Verified Expert in Engineering
Nikhil is a freelance software consultant and full-stack developer. He is currently focused on the Ruby on Rails platform and has been working with it since 2006. Before that, he's worked extensively with Java-based technologies and dabbled in PHP and Perl (since 1999).
Git, Vim Text Editor, Linux, OS X
The most amazing...
...thing I've done was to host a CRM system for call centers to manage out-bound calling and related operations.
- Migrated a monolithic Rails app to microservices.
- Enhanced an existing application which was built by the co-founder, who while tech savvy, wasn't a software developer.
- Tasked to clean-up the application and get it ready to meet the ongoing business requirements.
- Implemented gradual improvements to old code while continuing to add new features; it was challenging. I've been working on it since 2011 and I have guided several developers who have since then come aboard.
Web Developer (Freelance)
- Built Tentacle CRM—a call center management application-as-a-service. Technologies used: Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL. The application handles over 85,000 calls a day.
- Developed Megha—an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) application-as-a-service. This application was built using Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL. It allows companies to set up their menu for the call response and route calls to humans.
- Built Contests2Win—a popular casual gaming website in India. It was among the early entrants to the internet and had a large user base. I developed an online platform that enabled their users to generate contests and challenge other users.
- Developed apps for Orkut (Google's social network) using the newly launched OpenSocial API (2007). Contests2Win was approached by Google to create some applications using their, soon to be released, OpenSocial API. I, along with a team of developers, built apps related to social quizzing and polls in collaboration of Google's developers in Bangalore. The apps were built using Ruby on Rails and the OpenSocial API.
Co-founder | Managing Director
- Started this software company with another co-founder. I handled the technologies and services. We eventually sold the company to an IT services company in Bangalore, India.
- Developed a content management system (CMS) using Java, Servlets, and JSP. The CMS was used by several large corporations to manage their websites.
- Built and supported a call center management system for a large Insurance company in India. The application was built using J2EE (EJB, Servlets, JSP) and desktop Java. It was used to aid insurance agents and call center operators to manage inquiries, claims, renewals, endorsements, and sales calls. The system was originally built as a stop-gap solution to manage the call center while they implemented a well-known CRM, but they ended up using the system for over 10 years.
- Recruited and managed a team of 15 developers. Since I was the co-founder, I had to perform multiple roles ranging from HR to hands-on software development and sales presentations.
Technologies: Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL
Megha | Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
Open Town Hall
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Bootstrap 3+, Bootstrap 2
PostgreSQL, MySQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3)
Node.js, Facebook API, React
Vim Text Editor, Git, Apache HTTP Server, Jira
OS X, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon EC2, Linux, Unix, FreeBSD, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Docker
Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Engineering
University of Mumbai - Mumbai, India