Verified Expert in Engineering
Paul specializes in designing and building complex, data-intensive systems that exceed client expectations. With over 10 years of experience across industries, including financial services, logistics, and utilities, Paul has developed a philosophy that focuses on deeply understanding the business requirements and organizational context. This understanding enables Paul to build the systems his clients need and to ensure those systems are easy to use, reliable, and maintainable.
SQL Server 2016, Oracle Database, .NET, Excel Expert, Excel VBA, VBScript, Python, SQL, Azure SQL, Git
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is a federal COVID-19 financial relief system that provided billions of dollars to small businesses on time.
Application Development Manager
- Led the design and development of analytical data processing system to identify ineligible loans in the COVID-19 relief loan program to support issuing demand letters.
- Designed an approach for identifying and resolving discrepancies among five interconnected data sets, each potentially with data quality issues, to confirm the completeness of over $40 billion of loan data and the correctness of key details.
- Supported business investigations of customer-facing issues with detailed and accurate stories of customer and system activity based on broad analytical querying of the database.
Application Development Associate Manager
- Built valuable systems for major clients, including Bank of Montreal, CIBC, Government of Canada, and Royal Bank of Canada, as part of Accenture from 2017 onwards and as part of Verax Solutions from 2014 until our 2017 acquisition by Accenture.
- Managed projects that included over $40 billion COVID-19 relief program, bank-wide regulatory reporting systems liquidity risk, asset and liability management, CDIC resolution plan, and online banking system improvements.
- Provided extensive, detailed feedback on specifications for loan application and approval processing, catching issues that would have resulted in data integrity issues, faulty system behavior relative to business expectations, and performance issues.
- Developed T-SQL stored procedures, functions, and data models to implement complex loan application intake and approval processing business logic with correctness, performance, and traceability.
- Supported business and operations stakeholders by providing custom data extracts and by providing precise and detailed explanations of non-obvious issues with and interactions within business logic, and ultimately implementing fixes to requirements.
- Collaborated with other technical team members providing code reviews and mentorship on effective coding, troubleshooting, and resolving logic and performance issues. Facilitated clear and effective communication with the business team.
- Developed practices for effective source code, environment, and release management. These practices resulted in fast and reliable deployments and effortless reproduction of the production environment for developers to reproduce potential defects.
- Built modular, configurable, maintainable, and usable software for managing large data processing batches. The software allowed operations team members to diagnose and fix issues and implement small changes strictly through configuration.
- Managed and developed databases and software using metadata and code generation, facilitating significant building functionality with less time and effort while working within the client's technical and operational constraints.
- Performed process improvements and tool development, reducing manual effort, including test execution, test data analysis, and reference data management. This work allowed the business team to focus on their work rather than low-level details.
- Helped save a bad software deployment, an intractable database deadlocks, by recommending MVCC Snapshot isolation be enabled.
- Fixed numerous performance problems by profiling and fixing application code and fixing database issues, including row-by-row processing, missing indexes, and query optimization.
- Developed features and maintained a warehouse management system.
Development Coordinator and Analyst
- Implemented and designed algorithms for reducing energy costs subject to operational constraints and quantified cost savings of each scenario.
- Designed and built a database tracking the electricity market and customer usage data.
- Created data entry and import tools for the electricity market and customer usage database.
Developer, Tester, Analyst
- Developed a web application for tracking and managing engineering drawings at a small, local hydroelectric company. Worked directly with the end user, a civil engineer, from requirements elicitation to acceptance.
- Developed a web application for breaking down and explaining electricity bills. Worked directly with stakeholders, the president of an energy consumer advocacy group, from requirements elicitation to acceptance.
- Supported an engineering group at a large electricity transmission company in managing grid protection and control equipment and settings across Ontario. Performed UAT testing, custom data extracts, and custom MS Access application.
Basel III Data Warehouse UAT
My tools cut out massive amounts of manual efforts, such as test execution cycles going from 3-5 people for 1-2 weeks down to one person for one hour, which resulted in faster turnaround and reduced errors. It also freed personnel up to do higher-value work.
Federal COVID-19 Relief Program
As I built my credibility on the team, I was given the opportunity to provide analysis and feedback on requirements and design implementations. I earned a promotion directly based on my contributions and performance in this project.
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, Git, Microsoft Access, Subversion (SVN), Tableau
SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2008, SQL Stored Procedures, Databases, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, PL/SQL, Database Architecture, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Azure SQL, Apache Derby
Excel Expert, Data Analysis, Analytics, Data Analytics, Database Schema Design, Engineering, Source Control Management, SaaS, Data Engineering, Data Profiling, Data Cleansing, CSV File Processing, CSV Export, CSV Import, Data Visualization, Data Build Tool (dbt), Data Architecture, Azure Data Factory, Code Review, Parsers, Release Management
Oracle Database, Oracle, Azure
Windows Forms (WinForms)
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering Science
University of Toronto - Toronto, Canada