash
- Contributed as part of a medium-sized team that built a comprehensive analysis tool for a major American financial institution. The internal app allowed financial advisors to track the performance of their accounts and investments.
- Displayed every sort of dynamic graphing, from bar charts to scatter plots, across a variety of metrics.
- Worked concurrently on individual UI modules, which came together to create the full app interface.
Front-end Developer2010 - 2010Disney
Technologies: ActionScript 3, Adobe Flash
- Built a 3D animated character navigation control for the Disney.com homepage, including scrolling, momentum, and perspective shifts - the works.
- Contributed as part of a small team of remote freelancers working within a larger internal Disney team as part of a major redesign of Disney.com.
- Attended daily scrum meetings with a healthy dose of weekly accountability.
- Executed a fully finalized design with no room for improvization.
- Split the project into a series of library modules, models, skins, and views. Despite its massive size and complexity, it was easy to work parallel on different aspects with shared dependencies.
Front-end Developer2009 - 2009Adobe
Technologies: Flex, Adobe Flash
- Contributed to a rich internet application (RIA) with an Adobe team for The World Economic Forum in Davos.
- Worked with a client in a vastly different time zone, so I worked on Swiss time for many weeks from San Francisco.
- Developed a large number of UI template designs for profiles and panel sessions for the app, a blend of a Facebook-style social network and event organizer for conference attendees.
Full-stack Developer2009 - 2009Compassionate Communications
Technologies: Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, ActionScript 3, Flex, Adobe Flash
- Built and integrated a custom back-end solution with third-party services, such as Enthusem. As a print-on-demand greeting card service for hospital patients, the Flex client UI had to render realistic card previews from a user form.
- Since there could be several points of failure in creating and sending a greeting card, the client and back-end had to robustly handle errors from local, remote, and third-party sources.
- Delivered a high-quality product within a limited time frame in collaboration with another remote developer.
Co-founder2009 - 2009Topicfox
Technologies: XMPP, Cisco Jabber, Openfire, Red5, ActionScript 3, Flex, Adobe Flash
- Created a white-label IM solution with other former Userplane employees.
- Applied my skills and knowledge from prior engagements towards solving the same problems in new and creative ways.
- Learned that it's okay to let something fail if it's not working out as expected. My failures have taught me more than my successes ever could.
Senior Software Engineer2007 - 2009Userplane (AOL)
Technologies: ActionScript 3, Adobe AIR, Flex, Adobe Flash
- Designed and managed Userplane's suite of cutting-edge rich internet applications (RIAs) using Adobe Flash, Flex, and AIR.
- Familiarized myself intimately with chat and audio and video (A/V) technologies, particularly how fickle they can be on different hardware and behind firewalls.
- Introduced to Agile software development and explained software to marketers.
- Coded and designed for a community-based software designed for hundreds and thousands of concurrent users.
- Acted as manager and had several responsibilities, including hiring, firing, mentoring freshman developers, and guiding a team towards their goals.
Software Engineer2003 - 2006Neurostar Solutions
Technologies: Subversion (SVN), Java
- Contributed as part of a small team that developed Java-based medical imaging (DICOM) software used by hospitals and radiologists nationwide.
- Learned how to work collaboratively on an expansive codebase with a waterfall of dependencies.
- Received my first introduction to HIPAA compliance and opened my eyes to the importance of respecting user privacy in apps and online services.
- Focused foremost on building tools users can understand and operate, instead of elegance and beautiful design.
- Transformed the position from on-site to full-time remote.