Senior Back-end Ruby Developer2017 - 2019Toptal
Technologies: Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, PostgreSQL, Test-driven Development (TDD), RSpec, Redis, Linux, Haml, Capistrano, Sidekiq, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Team Mentoring, Git, Architecture
- Tuned Sidekiq to meet 99.99% SLA on processing latency in mere seconds.
- Got to the bottom of Sidekiq rolling restarts issues with Capistrano-style deployments.
- Wrote and open-sourced the ActiveJob/Sidekiq best practices and style guide.
- Fixed all the unverified doubles in the test suite, counting almost a thousand.
- Led the development of a queue-based distributed test runner for RSpec.
- Discovered and addressed edge cases with let_it_be, caching test helper.
- Open-sourced a number of the company's internal tools.
- Shared my experience with colleagues and encouraging them to share their own experiences in kind.
Ruby on Rails Developer2015 - 2016Clickfunnels (via Toptal)
- Maintained the back end of a world-leading landing page builder.
- Improved test coverage and decoupled a monolithic application into its individual components.
- Added transparent third-party API introspection in a multi-tenant environment.
- Tracked down the most mysterious bugs still in the system.
Senior Ruby Developer2014 - 2015DataArt
Technologies: Backbone.js, Java, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, RSpec, Linux, Sidekiq, MongoDB, Team Mentoring
- Maintained a massive Ruby on Rails application and reworked legacy code that was hard to comprehend.
- Improved the front and back ends and introduced tools to allow direct development on local machines over a VPN instead of a remote desktop.
- Reviewed code and mentored colleagues throughout the process.
Co-founder and Rails Back-end Engineer2014 - 2014Skillpocket
- Developed the back end of a marketplace platform, website, and mobile API.
- Implemented geo matching and developed a matching algorithm using multiple parameters.
- Maintained and tweaked the platform under rapidly changing marketing strategies.
- Kept the code clean, readable, and rock-solid even after all major changes were implemented.
Software Engineer2011 - 2013Bandwidth Labs (via OnTarget)
- Created a working prototype of a SMS spam detection system aimed at mobile network operators.
- Developed a back-end authorization system for a bleeding edge WiFi HotSpot 2.0 wireless roaming service.
- Helped improve the development process.
- Developed architecture for applications, choosing the best tools to fit the task.
Web Developer2008 - 2010SAP AG (via Softwerke)
Technologies: Spring, Java
- Developed an internal system for document management as part of the internal team.
- Participated in adoption of a continuous integration system.
- Improved security framework significantly with a roles and permissions system.
- Helped with server configuration management.
- Led technical interviews and hired some youth developers that became invaluable for the company.
Java Developer2005 - 2008NEON/IBM/Arsenal/Bank of America/AT&T/Visual Mining (via BridgeQuest Labs, Inc.)
- Created rich UI with Swing.
- Created database migration tool to ensure data integrity between schema versions.
- Supported an Eclipse plugin to visualize data.
- Created new data visualizations with HTML and JS.
- Kept eye on code quality, performing refactoring and code review.