Verified Expert in Engineering
Porin is a seasoned software engineer specializing in the development of distributed, highly-scalable systems. With hands-on experience managing large-scale applications that handle hundreds of millions of customer requests daily and sustainably process over a billion database records, his expertise stands unparalleled. Using his background in mathematics and theoretical computer science, Porin not only delves deep into a wide range of topics but also consistently delivers top-tier code.
Docker, Python, GitLab, GitHub, Trello, Jira, PyCharm, Skype, Slack, Linux
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is an API that was crucial for my current company to close a large deal with a new customer (a major name in the IT industry).
Senior Python Developer
- Introduced a self-serve password reset feature in the library management system, eliminating the need for librarians and admins to rely on customer support.
- Enhanced the library card management application with a GIS API integration, streamlining location input and editing processes.
- Achieved a significant 600% increase in Mypy type checking coverage, reinforcing code quality.
- Improved the library card application's security by adopting industry-leading practices and patching known vulnerabilities.
- Added new features, fixed bugs, and maintained code for the library, ebooks, and virtual library card applications.
Python Back-end Engineer
Rhapsody - Main
- Migrated parts of a music content streaming platform's old monolith Java-based code to Python microservice architecture.
- Migrated old Oracle DB schemas to MongoDB to increase the content streaming platform's flexibility.
- Increased the new microservice platform's unit test coverage by 20%.
- Designed and developed a full-stack application for an early-stage HR startup from the ground up. The application was written in Django and used PostgreSQL as a database layer.
- Set up the whole infrastructure on a Google Kubernetes Engine with PostgreSQL and Google Cloud Storage. Deployed a Django application to the infrastructure.
- Created a CI/CD process for testing and automatic deployment of the Django application using GitHub Actions.
- Wrote and deployed multiple cron jobs on the Google Kubernetes Engine.
- Created a Slack bot in Python and integrated it with the Django application.
- Contributed to a project for a startup in the healthcare industry. Architected and developed the whole back-end system using Python and Flask.
- Integrated PostgreSQL as a database layer to the Python Flask application.
- Deployed the Flask application to the Amazon Elastic Container Service (ECS) and integrated continuous deployment with GitHub Actions.
- Integrated the Auth0 authorization back end for the Python Flask application to support all of the healthcare application's needs.
Exodus Intelligence, LLC
- Migrated the Python Flask application from PostgreSQL to MongoDB, which increased the application's flexibility and accelerated the development of new features.
- Developed new features and improved old parts of the code of the Python Flask application that is used by a large portion of IT security researchers.
- Migrated the Python Flask application from Python 2 to Python 3, which increased security, modernized the application, and decreased technical debt.
- Designed and developed a high throughput POC for serving files backed by MongoDB.
- Migrated parts of the back-end system from an in-house developed NoSQL database to ScyllaDB.
- Developed and monitored a procedure for the transition of 1 PB of files from the old storage system to the new low-latency and high-availability system.
- Maintained and further improved the API access management system.
- Improved application monitoring, logging, and error-tracking systems.
- Designed and developed APIs that handled several million customer requests per day.
- Participated in the preparation and execution of deployment of back-end architecture on the Docker Swarm platform.
- Helped with the incident response of the back-end system that consistently had 99.99% availability.
- Mentored student interns and helped onboard new team members.
- Tested customer-facing APIs that served over 200 million requests per day.
- Documented a procedure for adding a new AV scanner to the company's file scanning system.
- Fixed bugs on several back-end services and APIs written in Python.
- Checked and fixed the documentation for all customer-facing APIs.
Summer Student Intern
Ericsson Nikola Tesla
- Worked on a project called concept parametrization as part of the summer camp program.
- Used a combination of image processing and machine learning techniques.
- Built a prototype application for concept parametrization of fruit images using Python, OpenCV, and R language.
Django Full-stack Web Application
Back-end System for an Up-and-coming Healthcare Startup
Files Serving a Back-end System Using MongoDB
Migration of a Back-end Subsystem to ScyllaDB
Technologies: Python, ScyllaDB, RabbitMQ, NoSQL
First Aid Android Apphttps://github.com/pcustic/PrvaPomoc
Django, Flask, Bootstrap
REST APIs, SQLAlchemy, jQuery, OpenCV, React, Django ORM, Slack API, Google APIs, Chart.js, Mypy
Slack, Skype, Trello, GitHub, Git, PyCharm, Jira, RabbitMQ, Docker Swarm, GitLab, Docker Compose, Celery, Pytest, Travis CI, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), NGINX, Auth0, uWSGI, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Cron, Terraform
RESTful Development, Microservices, Kanban, Automation, REST, Back-end Architecture, Unit Testing, API Architecture, ETL
Databases, NoSQL, MongoDB, JSON, PostgreSQL, InfluxDB, MySQL, SQLite, Cloud Deployment, Redis, ScyllaDB, Google Cloud, Google Cloud Storage, Elasticsearch, Amazon DynamoDB
Algorithms, API Integration, Architecture, Web Development, Solution Architecture, Distributed Systems, APIs, Back-end, Message Queues, Back-end Development, System Architecture, Web Servers, Enterprise Architecture, Third-party APIs, Bots, FastAPI, Pydantic, CSV File Processing, Cloud Architecture, Cloud, Data Analysis, Deployment, Integration, Full-stack Development, Software Architecture, Data Scraping, Webhooks, DocumentDB, Nomad, GitHub Actions, CI/CD Pipelines, Slackbot, Slack App, SSL Certificates, HTTPS, Ajax, Full-stack, Video Streaming, Audio, RESTful Microservices, Web Scraping, ChatGPT, Geospatial Data
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Docker, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Kubernetes, Django CMS, AWS Lambda, Amazon EC2
Master's Degree in Computer Science and Mathematics
University of Zagreb - Zagreb, Croatia
Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics
University of Zagreb - Zagreb, Croatia
Docker Deep Dive
Google Cloud Concepts
Algorithms: Design and Analysis, Part 1
Stanford University via Coursera