Ruby Developer in Champaign, IL, United States
Member since May 18, 2013
Peter is a full-stack web developer whose work in recent years has shifted toward the front-end, particularly React and Redux. He enjoys teaching others as much as he enjoys learning new concepts and tech. He has experience working on solo projects, large enterprise initiatives, and everything in between.
Web Front-end Developer2018 - 2018Clarity Money
Technologies: React, Redux, Sass, Webpack, ES6
- Enhanced and maintained a single-page app in the personal finance space.
- Implemented Plaid Link, which allows users to provide access to bank account transactions and balances.
- Improved analytics by implementing more granular tracking of user events.
- Upgraded Webpack and its configuration from v2 to v4.
Front-end Developer2017 - 2018Glider Technology
Technologies: React, Redux, TypeScript, Sass
- Implemented new features in TypeScript with React and Redux.
- Maintained existing code built with React, ES6+Flow, and Flux.
- Made occasional contributions to back-end services (ASP.NET).
- Developed styles/UX for new features with Sass.
- Collaborated with the product owner and back-end developers via Slack and video calls to fully spec out and plan implementation of new features.
Senior Front-end Developer2016 - 2017Verizon, Inc.
Technologies: ES6, React, Redux, Webpack, Node, CSS Modules, Sass
- Developed a large React and Redux-powered web app as part of a team building a TV streaming platform incorporating live and on-demand programs.
- Implemented OAuth2 authentication flow.
- Worked and communicated effectively as a remote worker on a team largely located in one office.
- Implemented server-side rendering with Node, Express, and Webpack 2.
- Collaborated with members of many other teams—QA, design, owners of various back-end services, product, etc.—to advance the web app and the product as a whole.
Front-end Developer2015 - 2016World Singles Networks
Technologies: React, Redux, Webpack, CSS Modules, Sass
- Created v2 of a white-label dating site with React.
- Collaborated with a fully remote team distributed across time zones including a UX designer, back-end developer, and ops.
- Developed Webpack configuration to build multiple style bundles corresponding to separate themes.
- Implemented i18n, including localization of RTL text.
- Interacted with the RESTful API to request and update data.
Senior Developer2014 - 2015American Spirit Graphics Corporation
- Set up and managed a complete development and deployment environment with continuous integration—including Git (hosted via Stash) for source control, JIRA for task tracking, Jenkins for builds, and a repository of Chef scripts for provisioning development and deployment servers in a repeatable way.
- Worked closely with the infrastructure team to ensure the development group and deployment servers had access to all necessary resources.
- Developed multiple internal web applications hosted on Apache, with Ruby on Rails-powered APIs on the back-end and React+Backbone on the front-end.
- Supported and maintained various legacy applications.
- Worked with management and stakeholders to gather requirements and ensure completed applications met and exceeded expectations.
Web Applications Developer2013 - 2014Imagine! Print Solutions
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Backbone, SVG, Underscore, RequireJS, SQL, C#
- Designed and implemented RESTful web services built with C#/ASP.NET MVC and Ruby on Rails.
- Interacted with various departments in order to quickly and efficiently produce print-ready content that met client expectations.
- Extended and maintained legacy Java and .NET applications.
- Did a "deep dive" on SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), researching extensively to use it in an interactive web application that ultimately produced a scalable, print-ready document.
Software Developer2013 - 2013Freelance
- Worked with clients to determine needs and deliverables.
- Made various improvements and updates to public-facing websites.
- Researched academic literature and implemented an algorithm for a volume-packing problem.
- Provided the results of the volume-packing solution via web service.
- Prototyped a solution using OptaPlanner, a Java-based planning engine.
.NET Developer2012 - 2013The Multi-Color Corporation
- Acted as primary developer for a critical client-facing ASP.NET web application.
- Improved TFS version control processes.
- Implemented site-wide error logging, allowing the team to respond quickly and effectively to issues.
- Modernized data access via improvements to Entity Framework-backed data services.
- Created and updated stored procedures, updated database schemas as necessary, and debugged occasional performance issues in SQL Server 2008.
Software Developer2011 - 2012Nebraska Global
Technologies: C#, SQL
- Worked with many aspects of the .NET platform, including C#, LINQ, ASP.NET, and WPF.
- Created and supported reports using SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Prototyped transition of the product back-end from Azure to Amazon Web Services.
- Maintained the ASP.NET MVC 2 website.
- Contributed to new development, bug fixes, deployment, etc. for the new product through launch and beyond.
- Worked as part of a team managed with Agile methodology.
Software Development Intern2010 - 2010Garmin International
- Developed various bug fixes and feature enhancements for existing products.
- Collaborated with UI designers on a new product prototype.
- Developed the initial UI for a product prototype.
- Worked on a small team of four developers.
- Developed a re-usable UI "gauge" component.
Undergraduate Researcher2009 - 2010University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Studied academic literature on constraint satisfaction problems.
- Implemented several CSP solving algorithms.
- Compared real-world performance of algorithms.
- Compiled results into a paper analyzing the various aspects of each algorithm.
- Used GDB to analyze performance bottlenecks.
Software Development Intern2009 - 2009Smart Information Flow Technologies
Technologies: Ruby, Lisp, Promela
- Worked independently on a contract for a large government client.
- Learned to use Promela and the SPIN model checker to simulate and model various processes.
- Worked on LaTeX report for contract.
- Analyzed results of model checker.
- Used Lisp (SBCL) to explore capabilities of CSP solving software.
- Memrise2Anki Extension (Development)https://github.com/pschlette/memrise2anki-extension
An extension for Anki, an open-source SRS/flashcard application, which allows users to easily import decks of flash cards from Memrise, including audio and images.
FrameworksRedux, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
ToolsVim Text Editor, Git
ParadigmsFunctional Programming, Agile Software Development
PlatformsDocker, Windows, Linux
StorageMicrosoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science and Mathematics2007 - 2011University of Nebraska-Lincoln - Lincoln, NE