Senior Back-end Developer2020 - 2020Via Toptal
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Mapbox, AWS, PostgreSQL, Ruby on Rails 5
- Developed a web app for online international education communities, connecting English language students to native English-speaking tutors as a social learning platform.
- Developed data visualization using Mapbox to help solar installation companies identify the best position location for break-even years.
- Set up the deployment process and AWS, the database for the application.
Product Strategist, Architect, and Advisor2020 - 2020UniHyr
Technologies: Jenkins, CircleCI, Jira, AWS Rekognition, Amazon Route 53, AWS ElastiCache, Relational Database Services (RDS), AWS S3, AWS EC2, Spring, MySQL, Java
- Led the design and development of the software platform of the recruitment marketplace (Java, Spring, MySQL) for employers to hire faster and at a lower commission rate.
- Designed the system and database architecture for a Tiktok and Tinder-style video-based hiring product for grey/blue-collar hiring. Tools used: Java, Springboot, MySQL, Android, React, and API design.
- Spearheaded project management, sprints, best-practices/systems, and processes implementation. Implemented systems and processes such as Jira, Sentry, and development sprints. Implemented continuous integration using Jenkins CircleCI.
- Developed the API back end in Ruby on Rails 5 for blue-collar bulk-hiring and outsourced hiring management.
Founder and CEO2018 - 2020Croftr
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS RDS, Relational Database Services (RDS), AWS, Google Cloud, Java, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
- Built a 4-acre farm and a successful B2C brand from scratch.
- Designed and developed Crop planning and customer management product using Ruby on Rails and MySQL hosted on Amazon AWS EC2 and RDS.
- Recognized with startup status by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT). (Government of India).
Product Strategist and Digital Transformation Consultant2017 - 2019Freelancer
Technologies: Trello, Asana, Jira, Dropbox, Google, WordPress, Java, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
- Developed a generic web scraping framework using JUnit, Java and other scraper frameworks.
- Initiated an online lead generation system and marketing campaign for a leading real estate consultant firm using Java and Ruby on Rails. Grew their incoming queries by 50% MoM.
- Created processes and a document management system for a leading chartered accountant using Ubuntu server and Dropbox. This greatly helped them recover from a major malware attack.
- Delivered a strong online presence, communication system, and processes for a playschool using DropBox, Google Drive and Google Cloud.
- Developed a document management system using Java and Dropbox APIs.
- Set up an online presence for a top-rated resort and booking engine using WordPress, resulting in a revenue increase by 2X.
Vice President of Product2016 - 2017Zomato
Technologies: MySQL, Java, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
- Integrated Zomato with third-party POS systems that solved a significant challenge for restaurateurs. Tech used: Ruby on Rails, Java, AWS.
- Designed a callback system and database architecture for third-party API integration systems.
- Upgraded Rails to version 5 and completed many feature enhancements in a delivery optimization SaaS product.
- Designed and developed the API back end in Ruby on Rails for an online food ordering system.
Founder and CEO2014 - 2016Sparse Labs
Technologies: DigitalOcean, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google API, Cloud Telephony, AWS, Android, MySQL, Java, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
- Bootstrapped a B2B SaaS startup for hyper-local delivery optimization. Designed the system architecture, APIs, and database. Integrated with third-party system APIs (POS, online food ordering systems) and provided a callback mechanism.
- Developed mobile apps (Android Java), web app (AngularJS), API back end (Ruby on Rails), Socket Server (Java), and hardware-based products (GPS trackers),.
- Acquired in 2016 by Zomato after finding it to be a great fit. As part of the acquisition, joined Zomato as the vice president of products.
Blogger2007 - 2014Personal Finance Blog
Technologies: DigitalOcean, Linode, PHP, WordPress, Django
- Built and published one of the most downloaded income tax calculators in India. Setup Wordpress blog on pankajbatra.com.
- Authored articles on personal finance such as income tax and investments. Thousands of people have benefited by reading these articles.
- Considered one of the top personal finance blogs in India. Seen as the top website for multiple finance-related terms on Google search.
Technical Architect2010 - 2011Educomp
Technologies: PHP, MySQL, Spring, Java, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
- Built Eduignite, a career counselling and assessment product from scratch using Ruby on Rails, MySQL in collaboration with one of the best minds in India in the education space.
- Empowered students to understand themselves and make the best academic and career choices in life. Led a team of ten people consisting of marketers, content writers, and teachers.
- Designed the system architecture and database for the assessment and counselling system.
Founding Member and Technical Architect2007 - 2010StudyPlaces.com
Technologies: PHP, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, MySQL, Java
- Built a lead management system in Spring, Java, MySQL from scratch to capture lead lifecycle and better utilization rate. Developed a call management system in Spring, Java, MySQL for telemarketers and automatic distribution with a matching engine.
- Created India's first online college application platform in Spring, Java, MySQL.
- Delivered a marketing automation product (campaign management system) in Spring, Java with landing page generation for SEM and other online marketing requirements.
- Designed system architecture and database system for the lead management system, college online application system and marketing automation.
Product Team Lead2006 - 2007Tribal Fusion, Exponential Interactive
Technologies: Web Scraping, Facebook API, Spring, Java
- Developed a contextual ad serving platform in Java. Built Scraper to scrape website contents and crawl them on a recurring basis.
- Created geographical (geo-targeted) serving platforms in Java for the advertising industry.
- Delivered Facebook API integration in Java on the launch for an ad product.
Senior Software Engineer2003 - 2006Fiorano
Technologies: MySQL, JMS, Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), SOA, Java
- Chosen ahead of other team players from IITs for US-based client-facing opportunities. One of the best performers in the company. Received a 4X salary hike in six months due to outstanding performance.
- Saved over $2,000/per month for the company in the first month of joining by building an in-house email marketing automation tool to replace their previous one; VerticalResponse.
- Developed integration adapters (DB, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, File, JMS, MSMQ, Tibco, HTTP) for Fiorano SOA2006 and Fiorano ESB in Java.
- Acted as the sales engineer and built a proof-of-concept for various prospects-applications using Fiorano ESB and Fiorano MQ.
- Participated as a core team member of the world's first JMS (java messaging service) compliant server: FioranoMQ.
Founder and CTO2002 - 2005Net4Engineers
Technologies: MySQL, Java
- Developed a social network for engineers. This was an internet start-up ahead of its time—the first portal to create Facebook-like pages for colleges.
- Created SMS4India-an online platform to send messages from the web to mobiles. It was an industry first.
- Delivered ExamOnline: A web-based solution that can be used both on intranet and internet for conducting multiple-choice question-based tests.