Platform Engineer (Contract)2020 - PRESENTWestpac New Zealand, Limited
Technologies: Elasticsearch, Grafana, Prometheus, Jenkins, Kubernetes
- Migrated Java applications from a legacy infrastructure to a Kubernetes environment.
- Implemented visibility and monitoring via metrics to Prometheus and Grafana and logs to the Elasticsearch cluster.
- Improved the developer experience by prebuilding containers for local development and maintenance for legacy Java apps.
Security Engineer2015 - 2020Xero
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Jenkins, Python, Docker, AWS
- Contributed to Netflix's open-source tool, Security Monkey (now unfortunately discontinued) by implementing RBAC across the front end and back end.
- Built a fully automated CI/CD pipeline that deployed applications into AWS ECS via AWS CodePipeline and CodeBuild.
- Implemented auditing and compliance automation across a fleet of ~100 AWS accounts with Lambda, cross-account IAM roles.
- Consulted with product teams on secure, best practices and cost savings in the AWS architecture.
- Validated platform and application level security issues—command injection, cache poisoning, token misuse, server-side request forgery (SSRF), domain hijacking, and more.
- Led development of DevSecOps practice at Xero, implementing various automated tools into the development pipeline to give Security and developers greater confidence in the security of their applications before deploying. Attended DevSecCon Seattle which was a great opportunity to talk to world leaders in the space.