Peter James Row
Peter has 5 years of Python experience in a scientific research environment. He has also been coding for iOS for 1 year, and has made two personal apps on the App Store: a physics-based game using Cocos2D (the predecessor to SpriteKit) and an educational app.
ExperienceDebugging - 7 yearsPython - 5 yearsSciPy - 5 yearsTornado - 3 yearsSQL - 3 yearsDjango - 1 yearObjective-C - 1 yeariOS - 1 year
Terminal, Unit, Subversion (SVN), Mercurial, Git, Linux, OS X
The most amazing...
...app I've made is a Chinese flashcard app for iOS using spaced repetition, SQLite, asynchronous programming, and Python to build the datasets.
- Developed and shipped a physics-based game using Cocos2D and Chipmunk Physics.
- Developed and shipped a spaced repetition flashcard learning system for iOS.
- Created flashcard datasets using data mining techniques with Python.
- Created web sites to market the app, integrating Google Analytics.
- Reformatted public domain Chinese classic novels to allow users to learn words in context.
- Added text to speech.
- Used asynchronous techniques to improve database access.
- Added C extension functions to SQLite.
- Made extensive use of Unicode and Natural Language parsing / processing.
- Ported an earthquake risk model simulator from MATLAB to Python, performed optimizations, and validated it against the original.
- Added features to a Python shallow water tsunami model and added integration with a Fortran deep water model.
- Maintained and extended scripts (using geospatial scripting) to build a catalogue of buildings in Australia.
- Significantly improved the performance of the earthquake risk model by porting some functions to C++.
- Developed unit tests, used version control, collaborated with team mates and other teams, created conversion scripts, and documentation.
Python, Objective-C, SQL, C, CSS, HTML
Tornado, Software Development, Debugging, Lean Development, Unicode, Data Mining, Unit
Django, Knockout (Knockout.js), Chipmunk, Cocos2d
NumPy, SciPy, jQuery
Asynchronous Programming, Unit Testing
MacOS, Linux, OS X, Windows, iOS
SQLite, Redis, PostgreSQL
MATLAB, Esri, NGINX, Google Analytics, Git, Mercurial, Subversion (SVN), Terminal
Bachelor of Science Degree in Applied Mathematics
Australian National University - Canberra