PHP Developer in Mexico City, Mexico
Volunteer Software Developer2018 - PRESENTContribution to Gentoo Linux
Technologies: Bash, Python, C
- Opted to become a Gentoo contributor after being a Gentoo user for more than five years.
- Contributed as a developer—and not on a user—level furthered my understanding of how package managers work and, in particular, Gentoo's portage; dealt with C, Python, and peaked into the inner workings of Gnome desktop manager.
- Maintained or introduced packages that I actually use in Gentoo.
- Became active in the Gentoo community as well as in Drupal helped me to reflect on the pros and cons of each one.
- Learned how different communities approach similar problems on a technical and organization level.
Senior Drupal Architect | Team Lead2016 - PRESENTWebsolutions Agency
Technologies: Drupal, PHP, Apache, MySQL, jQuery, Varnish, Git, Solr, Redis
- Worked for Websolutions Agency, an outsourcing company which has given me the chance to see how development work is approached in various types of companies.
- Acted as a team lead by mentoring, supporting, and guiding multiple team members.
- Multitasked well and worked on various projects simultaneously.
- Led the team development for a legacy enterprise Drupal project; took away from this project the importance of making correct architectural decisions early on in the design process.
- Migrated, with zero downtime, the back-end search facilities to another provider for the official Croatian Tourism Board website.
Volunteer Developer2012 - PRESENTContributions on Drupal.org
Technologies: Drupal, PHP, jQuery, Apache, MySQL
- Act as a co-maintainer on the top 10 Drupal module, Webform.
- Designed flexible architectures.
- Maintained the modules' documentation.
- Ensured that the modules are portable as they are executed across a multitude of configurations and environments.
- Integrated, on a number of occasions, modules with external tools or other contributed modules—expanding my overall knowledge of the Drupal ecosystem and exposing me to a number of contributed modules on a deeper level.
- Constantly security audited the Drupal source code—identifying, reporting, and fixing a number of exploits throughout these years.
CEO2016 - 2018PostMex
Technologies: Drupal, PHP, Apache, PostgreSQL, Nginx, jQuery, Linux
- Gained incredibly valuable experience on how business, sales, positioning, and marketing work.
- Managed and was in charge of creating business ideas, marketing, and sales.
- Implemented and ran Drupal on a PostgreSQL RDBMS.
- Developed PostMex, a versatile platform for instant pricing of shipping quotes. It features a high degree of flexibility and performance.
- Built the platform with rich feature set which allowed me to implement it for the Mexican and Croatian markets.
- Tested the boundaries of my technical/engineering capacity.
- Developed a custom framework for asynchronously executing Linux processes from PHP.
Senior Drupal Programmer2014 - 2015Sequencing LLC
Technologies: Drupal, PHP, Apache, MySQL, jQuery, Sass, Varnish, Nginx, Git
- Engineered Drupal 7 into a complicated C# system.
- Performance and security tuned application and server.
- Worked in a startup environment with a large number of unknowns and moving targets.
- Worked with a remote team where the members were changing on a frequent basis; I had to expand my soft skillset.
- Developed an enterprise-level platform which deepened my understanding of Drupal 7 on a new level of quality.
- Wrote an intense amount of custom code which expanded my skills in architecting software.
- Architected and then coded a complex framework based on the Drupal 7 Form API to dynamically construct forms based on metadata supplied from the C# system.
IT Director2010 - 2015Global Forwarding Enterprises LLC
Technologies: Drupal, PHP, CSS, jQuery, Apache, MySQL, Linux, Bash, SVN
- Progressed from a developer position to the level of IT director.
- Reported directly to the CEO of the company where I perfected my communication skills especially with non-technical stakeholders.
- Managed and was in charge of the development of an enterprise-scale platform for five years.
- Implemented performance optimization.
- Emphasized the importance of architecture which led to the success of an enterprise project.
- Implemented a complex cargo world-wide routing system based on freight parameters and a set of available shipping rates.
PHP Developer2007 - 2008Express IT Soft
- Obtained a web developer position at the age of 15.
- Gained my initial exposure to the world of web development.
- Developed with CMS.
- Learned the basics of HTTP protocol.
- Delivered my first full-scale website from the PSD mockups all the way to the live deployment.
- Platform for Worldwide Cargo Shipment Quotations (Development)http://ocean.globalforwarding.com
I have been working as the IT director of the company at the time when the platform was in development. I owned the full responsibility for the technical success of the platform and at the time, was reporting directly to the CEO of the company.
- Platform for Online Human DNA Analysis (Development)https://sequencing.com/
I was working as a senior Drupal programmer during development of this platform. My engagement with Sequencing.com happened early in the development process where most of the platform existed only in our imagination and not in actual code which forced me to take crucial decisions on its architecture.
- Speaker at OSCAL, Albania, 2018 (Other amazing things)
An international congress dedicated to the topic of open source software and community diversity, carried out on May 19-20, 2018. I presented “Contribution to Open Source” and "Website Vulnerabilities"
- Speaker at DORS/CLUC, Croatia, 2018 (Other amazing things)
An international conference dedicated to the topic of open source software, carried out on Apr 19-20, 2018.
I have presented “Architecture Your Code” and held the workshop "Website Vulnerabilities: Attack and Defense"
- Speaker at Free Security Congress 2017, Mexico (Other amazing things)
An international congress dedicated to the topic of digital security and open source software, carried out on May 17-19, 2017. I presented “What is it Like to Contribute to Open Source?” and held the workshop "Website Vulnerabilities: Attack and Defense"
ToolsApache, Nginx, Git, Subversion (SVN), Varnish, Apache Solr
StorageMySQL, Redis, PostgreSQL, Memcached
OtherHTTP, APIs, Team Mentoring, Gentoo, Linux Kernel, Security Audits
- Bachelor's degree in Automated System Software Engineering2008 - 2013Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding - Mykolaiv, Ukraine
- Completed credits towards a bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems2009 - 2010Lamar Community College - Lamar, CO, USA