Full-stack Software Architect | Manager
2017 - PRESENT
- Led the development of a large application for life science researchers, delivering a high-quality product on schedule (stack: React, TypeScript, Node.js, and Electron).
- Worked on a full-stack web app for managing product subscriptions which required quickly training team members to make further changes (stack: React, Node.js, and MySQL).
- Oversaw comprehensive automated testing of the new product, took the lead of ensuring the team achieved 85% total test code coverage and an ability to ship regularly with confidence.
- Identified and helped resolve technical and skills issues that hindered the team's progress, resulting in sustained team velocity even after 1.0 launch.
- Designed and helped develop a services-based architecture that effectively incorporated IP and algorithms developed over a period of 20 years and exposed them through an easy-to-use GUI and APIs.
- Worked in a management role and effectively combined development duties with the management of a successful development team of ten.
Full-stack Web Developer
2015 - 2017
- Helped develop an online learning platform for Universities teaching the Life Sciences, developing front-end components that enabled rich learning experiences for students.
- Integrated front-end components with the API layer and also through to the back-end when necessary, removing project bottlenecks and increasing team effectiveness significantly.
- Conducted empathy interviews with customers, translating their needs into software requirements.
- Took on ownership of complex areas of the product with very little supervision, freeing up others to work elsewhere. Acclimatized quickly to a new team and unfamiliar code-base, completing a significant feature within the first week.
2011 - 2015
- Led a development team of six that worked on maintaining and extending the company's main product, a research software desktop application for use by scientists around the world.
- Oversaw the team performance—hiring and training as well as release processes and shipping two major new versions of the product.
- Provided timely assistance to colleagues located in various offices around the world to ensure product requirements were well understood by the team.
- Oversaw the technical support for the product, achieving consistently fast response rates and good outcomes for customers experiencing issues.
Technologies: Express.js, Test-driven Development (TDD), React, Node.js, Visual Studio, Xcode, Biotech, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Desktop, Windows Forms, .NET, C#, C++
Software Engineer (Desktop)
2006 - 2011
- Migrated an existing standalone desktop application into the company's flagship product, including all key features within the required timeframe. This allowed the company to remove support for the legacy app and focus investment elsewhere.
- Gained a deep knowledge of a multi-million LOC codebase written in C++. This knowledge was key to efforts to extend the previously Windows-only desktop app to run on macOS X (and later Linux), increasing the product's total user base by 20%.
- Worked with business analysts to develop robust software algorithms for new, scientific research methods. Many users noted how well the algorithms worked on a wide variety of input data.
Technologies: Test-driven Development (TDD), Windows, Xcode, Biotech, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), MacOS, Objective-C, Windows Forms, .NET, C#, C++
Full-stack Software Developer
2005 - 2006
- Added a new role-based permissions model to a real-estate desktop publishing product which ensured all data for users in the system was secure and not accessible to others—critically important in this ultra-competitive space.
- Developed and updated SQL Server database queries which improved the performance of one of the product's core SQL stored procedures by a factor of 5x and resulted in a reduced database load of 30%.
- Found and fixed issues in the software and rapidly gained expertise working across different parts of the system.
Technologies: SQL, Windows, Visual Studio, Microsoft SQL Server, ASP.NET, C#