Systems Architect | Lead Software Engineer2016 - 2017Veri
- Designed the application and structure of the REST API that serves Veri’s product (a mobile video chat app); built using Node.js and a microservice-ready approach.
- Designed and deployed a scalable back-end infrastructure on AWS and Docker Cloud.
- Set up a fully an automated continuous delivery pipeline using Docker Cloud.
- Mentored the engineering team on development patterns and best practices.
- Maintained a technical roadmap of feature development and app releases in coordination with product owners, engineers, and external mobile development team.
Senior Software Engineer | Lead Software Engineer2011 - 2016Hootsuite
Technologies: PHP, REST APIs, Streaming APIs, OAuth, Microservices, MySQL, MongoDB, React.js, Scala, Python, Ansible, Vagrant, EC2, Payment Processing, Billing, Social Advertising
- Led and managed the social advertising team, specifically the development.
- Designed a billing and payments solution with anti-fraud measures for the ads product.
- Integrated and scaled a real-time tweet archiving service using Twitter’s streaming APIs. Added self-healing mechanisms that detect and reopen degraded connections.
- Designed a centralized solution for account authentication—allowing for multiple identity providers and protocols, including Twitter OAuth and SAML.
- Created a REST API design that included the addition of OAuth authentication to the mobile API.
- Researched and implemented a service that converts HTML into PDF documents to study the impact of partitioning and converting a shared code base into services.
- Developed a suite of self-contained PHP libraries used by multiple internal clients.
- Collaborated on the automation of infrastructure provisioning.
- Developed an app for the Hootsuite app directory in my spare time to integrate the European equivalent of LinkedIn and XING into Hootsuite.
Freelance Web Developer2006 - 2011Freelance
Technologies: PHP, MySQL, Linux, EC2, Payment Processing, osCommerce, jQuery
- Maintained an eCommerce system.
- Improved the order fulfillment process and inventory management for multiple warehouses.
- Added forecasting for purchase orders, fraud detection checks, and UX improvements for conversion optimization.
- Developed an application that assists in managing document lifecycles.
Web Developer2006 - 2007Invoke Company
Technologies: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.NET, FFmpeg, Linux, S3
- Developed and maintained several client sites and tools with unique requirements, including a native Visual Basic application to convert and upload videos.
- Collaborated on the development of an online music video platform.
- Constructed online video contest websites that eventually evolved into a product for managing online contests.
Software Developer | Network Administrator2005 - 2006Ohio State University Medical Center
Technologies: PHP, .NET, Windows Server, Active Directory, Linux, MS Access
- Developed native and web tools for clinical trial patient management using the .NET framework and PHP.
- Maintained the department's local network comprised of Windows servers and desktop computers.
- Configured and built desktop PCs from individually ordered parts.
- Provided IT support for the staff.
Co-op Student Worker2001 - 2004Fraunhofer Institute for Security in IT
Technologies: Information Security, Web Technologies
- Researched and developed software for the security assessments of IT infrastructures.