Verified Expert in Engineering
Phil is a full-stack web applications developer who has spent time on the Microsoft stack and in the Rails shop and is now working with a statically-typed language. He has worked in investment banking and federal contracting at business-to-business and consumer finance startups. Phil loves loosely-coupled, orthogonal software components written in concise, declarative code.
Vue, C#.NET, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Java
The most amazing...
...thing I've implemented is a distributed decision engine linking machine learning models and expert systems to produce the best available results in real-time.
- Served as a software engineer specialized in performance optimization for recurring back-end processes implemented in Java against a MySQL datastore. Reduced runtime and memory usage by 30 to 60%.
- Designed and implemented a data model, processors, and back-end support for new features and products.
- Collaborated with accounting and finance teams to design and implement systems and processes for end-of-quarter and end-of-year tax and regulatory compliance requirements.
Senior Software Engineer
- Reimplemented SmartDisposition, a decision engine that connected machine learning models, various data sources, and expert systems to produce the best available decisions in real-time, including a custom domain-specific language for configuration.
- Built quantitative models for key business processes to leverage more data into better decision making.
- Developed across the entire stack, from the Vue.js web UI to the Apache Kafka message bus to deliver scalable, performant, and maintainable software.
Senior Software Developer
- Led a team that developed a case management system for the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Developed a survey collection web application for the United States Department of Education.
- Saved a project that was poorly scoped and behind schedule and led an accelerated development effort to deliver it on time and under budget.
SmartDisposition for Optoro
I reimplemented the entire application using the Ruby concurrency library and designed a custom domain-specific language for configuring the dependency graph that enabled loose coupling between the graph nodes.
Because the parts of the system all varied in their degree of CPU usage, I/O usage, and reliability, this enabled us to have a robust, performant system that maximized throughput, minimized latency, and could handle failures gracefully.
Hibernate, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
RDBMS, PostgreSQL, MySQL
Vue, React, Entity Framework
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
University of Maryland - College Park, MD
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Anthropology
Yale University - New Haven, CT